Menu

Disney World Help-ride and restaurant questions

We are headed to Disney in March (ok, I'm a planner) and I'm looking for help on restaurant choices and ride information. We are a mom, dad, 8 yo dd (turning 9 while we're there) and 6 yo ds. We are going to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Epcot.

Food First: We're looking for restaurants that offer really good food, as well as something "extra", whether it be entertainment, unique atmosphere; basically something we can't experience at home. I have a list of ones that sound promising from guidebooks, but I need to cull it down. If there's somewhere not on my list that just amazed you, please feel free to add it. Let me know why you liked a particular place (food, ambiance, etc.).

Artist Point

Boma or Jiko (need to figure out which one!)

CA Grill (has anyone seen the fireworks show from here? Some guidebooks say it's not to be missed; some say it's much better to be part of the crowd below)

Le Cellier

Sunshine Seasons

Hoop de Doo Revue/Polynesian Show (are either of these worth it?)

Whispering Canyon

Flying Fish

Cape May Cafe

Citrico's

Fulton's Crab House

Les Chefs de France

Marrakesh

Narcoossee's

Teppan Edo

Tokyo Dining

Whispering Canyon

Now Rides: My husband and daughter are good for the big thrills (but my husband can't take spinning). My son and I can't stomach big big drops but the kids and I are okay with spinning. Am looking for your experience on the following rides/attractions:

Splash Mtn-how bad is the drop at the end?

Stitch's Great Escape-too scary? worth it?

Mission:Space-orange or green team?

Living w/the Land-any good?

Honey I Shrunk the Audience-any good?

Expedition Everest-thoughts?

Dinosaur-too scary?

Thank you so so much for any help!

We love both of these. What about Boma for breakfast and Jiko for dinner?

CA Grill (has anyone seen the fireworks show from here? Some guidebooks say it's not to be missed; some say it's much better to be part of the crowd below)

Best sushi, delicious food, wonderful view. We watch the fireworks from a few places each trip, in the park and out of the park. The Cali Grill is a great place to view them.

Le Cellier

one of our favorites

Sunshine Seasons

the best counter service meal in WDW IMHO

Hoop de Doo Revue

hysterical, category one seating especially

Flying Fish

Food is good. We only have been once though, not that memorable for us.

Cape May Cafe

Best chicken fingers in the world according to my children. Food is good for a buffet.

Narcoossee's

incredibly delicious

Haven't tried yet

Teppan Edo - we have an ADR in Sept., I'll let you know. I hear good things.

Tokyo Dining

Artist Point - We are going to dine with an Imagineer here in Sept.

Polynesian Show

Marrakesh

Citrico's

Fulton's Crab House

Les Chefs de France

Did not enjoy the food, but it was fun

Whispering Canyon

Now Rides: My husband and daughter are good for the big thrills (but my husband can't take spinning). My son and I can't stomach big big drops but the kids and I are okay with spinning. Am looking for your experience on the following rides/attractions:

It's a lot better than the drop on Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure. It's not too bad. This ride is 11 minutes of fun, you should try it at least 1x.

We didn't like it. It's not as scary as the ride it replaced (Alien Encounter), but it gets dark and kids have been known to freak out.

dh green and the rest of you orange I guess. Orange has some very intense parts, I felt nauseous for a few hours after riding and more than one person left a protein spill behind.

Yes. Grab some fast passes for Soarin' and take a spin through Living with the Land

Not our favorite, but if you have the time it's better than Figment.

Love it, love it, love it!

Dinosaur-too scary?

It's a little scary, very jerky.

Boma or Jiko (need to figure out which one!) - Well, if you're on dining plan, Jiko uses two meal credits and Boma only one. Boma has interesting food and was definitely one of the best buffets we've had at WDW. But Jiko... Jiko was absolutely the best meal we've at at WDW and was really elegant and delicious by any standards. Great service, excellent food.

Le Cellier - Food and service were very good here. What I question is whether it's "different enough" to be worth it if you're limited in number of meals. Still, pretty much a can't-go-wrong choice.

Sunshine Seasons - Pretty yummy for counter service -- but I tend to lean towards going to World Showcase for counter service instead... Eat in France or Morocco or even just Germany!

Hoop de Doo Revue/Polynesian Show (are either of these worth it?) - I haven't done the Luau since I was a kid, so I can't really review it. The Hoop de Doo is a ton of fun -- lots and lots of yummy food, high energy entertainment. We did this on our most recent trip with my in-laws, and it was a great choice for the *range* we had in our group... For me, personally, if I were on a time-limited trip to WDW, I'd probably stay in the parks and feel like I was "missing" something by putting in all the hours required for going to HdD... But it *is* a ton of fun, especially if your group is willing to really join in and play along with the whole atmosphere. Even my super-picky in-laws enjoyed the food, and they did a great job of preparing slightly different options for my food-allergic son (though this is true of all the Disney-owned table service places).

