Menu

Reading curriculum: advice needed

Hi, can anyone give advice/tips/sense of direction in terms of reading? My son has just finished all Bob Books Set1-5 and is starting Sight Words Kindergarten tomorrow. He can spell some words independently (example: kids, girl,but,etc.) using the keyboard. Comprehension wise, we are almost done with StorySmarts. We are also on level 2 of ReadingKingdom(not entirely clear on what that means though, developmentally wise). Is this the time to explore curriculums like Sonlight?

Thanks!

Edited by TryingHardMom

Hi, can anyone give advice/tips/sense of direction in terms of reading? My son has just finished all Bob Books Set1-5 and is starting Sight Words Kindergarten tomorrow. He can spell some words independently (example: kids, girl,but,etc.) using the keyboard. Comprehension wise, we are almost done with StorySmarts. We are also on level 2 of ReadingKingdom(not entirely clear on what that means though, developmentally wise). Is this the time to explore curriculums like Sonlight? My son is 3years old and 3months and I'm working on improving his reading endurance(since he still cant sit still to finish a book:001_smile:)

Thanks!

He's just 3? Oh, I wouldn't recommend anything formal for a child so young. I would expect him not to sit still to finish a book. He's just 3. His ability to sit still will increase with his age, whether you work on it or not.

He's just 3? Oh, I wouldn't recommend anything formal for a child so young. I would expect him not to sit still to finish a book. He's just 3. His ability to sit still will increase with his age, whether you work on it or not.

Hi Ellie, thanks for replying:001_smile: But where do I proceed from here on?

He's only 3. It's great that he's showing an interest that early, but I wouldn't necessarily push any kind of formal curriculum. Can he form/write all of his letters? If not then work on that, gently. I personally don't let reading instruction move too fast past handwriting instruction/ability. Young children need a sensory integrated approach to these things. Handwriting Without Tears pre-K level would be a start. And after he can form his capitals, then you could use ETC get ready set go books to work on forming lowercase letters. Even if he already knows the sounds of the letters then the ETC get ready books are great for lowercase letter formation.

And there's also a million and one things you can do while he matures a bit more. Keep reading aloud everyday and providing lots of time with books. Play math games. Have some science explorations. Lots of arts and crafts. Helping around the house. You can start him with the OPGTR. My older ds was starting to read at 3, but I still started him near the beginning like any Kinder because imo they are still too young to know what they're doing really. My dd will be 2 next month and she knows her ABCs and most of the sounds, but no way do I take that as a sign to start teaching her to read.

I think all kids, even gifted kids, benefit from the extra time in early childhood to mature.

He's only 3. It's great that he's showing an interest that early, but I wouldn't necessarily push any kind of formal curriculum. Can he form/write all of his letters? If not then work on that, gently. I personally don't let reading instruction move too fast past handwriting instruction/ability. Young children need a sensory integrated approach to these things. Handwriting Without Tears pre-K level would be a start. And after he can form his capitals, then you could use ETC get ready set go books to work on forming lowercase letters. Even if he already knows the sounds of the letters then the ETC get ready books are great for lowercase letter formation.

And there's also a million and one things you can do while he matures a bit more. Keep reading aloud everyday and providing lots of time with books. Play math games. Have some science explorations. Lots of arts and crafts. Helping around the house. You can start him with the OPGTR. My older ds was starting to read at 3, but I still started him near the beginning like any Kinder because imo they are still too young to know what they're doing really. My dd will be 2 next month and she knows her ABCs and most of the sounds, but no way do I take that as a sign to start teaching her to read.

I think all kids, even gifted kids, benefit from the extra time in early childhood to mature.

Thank you, I appreciate this:001_smile:

Hi, can anyone give advice/tips/sense of direction in terms of reading? My son has just finished all Bob Books Set1-5 and is starting Sight Words Kindergarten tomorrow. He can spell some words independently (example: kids, girl,but,etc.) using the keyboard. Comprehension wise, we are almost done with StorySmarts. We are also on level 2 of ReadingKingdom(not entirely clear on what that means though, developmentally wise). Is this the time to explore curriculums like Sonlight?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have a little guy who loves to read! How fun!

Like others, I wouldn't force a formal curriculum. I did end up using a phonics curriculum at a young age, but did so because my daughters demanded that I teach them that. When the desire is really there, it makes sense to let them learn. We kept their early reading instruction very light, very fun, and very short ... and always kept up reading lots of books aloud to them.

