Menu

Senn several "printer/ink" shopping posts lately. Please read.

Please google about Continuous Ink Supply/ Systems (CIS/S). Only certain printers accept them, but if you are shopping for a printer, too, it is worth looking into. We spent 35$ on the initial setup. No ink mess to deal with. And we spend about 25$ a year. I don't limit my printing in anyway. I buy most digital curriculum and print my own out.

I don't sell printers or CISS, so feel free to ask me any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

We got a brand new Epson R280 from ebay for around 50$ (but this was years ago). We are very happy with the model, but absolutely set on Epsons in general now on. Back when we first bought it, we had some issues- don't remember what- called Epson, they sent us ANOTHER printer AND didn't want the old one back! Of course, it's also been ticking along just fine for all these years. Never experienced that with a printer before.

The ebay seller we used (and have used over and over again for bulk ink and -recently- our second CISS) was

http://stores.ebay.com/Super-Premium-Electronics?_rdc=1.

He also has a separate website, but we've never purchases that way- felt ebay provided a bit more protection.

http://www.continuousbulkinksupplysystems.com/

That's so interesting. I had never heard of this.

Is this just for the color inks? I print most things in black and white on my current printer. I see a lot of the printers that use these are used for printing photos so full color.

I wonder how the cost compares if a person primarily prints documents in black and white.

What you get when you order it is -cartridges already modified and attached to tubing, attached to the bulk ink bottles. All you do is install the cartridges like you would install brand new regular cartridges (just be mindful of the attached tubes so they don't get caught on anything). It is really that simple.

If you are shopping around (especially on ebay) DO NOT purchase one of these if you have to assemble it yourself. I think the trick in a good CISS is the vacuum they create -from the cartridge -through the tubing -and into the bottles. I don't know how you create this with a do-it-yourself kit.

As far as cost with black and white ink- the only experience I have is with the Epson R280. It is a photo printer, but I hardly print photos (we just prefer to keep them digital). My understand (with this particular printer and I would assume others) is, they actually pull ink from all colors to create black intentionally so you have to replace all ink cartridges, not just the cheaper black. I have gone through periods of just black and white printing and all colors will be depleted. There really is no reason to intentionally print black only, with this. Now, I do have to replace black more frequently than the other colors (as in filling up the bottles). But it's not any cheaper that way. When I buy bulk ink -about 1x a year- I buy a pack of all 6 colors (for my particular printer) AND a pack of black only because I run out of it more quickly. I don't think I have ever spent more than 25$ and that is for a year's worth of unlimited (in quantity and color) printing. I looked into replacement cartridges this last time I bought ink because I needed ink ASAP before the CISS arrived. 60$ for a set for my printer! Yes, that was brand new, but generic. And those cartridges would have lasted a month with all of the printing I do. (I've been the route of refilling cartridges with a syringe- will not go there again.)

If there are more questions, feel free to keep them coming. I would be glad to answer them for you. One suggestion would be to watch a video of some kind on it. I just couldn't wrap my brain around how it until I watched a video.

• 3 weeks later...

When I buy bulk ink -about 1x a year- I buy a pack of all 6 colors (for my particular printer) AND a pack of black only because I run out of it more quickly. I don't think I have ever spent more than 25$ and that is for a year's worth of unlimited (in quantity and color) printing.

I went to the ebay store you linked. I see that a replacement pack of bulk dye refill is about $18. Do you have any estimate of how many pages that prints? I already have an Epson Artisan 700 and was planning to get a laser printer for cheaper black and white printing, but this continuous ink supply sounds worth considering. This is about the cost of a generic toner for a laser, rated for 2,500 pages.

I don’t have a good sense of the quantity of pages I’ll be printing, but I do know that our current set up with cartidges isn’t viable for printing digital curricula. Does this ink start to dry out if you don’t use the whole refill in a year?

I went to the ebay store you linked. I see that a replacement pack of bulk dye refill is about $18. Do you have any estimate of how many pages that prints?

First of all, I only have to buy 1 bulk set a year. Also, keep in mind- this is color also without reservation. Unfortunately, I don't keep count of what I print, but here is a run down of our habits. I have 4 children I homeschool. I have mostly digital curriculum that I print out a teacher's copy for myself, a copy for each child, a blank copy that sits on a shelf (I know, it's crazy- it's my system.) We also use all consumables. What I mean is- generally each kids has a book a subject that gets printed each year. This is in addition to worksheets...I supplement. I can easily go through a case of paper a school year. (as in like 10 reams I think?) I print without any reservation at all. I am a paper person, so I will print something to read as opposed to trying to read on my netbook.

I already have an Epson Artisan 700 and was planning to get a laser printer for cheaper black and white printing, but this continuous ink supply sounds worth considering. This is about the cost of a generic toner for a laser, rated for 2,500 pages.

I don’t have a good sense of the quantity of pages I’ll be printing, but I do know that our current set up with cartidges isn’t viable for printing digital curricula. Does this ink start to dry out if you don’t use the whole refill in a year?

No issues ever with drying out. The ink is in a bottle so it's not sitting in a sponge drying out.

no, its not universal. I looked at ebay to see what they are selling CISs for. I think it's mostly epson and some cannon & brother. It really has to do with the design of the printer. Since it has tubes attached to the ink cartridge inside the printer, most likely it needs to have a lid on top of the printer. that is the way mine is set up. We chose to go with the Epson R280 because there were several brand new on ebay (I think they ran a special with their cameras). Also, I may have mentioned my story with Epson customer service soon after we bought it. I personally will never buy another printer from a different company now. Epson for us from now on.

Brother printers

Cannon printers

Epson printers

(Our only connection to the above ebay seller is as a previous buyer. No kickbacks here!)

http://www.continuousbulkinksupplysystems.com/

Scroll down the left side list of printers.

• 2 weeks later...