Menu

Distance runners, what do I do until this Sunday?

So spur of the moment I signed up for my first half marathon this coming Sunday. I am little nervous because it's a trail run and I have only trained on an even dirt track. Also, I didn't use a training plan. I just ran once a week for the heck of it. When I hit 10 miles with relative comfort last week, I signed up for the soonest run close to me.

So now what? Do nothing? Do something? What should I plan?

Also, it bites that check in is at 6 am.

Yea, You!!!!! My advice would be to run your "normal" daily distance most of this week and taper a little. If you normally run 5 miles a day, then run that today and tomorrow, then run maybe 3 on Wednesday and Thursday, take Friday off, run 2 on Saturday just to get your feet under you. Then run like crazy on Sunday! The best advice I ever got was, "don't do anything wierd." Don't eat anything you normally wouldn't, take anything, stretch differently, etc. Carb up on Saturday! I hope it is a lot of fun!:D

If you have hit 10 miles then don't do another long run. Run a couple times this week SHORT. No more than 4 miles. You could work on speed by running one day of sprints, but one week prior I would just run short and rest. I am not at 10 miles yet. I am following a training plan because I am trying to shorten my mile. I hit 7 on Saturday and have 4 more weeks.

Good luck!

ETA: I just notice you gripe about 6 am check in LOL....that would totally do me in too. My suggestion would be run at 6 am as many times as you can but not many days in a row. If you NEVER run early, that will be tough. My plan is to run early twice a week starting 2 weeks before because early running = torture for me.

Edited by 425lisamarie

I would go light this week and make sure you're eating and hydrating well all week. And just have an open mind going into the event and start SLOW! If you're up to 10 miles, you should be just fine.

I did a triathlon this past weekend without nearly enough training, but it went GREAT! I just started slow and had no expectations about my time or anything. It was very fun. I haven't done a half marathon in years. I had to check in for my tri at 5:45. Blech. Feel your pain there.

Yea, You!!!!! My advice would be to run your "normal" daily distance most of this week and taper a little. If you normally run 5 miles a day, then run that today and tomorrow, then run maybe 3 on Wednesday and Thursday, take Friday off, run 2 on Saturday just to get your feet under you. Then run like crazy on Sunday! The best advice I ever got was, "don't do anything wierd." Don't eat anything you normally wouldn't, take anything, stretch differently, etc. Carb up on Saturday! I hope it is a lot of fun!:D

:iagree:

Especially the yea you!! Carbing up can mean spaghetti (for most runners that's what it means). It could just as easily be bread. I've yet to hear a runner who carbed up with fruits and veggies.

Oh and Sunday before you run - I tend to drink a moderate amount, eat a banana and a bagel. Coffee if your body is used to it and it's not going to make smelly trips to the port-a-pot necessary. (For some people there is a coffee/bowel connection.) Or time it so you go a bit before the start time.

But have fun!!

Just do what you normally would but take a break the day before. I know you've struggled to get over the longer-run hump...now's not the time to do things differently. I'm so excited for you! :grouphug: And remember, the longer runs don't just entail running; it's more a mind game than anything. Get out there and tear it up! :)

Especially the yea you!! Carbing up can mean spaghetti (for most runners that's what it means). It could just as easily be bread. I've yet to hear a runner who carbed up with fruits and veggies.

Well now you have. ;) It's amazing how I gained 20 lbs. after reading much about runner's "nutrition," (aka spaghetti and bagels) but before that, I was leaner and lighter, BQing on my first marathon. Trust me, I'm going back to fruits and veggies for the rest of my running career. :D

Have fun this weekend LG!!!

"I would go light this week and make sure you're eating and hydrating well all week. And just have an open mind going into the event and start SLOW! If you're up to 10 miles, you should be just fine."

I would take it nice and easy this week. I've been a runner all my life and if you come this far, you'll be fine. Just be sure to eat well and drink lots of water all week. Two nights before the half is the night to worry about getting enough sleep; the night before won't matter. And don't change anything else. Eat what you know works for you; everyone is different.

The adrenaline of the day will take you through. I did one in March that was under-prepared for due to injury. The last couple of miles were a challenge, but I felt great.

Best wishes and update us on how you do!