Menu

Key to...workbook series

BatmansWife

I'm thinking of getting this series for my ds to use along with TT. He struggles with math and is behind grade level. What is the order of the Key To books? Why isn't there a pre-algebra? I hesitate on getting the complete set, only because I really wonder if metric measurement is all that important in the US. I'm sure it would be good to know it (I don't know it), but I'm thinking if this kid can just learn regular measurement it will be an accomplishment, why add another kind of measurement on to it and possible confusion. I don't know....should I just get the entire set? Is Rainbow the best place to get it?

I would just get the series you need right now. Perhaps start with fractions and then move on to decimals after you complete the fraction series. The algebra and geometry sets hit high school level math towards the end of the series.

And I would also pick just one measurement series. We worked through one of the measurement series with my youngest son, and it was a ton of measurements! I think both would be over kill.

We use fractions, decimals, and percents (in that order) as supplements. This series really clicks for some of my kids. They've loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Others thought it was okay, nothing special, but they did learn from it. I agree with the other poster who said to just get the fractions set first to see how it goes.

We skip the metric series and haven't found the algebra and geometry to be as useful as the others. I've heard others say the algebra set is really more of a pre-algebra. I've seen it and suspect that's true, but I haven't done a careful analysis.

We've always gotten ours at Rainbow.

I used them too just going through them Fractions, Decimals, percents.

but I have heard of some getting all 3 sets and working through them simultaneously sort of, they work on Fractions until they start doing the decimals and then that until the % stuff. etc.

Swapping between the books.

I did use some of the Keys to Algebra for both my boys. It was a help to get them over the hump in a stumbling block, probably only did about 3 books if that many.

These sets come up for sale quite often, here and on homeschool classifieds.

You can complete one set before starting another, or complete book one of the sets first, then move to the second, etc.

I agree that you should choose one or two sets to see if you like them before ordering all of them.

I have the measurement and metric measurement sets if you would like to ask any specific questions about them.

My son has used the Fractions and Decimals sets and will probably use the Percents one this year. For him, I find it the most helpful to use them after he has already covered the subject in his main math program. Having him go through the Key To books afterwards seems to really solidify things for him.

Lisa

I wouldn't buy the complete set.

We started with Fractions, then once we were about two books in, we added Decimals and Percents. I also bought the Measurement book (just the regular US one), but don't love it. It starts out with really just measuring a lot of stuff in inches, or asking if you'd measure a table in inches or yards. That sort of thing that we really didn't need. I wouldn't buy it again.

We also have Algebra and Geometry. The Geometry book (we're just on the first or second) doesn't really have any instruction like the other books do. Not sure why that is. It's too bad, because I like the exercises, but ds can't do them on his own unless I give an explanation first. We are on the 2nd or 3rd Algebra book, and as someone else said - it mostly seems like pre-algebra so far. Not sure once we complete the entire algebra series.

Actually, after having said all this - I think you might consider looking at Mammoth Math's series of these topics. I just bought three of them for my 3rd grader: fractions, geometry (this is very basic beginning stuff), multiplication. I love the way she teaches stuff, and it is also much more visually pleasing. I don't know if I'll have ds8 also do Key to Fractions for extra reinforcement later, but I am glad he is learning with Mammoth Math. I think it is better for teaching, but maybe Key to is better for reinforcement. So I guess it depends on how well the student really understands the concepts.

My son has used the Fractions and Decimals sets and will probably use the Percents one this year. For him, I find it the most helpful to use them after he has already covered the subject in his main math program. Having him go through the Key To books afterwards seems to really solidify things for him.

Lisa

This seems a good use ... either that, or preview with Key to ... and then do the main curriculum. Button did the first 2 fraction books very well, but couldn't generalize the skills to his Singapore work when we picked that up again, so for some reason it didn't stick with this particular child.

Full disclosure: he's 6 (math is his thing). So maybe the not-sticking was simply the age; but he does generalize well from Singapore to other things, so at least some of the problem was his interaction with the Key To presentation. That said, all the practice helped him, it just didn't really solidify his understanding.