Menu

How do I decide between 2 color schemes?

I have to select fabrics for my living room loveseat and chair/ottoman. I cannot decide between 2 color schemes. One is bright and cheerful. The other is warm and cozy.

How do you decide? I am going crazy! This wouldn't be a problem if the sofa manufacturer had either pale yellow or light/medium green leather in their line-up.

Sofa leather (IRL it is a shade lighter):

Blue/green floral print and plain green: (Several people IRL have told me that these fabrics will only go with a white or blue leather sofa -- but the sofa has already been ordered and the leather cut. So if that is the case, this color scheme is out the window.)

Khaki green print and light gold (green and soft yellow would be accent colors):

The green/gold color scheme is not set in stone as far as fabrics are concerned -- I have more samples being sent to me.

I just have a problem with deciding between 2 color schemes that I like. Tell me what you think.

I like warm and cozy for the winter. OTOH, the room itself has poor natural light and I love cheerful, bright colors, which would be a change because I've always used autumn colors in past decorating schemes.

What do you think I should do, knowing nothing except the information I've given you?

Thanks for your help!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Bright and cheerful!

:iagree: Unless you like really dark places, then go w/ the other ones. I like the blue/green/floral, but I'm not into dark colors anymore. Really, you have to go w/ what you will love. If you prefer the darker- then look into adding lamps and other accessories (lighter throw pillows, lighter art work on walls, etc.) to brighten the room.

Well, the problem is that the bright & cheerful scheme makes me feel bright & cheerful. The green/gold scheme makes me feel warm & cozy.

So how do I decide which feeling gets precedence when I've only got one living room? Flip a coin?

Will bright and cheerful go with the brown sofa? I tried to change the leather to white, but the sofa's leather was cut this morning, so no changes.

I'd pick whichever would be easier to clean/doesn't show stains or dirt as much. Which would probably be the darker color scheme.

My Alaska family mentioned that they thought my brother's home in Arizona was very darkly decorated. Their house is brightly decorated because they are looking for a feeling of light and warmth, something different from their outside environment. And my brother's house is darker because he's looking for a feeling of cool, oasis, break from the desert outside. So you might want to go opposite of your climate.

Another consideration might be how long/dark/severe your winters are. If you are prone to cabin fever/SAD I would chose the brighter/more cheerful look to help in the winter months.

I'd go with neutrals because you can add bright colors in pillows, drapes and accessories. Neutrals are timeless. If you go with the floral, IMHO, you have fewer choices for accessories and it may look dated more quickly than neutrals.

Just my two rupees,

Lisa

I would go with the top fabric in the first set (the green) and the bottom fabric in the second set. Your colors would then be the taupe and lime green. The blue in the floral pattern just didn't do it for me with all the taupe in leather sofa. But I love the lime green and the taupe. I don't think I would even add the yellow you mentioned. Make the chair and ottoman the lime and the love seat the pattern taupe. Then try one accent wall as lime and a few strategically placed lime accents.

If you are dead set on a blue, then I would go more aqua with just the tiniest hints of the color.

What fun! Enjoy your project.

:)