Whispering Canyon - Lots of meat. Lots of running around and chaos and noise. I have friends who love this place. My dh and my dd really hated it. It's like eating at the dining hall at a Young Life camp, lol. Loud, raucous, fun if you're willing to just join in... But when we ate there, it was after a long day at the parks, and not everyone in my family was willing to give it a chance. Ds *looooved* getting his giant jar of coke and his 24" straw to drink from (they won't automatically bring this -- it's just one of the wacky things that *might* happen and it depends a lot on your server)... The food we had was fine, but not fabulous or anything.

Citrico's - Really elegant. Takes 2 credits from dining plan, but probably worth it. More elegant than Jiko, and the food was a close second. Both restaurants are head and shoulders above the "regular" Disney fare. (I assume this is true of all the resort-based "signature" restaurants. I thought Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios was good, but nowhere near the level of Citrico's or Jiko, however.)

Les Chefs de France - Not entirely traditional French fare, but very good.

Marrakesh - We love Marrakesh. It's usually cool and quiet -- a welcome respite from the crowds and noise of the rest of the World. There is music and the belly dancer, but only for a small portion of each hour. The menu for adults is excellent, but the kids' menu is unfortunately almost entirely Americanized and not very interesting. Despite that, it's one of our favorites at Epcot. Delicious food, good service, and a calm oasis amid the excitement of our trip...

Narcoossee's - Haven't eaten here, but I wouldn't hesitate to book there. I assume the food could compete with Jiko and Citrico's, and the view over the lake is really beautiful.

Have you considered any character dining? I was surprised at how much my children *looove* character dining, and I can't imagine doing a whole trip without at least one character meal. Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare has a really great mix of characters (Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, Pooh), or the Crystal Palace has good food...

Splash Mtn-how bad is the drop at the end? - It's not very bad -- not like the flume rides at other theme parks. This one is mostly a boat ride through Brer Rabbit's country -- lots of ambiance and story... Lots and lots of fun, with one moderate drop toward the end.

Mission:Space-orange or green team? - I did Mission:Space once, before there were options. Never, ever, ever again. It wasn't particularly fun, and I felt ill for hours afterwards. Even with the new option, I have zero desire to go back, ever. (Instead, do Test Track multiple times! It's a fabulous ride!)

Living w/the Land-any good? - It's quiet, slow, but I actually enjoy it and find it interesting. Do it some time when the line is short (it's rarely long, but if it is, skip it and come back later). It's not a thrilling, exciting ride. But if you don't mind something quiet and calm, and you're interested to see the greenhouses (some of the produce served in the parks comes from there!), it can be worthwhile.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience-any good? - No. Stupid, and a total waste of time.

Expedition Everest-thoughts? - Really fantastic roller coaster ride. Just amazing. And the line going into it is this wonderful "museum" -- in fact, if the wait is short, you'll miss out on some wonderful aspects of the experience! It's an awesome, wonderful mix of "roller coaster" like you might find elsewhere, and absolute Disney magic. *But*, if you tend towards motion sickness on roller coasters, it may well be too much for you. I loved it, and I couldn't do it a second time in the same day. (BTW, don't miss the Safari at AK! It's absolutely wonderful, and different every time you do it.)

Dinosaur-too scary? - The scariness comes from a little darkness, a little suspense, and a dino or two jumping out at you. I don't think it's all that scary, but dd (5 last time she rode it) might disagree. I just found it very jerky and somewhat uncomfortable. I thought it was worth doing once, but not something I need to repeat every trip.

Artist Point

Le Cellier

Sunshine Seasons

Hoop de Doo Revue/Polynesian Show (are either of these worth it?)

Whispering Canyon

Flying Fish

Cape May Cafe

Citrico's

Fulton's Crab House

Les Chefs de France

Marrakesh

Narcoossee's

Teppan Edo

Tokyo Dining

Whispering Canyon

Dinosaur-too scary?

Thank you so so much for any help!

I'll comment on the things I know:

Le Cellier - WONDERFUL!!!! We absolutely LOVED this place. It's hard to get reservations - so good thing you're planning now. We got a 7:30 reservation and were done just in time to watch the fireworks at 9. Perfect!

Dinner shows - I agree with Abbey. If you have limited time at the parks, I wouldn't see these. They do take a lot of time. But, if you have a free day while you are there, they are SOOOO worth it! We saw them both in January. My kids ALL liked both these shows. The food is great at both. The Hoop De Doo is hysterical. The Polynesian show is amazing - my 2 yo still talks about the man who played with fire!