This is a good time to figure out what your reading instruction will look like. Are you looking for a whole-to-parts approach (heavy on memorizing sight words) or a parts-to-whole one (heavy on phonics). If you've read WTM, she talks about the different approaches. You may find that choice rules out some curricula for you.

One thing you could consider at this age is Five in a Row. It's a beautiful way to enjoy books together with your child, and to extend the learning in all sorts of different directions.

When my DD started to read at 2.5 yrs, I just spent lots of time scaffolding the reading by choosing picture books with fewer words, or easier, more repetitive stories. Then we would take turns reading. (I'm remembering books like Sheep in a Jeep, My Pup...a lot of our toddler board books.) I still read her the more literary picture books like those on the Sonlight and FIAR lists for her listening enjoyment and to expand her vocabulary. We didn't use a curriculum though. It was just a matter of having lots of books available and enjoying books together. My DD would never have read a Bob book. She didn't like early readers; they weren't appealing to her. Scaffolding the reading was a great alternative. Eventually, she just took off and could read anything you handed her.

FWIW, if you want to use Sonlight for the good books, I don't see any reason not to start. My 3 now 4yo and 5 now 6yo both enjoyed Sonlight core K (A) this last year. Some of it was definitely over the head of the 3/4yo, but he still liked it. If you bought (or got from the library) the preschool core you will have some very fun books to enjoy together.

As far as reading instruction goes, I've found the Learn-to-Read Bible to be a neat thing. I haven't used Bob books, but if he's reading some simple words, it could be a book you could read together. BUT, that said, I do nothing for reading instruction for my younger child except let him play in an explode the code book when he wants to be like his big sister. It clicks when it clicks, IMO.

Five in a Row is an interesting cirriculum that we never used but has a lot of good books.

Learn your Letters, Learn to Serve is really good. Super fun, well-laid out. It doesn't have reading instruction, but does have memory work, service work, writing, songs/phonics, craft ideas, and more.

HTH

My dd was a very eager and very early reader. I went ahead and started OPG with her because I wanted her learn phonics and not just figure it all out on her own. I totally agree that young dc shouldn't be forced to use curriculum, but I also think that sometimes it is beneficial. Just wanted to throw that out there, in case your instinct tells you she is ready for more!

My dd was a very eager and very early reader. I went ahead and started OPG with her because I wanted her learn phonics and not just figure it all out on her own. I totally agree that young dc shouldn't be forced to use curriculum, but I also think that sometimes it is beneficial. Just wanted to throw that out there, in case your instinct tells you she is ready for more!

:iagree: yes this is what I would do. I let my little ones figure out as much as possible on their own with my playful and natural guidance and then try to organize what they have learned after they've matured a bit.

When my DD started to read at 2.5 yrs, I just spent lots of time scaffolding the reading by choosing picture books with fewer words, or easier, more repetitive stories. Then we would take turns reading. (I'm remembering books like Sheep in a Jeep, My Pup...a lot of our toddler board books.) I still read her the more literary picture books like those on the Sonlight and FIAR lists for her listening enjoyment and to expand her vocabulary. We didn't use a curriculum though. It was just a matter of having lots of books available and enjoying books together. My DD would never have read a Bob book. She didn't like early readers; they weren't appealing to her. Scaffolding the reading was a great alternative. Eventually, she just took off and could read anything you handed her.

thanks!

FWIW, if you want to use Sonlight for the good books, I don't see any reason not to start. My 3 now 4yo and 5 now 6yo both enjoyed Sonlight core K (A) this last year. Some of it was definitely over the head of the 3/4yo, but he still liked it. If you bought (or got from the library) the preschool core you will have some very fun books to enjoy together.

As far as reading instruction goes, I've found the Learn-to-Read Bible to be a neat thing. I haven't used Bob books, but if he's reading some simple words, it could be a book you could read together. BUT, that said, I do nothing for reading instruction for my younger child except let him play in an explode the code book when he wants to be like his big sister. It clicks when it clicks, IMO.

Five in a Row is an interesting cirriculum that we never used but has a lot of good books.

Learn your Letters, Learn to Serve is really good. Super fun, well-laid out. It doesn't have reading instruction, but does have memory work, service work, writing, songs/phonics, craft ideas, and more.

HTH

Thanks a lot for your advice:001_smile:

Thank you!:001_smile:

Thanks!

I really don't do formal academics with my dc before 4yo (and then very light). However, there are some great non-formal feeling programs out there that are age-appropriate.

