Menu

Pardon my nervous breakdown: missed online registration for orientation

Christy B

Through a series of rather random thoughts today, decided to just "double check" and be sure that dd was, indeed, registered for her summer orientation (seeing as how she moved heaven and earth to gain permission to leave search and rescue training early in order to attend).

Long story short: she wasn't. Thought she was, over a month ago, would appear that it didn't go through. (The last time I had a registration fail to go through, it was when I was registering my other dd for her yearly standardized achievement testing -- similar process -- somewhat random "just check" prompting discovered the online process had failed to go through).

PANIC ensued. Online registration was completed (of course, we are now a day late and on a Saturday). Voice message was left. Email was sent. Again, with the day late and the Saturday and NO HUMAN TO SPEAK TO. I'm having to make the calls on dd's behalf (which I know is a HUGE no-no but so far her college is very welcoming to parents involvement) because she has only intermittent and random access to phone and internet.

FREAKING OUT. Please, please, please tell me that somehow this is going to work out okay. I hate for it to reflect poorly on dd -- surely they can see that all the rest of her paperwork has been submitted well ahead of deadline, yes? And this is a fluke?

If she can't attend this orientation it's going to be almost impossible for her to attend the other date. If they even let her attend an orientation at all.

We do happen to be paying a nice tidy little sum of tuition for dd, and have already started making payments. My hope is that if nothing else, they want our money badly enough that they're going to work with us.

I'm not sure if I'm going to survive the college acceptance process. I think it's harder than the application!!!

Edited by Christy B

Could be wrong, but I bet the college has seen this before and can handle it quite easily once you explain her summer schedule. I can assure you that anything to do with a mix-up about orientation will never even be remembered once she begins classes! I feel you anxiety though but deep breaths. It will work out.:grouphug:

Honestly? I wouldn't worry. They emphasize the mandatory nature of orientation, because, well, it makes their life easier to get it all out of the way at once. Missing orientation is far from ideal from the student's point of view, but they aren't going to drop her from attendance. Do you know if they have an early move-in date you can request, probably for a fee? She'll have to get her key and instructions, etc from the RA. If she missed orientation, it will be a pain, but not likely a disaster.

Thank you . . . I need lots of "it's okay, don't worry about it" to get me through to Monday morning. I keep telling myself all of these things but it really helps to hear it from other people. :-)

She has an entire WEEK of freshman orientation her first week of college. It really will be okay.

So far, every single person at the college has been WONDERFUL to us. I know they want our tuition check but I do believe they really want dd, too. I'm sure it will all work out.

And yes, I'm sure there are some students who can't attend orientation because it's just too far away, etc.

It will be okay. It will be okay.

So far, every single person at the college has been WONDERFUL to us.
I'll bet on Monday you will find that this will continue. Colleges want students to attend orientation. It makes it easier for them. I am confident that you will find an understanding person on the other end of the line when you talk to your dd's college on Monday. :grouphug: