Menu

Excercise thread 6/10-6/16

Negin, I love pilates.

Cynthia and others who lift weights, I read that lifting lighter weights for more reps is more effective for strength building than lifting heavier for shorter reps.

I thought that would make you feel better in regards to your hernia.

By the way, the book I just just finished is one of the best exercise books I've read.

The First Twenty Minutes

Just doing housekeeping stuff today. I did plan to run, but as of Saturday I have come down with a revolting summer cold. It's 91, humid as all get out, and I've got some sort of vertigo from the stuffed ears.

So I'll see how I feel Tuesday.

Negin, I love pilates.

Cynthia and others who lift weights, I read that lifting lighter weights for more reps is more effective for strength building than lifting heavier for shorter reps.

I thought that would make you feel better in regards to your hernia.

By the way, the book I just just finished is one of the best exercise books I've read.

The First Twenty Minutes

High reps/low weights is really what I do. Even Pump! is relatively low weights based on lots of reps. I think I just overdid it. And I wanted something new. I haven't decided if I will return to it after my surgery. :tongue_smilie:

I may purchase that book for my Kindle! Thanks for the suggestion.

Callanetics Evolution

I read that lifting lighter weights for more reps is more effective for strength building than lifting heavier for shorter reps.

I've read this also.

The First Twenty Minutes

I think I heard about this recently on NPR. Have added it to my wish list. Thank you.

DD and I joined the gym last week...

We are both really enjoying the classes and had a "date" with the personal trasiner to set us up on the nautilus equipment.

Last week we tried out Zumba, 2 different Yoga classes and a Bare foot Bunz....also known as the "Break your @ss Class" :D

I was sore for 3 days after that one!

FUN!!! I am really LOVING this!! One hour for ME at the end of the day. This can be addicting!

FUN!!! I am really LOVING this!! One hour for ME at the end of the day. This can be addicting!

Yes, yes it can. :D

~~

Mon: Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. I figure my body had earned a reprieve from my Insanity/Jillian Michael's madness last week. :lol:

It is addicting.

Mon: Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. I figure my body had earned a reprieve from my Insanity/Jillian Michael's madness last week. :lol:

Funny, my dh did NOT consider that dvd a reprieve. :tongue_smilie:

My workout was cut short. Only got in 15 minutes. I was sidetracked by the fact that I was sticking to the floor as I was running. Apparently, my 3 yr old did not stay sitting at the table with his popsicle, and instead walked around the house dripping juice all over the floor. So I had to pull out my mop and follow the sticky trail.

That's okay though. I now know that it's all the same for the body whether you workout for 30 minutes straight or if you break it up throughout the day in 10 minutes increments. So all I have to do is fit in another session sometime today.

Cynthia, :grouphug: we'll be here to help you recover.

and way to go for your dh.

I got in another 30 minutes of cardio. Although I'm not a "jumpy" fan I'm trying to do it more. Pylo moves are more effective at building bone than just simply running or weights.

A few weeks ago I tried rebounding and loved it. Now I'm trying to add pylometric moves into my routine. It's all about trying new things. :D

Speaking of new things here's one to try: stand on one leg while brushing your teeth and if that's doable then close your eyes while doing it. Doing these 2x a day will improve your balance. This comes from the book I mentioned earlier. My boys love it.

Will be going for a swim later.

:iagree:

stand on one leg while brushing your teeth and if that's doable then close your eyes while doing it. Doing these 2x a day will improve your balance. This comes from the book I mentioned earlier. My boys love it.

Thanks for the reminder. I try to do this as often as I remember. Balance is a concern of mine. It's a key factor for helping with osteoporosis and aging.

and way to go for your dh.

I got in another 30 minutes of cardio. Although I'm not a "jumpy" fan I'm trying to do it more. Pylo moves are more effective at building bone than just simply running or weights.

A few weeks ago I tried rebounding and loved it. Now I'm trying to add pylometric moves into my routine. It's all about trying new things. :D

Speaking of new things here's one to try: stand on one leg while brushing your teeth and if that's doable then close your eyes while doing it. Doing these 2x a day will improve your balance. This comes from the book I mentioned earlier. My boys love it.

Thanks! And thanks to Negin, too.

I have a much better outlook. I was just in a total funk on Monday for some reason. We may actually be looking at moving in the not-too-distant future! That will give me a major distraction from my inability to exercise. Plus, I won't be able to help as much since I will be limited in what I can do packing and lifting wise, so I can just point and be bossy! :D So with that major decision and all that goes along with it, I have not had much time to feel sorry for myself since Monday.

Wednesday: Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training

No exercise tomorrow as pre-op is rather early in the morning, and I won't be able to work it in.

Did some major weed pulling at six am because I'm getting ready to try something I've never tried or considered in my gardening life: October Pumpkins! Evidently I'm really feeling adventurous. Or it's a suicide wish. After all, it hasn't rained a tenth of an inch this month.

But it's interesting from a psychological point of view that increasing my exercise makes me more willing to grab a spade and turn some soil in 90+ degrees.

Ran 3 miles this morning and walked one. My cold is almost resolved with just an occasional cough left.

Did some major weed pulling at six am because I'm getting ready to try something I've never tried or considered in my gardening life: October Pumpkins!

We tried pumpkins one year. Weed pulling is a hard workout. I'm always sore after a major weed clearing.

Yesterday I managed to get in Crunch: Ab Attack after my little one felt better.

This morning a nice easy jog for 30 min.

I keep forgetting to stand on one leg while brushing my teeth so I took a sharpie and wrote "Leg" all over my toothpaste. Now I'll see my reminder every time I pick it up. :D

First time posting on this thread. I have had a semi lazy week but I got back on the ball yesterday. I ran 2 1/2 miles in 25 minutes. I haven't ran that long since last year. I have been building up to it since April. Next week I am registering for classes at the YMCA taking spinning and TRX on Tues/Thurs. I will run on Mon/Wed/Fri.

1.5 miles run on the flat, then 1.5 incorporating 3 hills of a diabolical nature.

It's an 84F heat index at 9am. I don't know whether to be proud of myself or give myself a talk on the dangers of heat stroke.

Ah, ice....One thing is clear. I've got to move my two hour exercise block to 5:30-7:30 am for July and August.

Edited by Critterfixer