Whispering Canyon: This is the one place my boys all asked to return to when we go back in September. It is loud and the wait staff is VERY funny. Be sure to ask for ketchup if you go. When we went, there was a guy who was "rude" to a waitress (I don't think he was really rude - but the waitress wanted to humiliate him! LOL). She announced it to the entire restaurant and we all had to judge him. He was put in jail for a minute. Then, in order to get out, he had to ride a pretend horse around the restaurant apologizing the entire way. Another waitress took a cell phone from a person eating and talked to the person on the other end. I thought it was hilarious. Anyway, I don't remember the food being particularly good though. Not bad, just not wonderful. It's an experience, that's for sure!!! LOL

Stitch - My kids thought it was VERY funny. But, they didin't want to ride it again. Once it starts, it's dark and you can't leave if you are scared.

Mission Space - Orange - more g force. Same ride, just more intense. My 12 yo rode this and loved it, but he doesn't get dizzy and loves to spin. All three boys rode the green one and loved it. My 7 yo is quite the chicken and even he liked it!

Honey I shrunk the Audience - My boys all liked it. Prepare them for the "rats" at the end if they may be scared. They just blow air at your feet, but it feels like rats. My kids weren't prepared for it and they would've appreciated knowing. Have them pick up their feet.

Expedition Everest - My 12 yo LOVED it. Nobody else rode it. There were a number of younger kids coming off of it though! I'm going to ride it when we go back!

Dinosaur - All three thought it was scary and LOUD!!! VERY loud. And dark. All three would do it again.

HTH!!

Can't help with the restaurants. We bring in our lunch and either leave before dinner or eat at a counter service place. Here's my opinion on the rides, though:

It looks more intimidating than it is. And the rest of the ride makes it worth it--really a great ride.

Not at all. Take a pass on this one, seriously. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, right across from Stitch is a much better option.

I can do orange only with Dramamine. Without leaves me queasy for hours. No problems with green, though, and it doesn't diminish the ride concept.

Yes. One of our family favorites.

Another "Stitch" for us, but we're not big on any of the 3D movies. The only exception to this is Mickey's Philharmagic at MK.

Awesome coaster, but I agree that it can be motion-sickness inducing. I can't ride it more than once, either.

Dinosaur-too scary?

My boys SAY they love this ride, but I don't think they've actually seen any part of it. They ride it with their eyes closed and their hands on their ears!

Have fun--we love Disney!

I went this past May.

My favorite restuarant was the sit down Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom. It was Pan Asia.

Ohana's in the Polynesian Resort was wonderful and the chef went the extra mile for my dairy allergic kids. All the restaurants will have the chef meet with you to discuss food issues but this guy went beyond his call of duty.

The Marrakesh was average at best.

The habatchi grill in Japan at Epcot was excellent.

The Chinese restuarant was so bad we asked for a refund.

Big Thunder Mountain roller coast was fun for me and I do not like big drops. The drops were on a curve instread of straight down. Pirates of the Carribean has a 5 foot drop in the dark but I did not mind.

We went on the wimps side of the Mars ride. I closed my eyes when we did lift off and I was okay for the rest of the ride.

You must see the PhilharMagic Show in Magic Kingdom.

If you have a young daughter who love Tinker Bell, position yourself in front of the castle with a clear view of the cable that runs from the castle towers towards Space Mountain. Tinker Bell makes an appearance. My dd hugged and kissed me after seeing her favorite fairy.

Have fun.

Thanks for all the information supplied so far! I didn't really think my kids would be into a character breakfast. I nixed the princess meals because of my son. They are both Mary Poppins fans, so maybe we could do the 1900 Park Fare the morning of our last day there; that day will basically be a free for all; whatever the kids liked best. What's the feedback on 1900 Park Fare for breakfast? Is the food good? Do they do a nice job? Is there a lot of character interaction?

Thanks for all the information supplied so far! I didn't really think my kids would be into a character breakfast. I nixed the princess meals because of my son. They are both Mary Poppins fans, so maybe we could do the 1900 Park Fare the morning of our last day there; that day will basically be a free for all; whatever the kids liked best. What's the feedback on 1900 Park Fare for breakfast? Is the food good? Do they do a nice job? Is there a lot of character interaction?

Try here:

http://allears.net/index.html

This site has the menus and links to reviews.

We love Hoop De Doo Review. Its is fun and funny.

Character meals are fun at any age. We always eat breakfast in the park we are going to for that day. Example: Magic Kingdom opens at 9 am, but you can have breakfast at the Crystal Place at 8:05. You would be supprised how many extra rides you can go on with no line by doing this.

We always eat at the Crystal Palace for dinner. The food is good, the service is (usually) good and the characters make the rounds at least twice during our meal. It also doesn't feel so rushed and over crowded like many DW restaurants do. HTH