Menu

Need suggestion for a complete grammar program that isn't too dry

My daughter will be in 6th grade this-coming year. After 15 years of using Rod and Staff, it is tiresome for me. It also does not seem to be a good fit for dd since she is an artistic, imaginative one.

I am wondering about an all-inclusive grammar program (textbooks suggestions are welcome). The searching done here has informed me of KISS Grammar, Winston, and a few others. If you have personal information concerning the use of these programs, I'd love to hear it.

I am a busy mom of 8 who is homeschooling 2 younger children all while supervising a busy toddler and providing childcare for a 14 month old, not to mention transporting various middle-school and freshman kids to activities, and hoping to see as many of my twins' varsity football games as possible..LOL..I guess I am just trying to say that it would nice to have a fairly simple program for the teacher :o).

It would be great if a program had poetry in it as well, since dd is quite the poet laureate.

Thanks for your input!

Camy

Yes, another vote for MCT. Maybe you can find a used copy if the new ones would blow your budget. :001_smile:

Wow, I think she'd be a *perfect* candidate for MCT -- except that she may need more input from you than you'd have time to give her..

Hey, Abbey! Long time, no see :o). What is this MCT? I looked it up, is it Michael Clay Thompson? It looks quite pricey. Have you used this? What should I purchase? It does look like it contains many elements that would be right up her alley.

Blessings,

Camy

I think the books you would need are:

Grammar Voyage (TM only)

Practice Voyage and Practice Voyage TM

World of Poetry (TM only)

That would be the most basic you could go and would cover only grammar and poetry. Spend the first month or so of the school year reading Grammar Voyage and the rest of the year parsing 3 sentences a week in Practice Voyage (she can do this on her own and then have you check it / discuss answers). Also have her read 2-3 pages a week of World of Poetry (though it's better if you can read aloud with her, since some of the more challenging aspects become a lot clearer when done aloud and discussed. You could incorporate the boys on either side of her, perhaps, if you wanted to combine in that way. (It's also possible to do this book in a quicker, more concentrated approach, finishing in as little as a month, if that's the approach you wanted.)

If you wanted the complete MCT experience, I would also add Caesar's English 2 for vocabulary (you'll only need the TM). The great thing here is that if you start CE2 about the time you finish Grammar Voyage and do a lesson a week while she's also doing a couple of pages a week in World of Poetry and Practice Voyage, you'll find that the vocabulary from CE shows up in the poetry and practice books. The grammar appears in the poetry. The poetics concepts appear in the grammar, etc...

Finally, Essay Voyage is the last component of the level. You could start it at the time she finishes Grammar Voyage as well. It's challenging and will reinforce the grammar, vocab, and poetics work. ... But if you just don't have the time and money, I'd still consider doing the other MCT materials. .... I think EV is very valuable! But the program as a whole is still valuable even if you can't get to this.

We used Shurley Grammar from K-5th grade and we were looking for a change. We decided to go with Easy Grammar. It is a no nonsense method and does a great job. My daughter didn't complain about it because it wasn't overly time consuming, but she retained what she learned scoring in the 97% percentile on national standard test.

I purchased Grammarlogues for my own dd next year because it is used in conjunction with actual literature, and it takes only a few minutes each day. I thought I'd throw this into the mix of options for your consideration since you are concerned about time issues. I only have one student, but for a family it looks like a very economical choice.

Blessings,

Lucinda