Menu

How do you CHOOSE???

When you are indecisive about curriculum, how do you choose when there's no end in sight? When everything seems as good as everything else?

I have so many history options that my head hurts. The all seem as lovely as the next, or I talk myself out of one but can't discard it from the pile of options because my reasons for discarding are silly.

Current issue....

History.

Oak Meadow English/History 6

or

Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines

or

Famous Men of Rome, then Famous Men of the Middles Ages WITH Rats, Bulls

or

All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project)

Autumn isn't a huge fan of ancient history. She badly wants to do the middle ages/renaissance. I'm not sure how important it is that she have a really good grasp on Ancient and Rome before moving on to Middle Ages; hence why I'm considering a quick read through of FMR before moving on. She hates history so it's a biggie to me that she wants to do ANY part of history. I hesitate to say "no" here.

Of course, Oak Meadow would take care of TWO birds with one stone! Integrated English and History!!! ;)

... but, she would have to do a full semester of ancient history first (we did a read through of SOTW 1 about a year ago, so she has that; but she didn't retain much of it at all and sincerely disliked the way it read).

BUT BUT BUT

All Ye Lands would take care of geography, world history, AND help fill the religion gaps/questions very nicely. My concern is that she is only at *about* a fifth grade reading level and I'm not sure she could handle reading the text.

:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

Write the options on slips of paper and pull out of a hat?

Personally, I don't think retention is important in history in elementary school. If you follow a classical educational model, the student will get to the material more than once anyway. If you think your school year will go better with studying the Middle Ages, then by all means go for it!

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to use a text that may be a higher level, especially in a subject your dd hates. I would be looking for a way to make the subject more tolerable, not more miserable.

I don't know anything about the specific programs you're listed though, so I can't really comment on them. Sorry!

I wouldn't go above reading level either.

Another thing I do is try to determine how I define our schooling. I remember reading every thread on Latin until my fingers were numb. It came down to two choices and I couldn't decide. I decided I wanted something to match a certain adjective. So I re-read every review, every thread and noted with curriculum had that adjective used the most often. It worked. I made a choice and have never been sorry for it.

With those choices, I'd go All Ye Lands hands down.

And have for 3 6th graders of mine.:)

Can a child reading comfortably at at FIFTH grade level, do the work required without frustration? She is in the sixth grade as of fall, but is dyslexic and her comfort level reading is consistently a grade "behind" (she can read harder material; but I don't want her to struggle more in a subject she hates).

I *really* like the looks of All Ye Lands. I just hesitate with the suggested grade levels being middle school.

Personally, I don't think retention is important in history in elementary school. If you follow a classical educational model, the student will get to the material more than once anyway. If you think your school year will go better with studying the Middle Ages, then by all means go for it!

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to use a text that may be a higher level, especially in a subject your dd hates. I would be looking for a way to make the subject more tolerable, not more miserable.

I don't know anything about the specific programs you're listed though, so I can't really comment on them. Sorry!

You're absolutely right :)

She enjoyed Famous Men of Rome (we only read a couple chapters) last year, but now that her reading is MORE comfortable, I'm ready to start it back... as a quick read through so she can get to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (where she really WANTS to be). Lol.

Can a child reading comfortably at at FIFTH grade level, do the work required without frustration? She is in the sixth grade as of fall, but is dyslexic and her comfort level reading is consistently a grade "behind" (she can read harder material; but I don't want her to struggle more in a subject she hates).

I *really* like the looks of All Ye Lands. I just hesitate with the suggested grade levels being middle school.

There might be a few stumbling words, but that is going to happen in any history texts simply because some names and places and such are new and difficult. There is also the option of using the fifth grade text from the same publisher, Sea to Shining Sea.

I really like these texts and my kids have enjoyed them.

However, the medieval ages were also a favorite here for many years. I have a booklist somewhere.... And you could just make it a year of medieval unit study. I did that. For about three years. :tongue_smilie:

The great thing about a unit planning for this is if you get one book that doesn't work, it's a bummer, but not a bummer that last all year. And most of the books will be just great. Just yet another option for you to consider. :D

Just curious - If she doesn't like ancients, why are you forcing it? I'd just skip it and go straight to the middle ages while the passion is there, because the retention will stay. But if she gets burned out, then she may not even like the middle ages anymore....

(I forced ancient Egypt on ds when he was younger when his heart was wanting middle ages. Now in high school, he really doesn't like any history, including the middle ages :crying:)

Just curious - If she doesn't like ancients, why are you forcing it? I'd just skip it and go straight to the middle ages while the passion is there, because the retention will stay. But if she gets burned out, then she may not even like the middle ages anymore....

(I forced ancient Egypt on ds when he was younger when his heart was wanting middle ages. Now in high school, he really doesn't like any history, including the middle ages :crying:)

This is true. If they didn't have a preference, I'd use one of the catholic texts. Probably the fifth grade one. If they wanted medieval, I'd do a year long unit.

Are you not of the opinion that she needs some sort of concrete retention from that period before moving on to the middle age?

Serious question (not being snarky at all!). We aren't really a history family, so this isn't my cuppa. We tend to be more STEM focused. History is our weakest subject.

This is true. If they didn't have a preference, I'd use one of the catholic texts. Probably the fifth grade one. If they wanted medieval, I'd do a year long unit.

I like the idea of the year long unit. There are so many cool resources! I'll admit, I want to tie in church history because of the time period; but, other than that, we can use all of our favorite resources (Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines; Famous Men of the Middle Ages, some of the resources and links you posted).

And child friendly easy reads on church history (from a Catholic pov, of course) during the middle ages/renaissance?