Menu

(CC) What are good books to have your son read to help him...

grow into a Godly young man and help mold his Godly character into the man, husband and father that God created him to be? Manners and gentlemanly character, too. The Bible is #1 and we do family worship each evening as well as being committed to a local church body that establishes and supports the biblical family and biblical roles of man/woman. I'm looking for supplemental resources that we can give our son (11) to read as he grows to have that be an influence as well. Some that I know of are:

Created for Work

Boyhood and Beyond

What He Must Be

www.monergism.org has great pdf's from older theologians that are great, as well as present day sermons, lectures, conference presentations, etc. that you can download and listen to from theologians today to build him up, too. (John Macarthur, Tedd Tripp, Paul Washer, Voddie Baucham, etc., etc...numerous others!)

DoorPosts materials (Plants Grown Up, etc.)

Obviously, some of these are not for his age right now (What He Must Be), but soon enough. I would love more suggestions. He's not yet taken responsibility for his own character and behavior. I know maturity will help, but I want to be cultivating it in him, too. Thank you!

You say that 'he's not yet taken responsibility for his own behaviour and character'. I'm not sure there's a book that will help him do that.

You've got good ideas that you're already doing. Keep reading the word with him, listening to Godly sermons (I especially like Paul Washer!), and talking with him. Let his conscience convict him. It'll come. The Word is a powerful thing as well, so keep having family bible study.

Zee is 9, and just starting to get there. But he's always been a very serious young man.

:grouphug:

I don't think my son at age 11 would have been too excited about reading theological books on how to be a godly man. That being said, he was a voracious reader at that age (he is now almost 24!), and we were very careful with what he read. I did a lot of research on books that had good morals and characters as role models, and at the same time were exciting and inspiring stories and adventures Nearly all of them were older children's books or biographies (written for children). I will try and think of some of them and get back to you. Wish I'd kept a list!

You say that 'he's not yet taken responsibility for his own behaviour and character'. I'm not sure there's a book that will help him do that.

You've got good ideas that you're already doing. Keep reading the word with him, listening to Godly sermons (I especially like Paul Washer!), and talking with him. Let his conscience convict him. It'll come. The Word is a powerful thing as well, so keep having family bible study.

Zee is 9, and just starting to get there. But he's always been a very serious young man.

:grouphug:

I guess I mean that he needs to increase in his forethought and responsibility. He responds to correction, but I want to see more of him being responsible for his own behavior and character and caring about the fact that what he says and does affects those around him. I know that comes with maturity and more than anything else, salvation and the Lord working in him. He will always be growing (as we all will), but we want to come alongside him in every way as we guide and direct him. Thanks for your words and hugs.

I don't think my son at age 11 would have been too excited about reading theological books on how to be a godly man. That being said, he was a voracious reader at that age (he is now almost 24!), and we were very careful with what he read. I did a lot of research on books that had good morals and characters as role models, and at the same time were exciting and inspiring stories and adventures Nearly all of them were older children's books or biographies (written for children). I will try and think of some of them and get back to you. Wish I'd kept a list!

Great! I would love book recommendations like that, too. We also choose books like that and I have lots of book list books to help, as well as our literature curriculum that is chock full of good, classic literature and other like-minded friends that I glean from. I always love more! Thank you!

We've addressed this more through fiction until they get to high school. I think it's easy to hammer our kids with expectations (some times unrealistic- my dd 25 had a fit a couple of years ago about the unrealistic expectations set forth in "I kissed Dating Good=bye") and we become legalistic in our behavioral expectations or give the kids something concrete to rebell against.

For now:

The entrie Narnia- Horse and His Boy specifically.

Screwtape Letters-

The Wilderking series- an analogy of King David's life (the first in the series is the most clear analogy but we loved them all).

Lewis's Space Trilogy-

We've addressed this more through fiction until they get to high school. I think it's easy to hammer our kids with expectations (some times unrealistic- my dd 25 had a fit a couple of years ago about the unrealistic expectations set forth in "I kissed Dating Good=bye") and we become legalistic in our behavioral expectations or give the kids something concrete to rebell against.

For now:

The entrie Narnia- Horse and His Boy specifically.

Screwtape Letters-

The Wilderking series- an analogy of King David's life (the first in the series is the most clear analogy but we loved them all).

Lewis's Space Trilogy-

Thank you for your words and your book list. He loves Narnia and Horse and His Boy is his favorite! He's reading through the series again for his literature curriculum beginning in the fall, so, he'll read it again! I've never heard of the Wilderking series. Sounds great!

Great! I would love book recommendations like that, too. We also choose books like that and I have lots of book list books to help, as well as our literature curriculum that is chock full of good, classic literature and other like-minded friends that I glean from. I always love more! Thank you!

I can't quite remember if you were the Dianne who was LDS, but if you are, Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites is a great series, too. (If you're a different Dianne, sorry!! They're still great books, but might not be your top choice. :tongue_smilie:)

There was a book we worked through as part of the curriculum. It was titled: "When no one sees," by Os Guiness. Your son may still be a little young, though. If you can grab a copy somewhere and look through it, it may help evaluate it. I think my ds and I did this when he was around 13-14 yo.

http://www.amazon.com/When-One-Sees-Importance-Character/dp/1576831590