Menu

Would you please pray?

Dh was laid off from our school system, as some of you know and have followed what happened. He decided to go back to school to get into computers because there are so few social studies openings, and 200 people are applying for 1 job at a time. He was told at the college that he would qualify for a program to pay for it due to the layoff.

He found out yesterday he won't qualify because he has a marketable skill and there are still teaching jobs out there. He wanted to know where, but of course the lady at the department of labor just gave her memorized speech denying the benefit. He also started classes yesterday and feels overwhelmed. One teacher spent most of the time reading his syllabus to them, then just cut them loose to do all this stuff on their own without any help. My husband is taking all the intro classes first because he really doesn't know much other than the programs he used in the classroom, so he needs a real introduction to all the details, you know?

He's very discouraged right now. Will any of you please be praying for him? I don't mind us going in debt for school if it means he will have a good job later, but I think he wonders if he can really do this whole go back to school and change careers thing at his age. Thanks so much!

I will pray :)

My husband had been a master brick mason for 18 years when his back "blew out" in 2001. He was lost! He loved laying brick and never thought he'd do anything else. In '02 he began taking computer classes with little more knowledge than it took to turn the machine on and off. In '04 he got in with an older man who had a one-man computer shop, and more or less "apprenticed" under him. In '06, the man was ready for retirement, and we were able to buy the business.

It's so funny because my husband is a big ol' biker-looking guy, covered with tattoos, a gruff manner, and pretty much the exact opposite of what one might expect of a "computer nerd." He's great at what he does though, has an instinctive head for business (unlike me, who feels sorry for everyone and would give everything away), and his customers are fiercely loyal.

Sorry to ramble, I just really hoped to encourage you both. Welcome to the next season of your life!

I will pray :)

My husband had been a master brick mason for 18 years when his back "blew out" in 2001. He was lost! He loved laying brick and never thought he'd do anything else. In '02 he began taking computer classes with little more knowledge than it took to turn the machine on and off. In '04 he got in with an older man who had a one-man computer shop, and more or less "apprenticed" under him. In '06, the man was ready for retirement, and we were able to buy the business.

It's so funny because my husband is a big ol' biker-looking guy, covered with tattoos, a gruff manner, and pretty much the exact opposite of what one might expect of a "computer nerd." He's great at what he does though, has an instinctive head for business (unlike me, who feels sorry for everyone and would give everything away), and his customers are fiercely loyal.

Sorry to ramble, I just really hoped to encourage you both. Welcome to the next season of your life!

Thanks for the encouragement!!! I'm so glad it has worked out well for your dh.