Sonlight has two great programs for 3-5yos. I highly recommend P3/4 for your ds. At this age, it is mostly a collection of great picture books. My ds6 started reading at 2yo and was reading fluently by early 3yo (self-taught). I used P3/4 with him for 2 years and added a few gentle things when he was 4 like Singapore EM. He read all of the SL Grade 1 readers and many similar books on his own (we had them on the shelf from big brother). He also started reading P3/4 selections to his little brother after nap time. I didn't feel the need to do any further reading work with him since he was so far ahead and wasn't keen on writing yet. We did do large motor skill activities to start the writing process. A salt box is my best friend for the preschool years.

When he turned 5, I started Spell to Write and Read which is a great program to fill phonics gaps and start spelling with an advanced reader. It also gets them writing. As a side note, it was also great to teach my oldest to read at 4.5yo as he wasn't the self-taught type like my 2nd. I added P4/5 and math to round out our Kindy year core.

Other fun things to look into are puzzle type games like Mighty Mind (included in SL's P3/4), Rush Hour, pattern blocks, and Cuisenaire Rods.

Edited by Dinsfamily
Fixing auto-correct

I agree with the other posters...I wouldn't do anything formal. When I first started reading your post, I immediately was thinking of the McGuffey Readers...they start with the primer and go up to the sixth reader. They are a little old fashioned but excellent.

I agree with the other posters...I wouldn't do anything formal. When I first started reading your post, I immediately was thinking of the McGuffey Readers...they start with the primer and go up to the sixth reader. They are a little old fashioned but excellent.

Thanks thanks:)

I really don't do formal academics with my dc before 4yo (and then very light). However, there are some great non-formal feeling programs out there that are age-appropriate.

Sonlight has two great programs for 3-5yos. I highly recommend P3/4 for your ds. At this age, it is mostly a collection of great picture books. My ds6 started reading at 2yo and was reading fluently by early 3yo (self-taught). I used P3/4 with him for 2 years and added a few gentle things when he was 4 like Singapore EM. He read all of the SL Grade 1 readers and many similar books on his own (we had them on the shelf from big brother). He also started reading P3/4 selections to his little brother after nap time. I didn't feel the need to do any further reading work with him since he was so far ahead and wasn't keen on writing yet. We did do large motor skill activities to start the writing process. A salt box is my best friend for the preschool years.

When he turned 5, I started Spell to Write and Read which is a great program to fill phonics gaps and start spelling with an advanced reader. It also gets them writing. As a side note, it was also great to teach my oldest to read at 4.5yo as he wasn't the self-taught type like my 2nd. I added P4/5 and math to round out our Kindy year core.

Other fun things to look into are puzzle type games like Mighty Mind (included in SL's P3/4), Rush Hour, pattern blocks, and Cuisenaire Rods.

Wow, a self taught reader! Amazing:) I am actually in the process of deciding between FIAR and Sonlight. What I wanted to know, actually, was how to develop my son's reading fluency, speed and endurance & further solidify his foundation. Right now, he is able to read the 1st grade Bob book(and I say this because that is the only reading material that I have left & I dont know what to let him read next that will promote all my reasons above). I really just want to meet him where he is and proceed from there. :001_smile:

Wow, a self taught reader! Amazing:) I am actually in the process of deciding between FIAR and Sonlight. What I wanted to know, actually, was how to develop my son's reading fluency, speed and endurance & further solidify his foundation. Right now, he is able to read the 1st grade Bob book(and I say this because that is the only reading material that I have left & I dont know what to let him read next that will promote all my reasons above). I really just want to meet him where he is and proceed from there. :001_smile:

I guess my point is that I prefer not to use formal reading curriculum with early readers, but use a Spalding-type program when they start K (at 5yo). SWR has been great for filling in gaps and building fluency. Any Spalding-type program would work similarly. We use SL reader packages alongside it. Before that, we work harder on writing prep (gross/fine motor skills) and lots of reading aloud. SWR has a section on starting with preschoolers which is helpful.

I do make sure they have access to good books to read. My early reader started Dr. Seuss after he finished Bob Books. I'm not sure if that's a typical progression so YMMV.

I guess my point is that I prefer not to use formal reading curriculum with early readers, but use a Spalding-type program when they start K (at 5yo). SWR has been great for filling in gaps and building fluency. Any Spalding-type program would work similarly. We use SL reader packages alongside it. Before that, we work harder on writing prep (gross/fine motor skills) and lots of reading aloud. SWR has a section on starting with preschoolers which is helpful.

I do make sure they have access to good books to read. My early reader started Dr. Seuss after he finished Bob Books. I'm not sure if that's a typical progression so YMMV.

Thanks so much! I learned a lot from your inputs:001_smile: