Menu

Calzones - Jiffy Mix or Bread Dough?

Um. The dough cycle is an hour and a half? Uh oh. I am serving dinner late looks like...it's gonna be six o clock before it's on the table! It's four o'clock now.

Appetizers anybody? :)

I'm going to use this recipe from King Arthur Flour, seems to work pretty good around here, comparable to Red Mill I think, just less expensive. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-crust-recipe

I think these are going to end up Mexican Style something or rather. Someone think up a fancy name for Mexican Calzones so I can look all hardworking and classy.

snort. Slumming. :rofl: I grew up on Jiffy, as my mother cannot make a pie crust to save her life.

Calzones are yeast bread, not pie crust.

You can use Jiffy for pie crust???:eek::huh:

Blech.

Jiffy = biscuits, to me. And salty ones, at that. I always imagined hardtack would taste like Jiffy. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Um. The dough cycle is an hour and a half? Uh oh. I am serving dinner late looks like...it's gonna be six o clock before it's on the table! It's four o'clock now.

I'm going to use this recipe from King Arthur Flour, seems to work pretty good around here, comparable to Red Mill I think, just less expensive. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-crust-recipe

I think these are going to end up Mexican Style something or rather. Someone think up a fancy name for Mexican Calzones so I can look all hardworking and classy.

Calzone a la Mexicala? :lol:

You can use Jiffy for pie crust???:eek::huh:

Blech.

Jiffy = biscuits, to me. And salty ones, at that. I always imagined hardtack would taste like Jiffy. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

I think it was actually Jiffy pie crust mix... I'd say "the little blue box" but they're ALL the little blue box, so that doesn't really narrow it down. I imagine you're probably right. I never liked pie very much, until I moved out. :D

Nah. You don't have to do a full-on bread rise. Mix it, roll it, fill it. It will rise enough in the oven.

Whew, cool.

Stuffing is hamburger, packet of taco seasoning, stewed tomatoes with chiles and that white pepper cheese. Um. Oh Montery Jack and Cheddar. Seems like I should throw something else in there, maybe a a half a cup of those black seasoned beans.

Man I have a ton of those still. The dish that gives forever and ever.

Jiffy makes more than just the multi-purpose baking mix, which is probably what you're thinking of, WTMCassandra. They make that, plus muffin mix, pizza crust mix, pie crust mix, and, looking at their website, it appears they make brownie mix, frosting mix, cake mix, and they used to make cookie mixes. I sometimes buy the blueberry muffin mix and add real blueberries--it gives me a basic mix for when I don't want to pull all the ingredients together from scratch. I also do that for the apple cinnamon muffin mix--I add finely chopped apples and lots of cinnamon. (I use 2 boxes at a time, as 1 box makes 6 muffins, and I've learned to add 1 egg per 2 boxes for fluffier muffins)

Or: (French accent) zee leftovEURS (American) in bread.

My mother would have said something like that. :) Hand waving, drama and a twirl would be included with a "Madame, here iz zee GRAND supreme leftovEURS for YOU!" She'd probably yank back a white linen cloth and snap it too.

They lived in France for a time, she had the most hysterical stories about living there.