Menu

1st grade secular history

materursa

Doesn't level 1 use SOTW as the spine?
The spine is technically the Usenet Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History (I *hate* typing that :) ), but yes, it does use SOTW as a narrative (as well as CHOW). Sorry, I tend to think in terms of the SOTW AG vs History Odyssey.

Are there any good secular options for doing grade 1 level history besides SOTW?

Thanks!

Amanda

K12's history is great, but it is almost word for word the same as SOTW. But I liked it because it was much more visual, which my dd prefers.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for something other than SOTW because I don't want biblical stories presented as fact in my history book, that approach just doesn't work for us. It appears to be quite difficult to find a history book for the youngers that doesn't do this though...

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for something other than SOTW because I don't want biblical stories presented as fact in my history book, that approach just doesn't work for us. It appears to be quite difficult to find a history book for the youngers that doesn't do this though...
Oh, if that's it, History Odyssey could work for you. These chapters of SOTW are optional, and clearly identified as Bible stories. We did them and Geraldine McCaughrean's two Bible stories books -- I treated them just like I did Gilgamesh or Greek myths. The two activity books used in HO Level 1 Ancients are secular: Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors. I'd highly recommend them no matter what ancient history program you go with. The activities are engaging, and the introductory text for each is detailed.

Are you looking for something on ancient history? Do you want activities, or just a book to read aloud?

Right now, I'm looking for something on ancient history, though, in the coming years, I'll need the rest of it too. I'm focusing on a book to read since that seems to be such an issue, but would consider any activities to be icing on the cake.

Thanks!

Amanda

Right now, I'm looking for something on ancient history, though, in the coming years, I'll need the rest of it too. I'm focusing on a book to read, but would consider any activities to be icing on the cake.

Thanks!

Amanda

Amanda,

You can use Sonlight Core 1 without the bible component. It uses CHOW and Usborne World History as spine texts. Though CHOW will have an occasional mention of one God, and maybe a few Biblical events (it has been a few years). I know the Greek gods were introduced in contrast to believing in one God. There is a whole yahoo group for using SL secular.

I also like the Kingfisher World History book.

Heather

Right now, I'm looking for something on ancient history, though, in the coming years, I'll need the rest of it too. I'm focusing on a book to read, but would consider any activities to be icing on the cake.

Thanks!

Amanda

Some options, all of which you should double check for Bible references:

The Usborne Book of World History

Oxford First Ancient History

Galore Park Junior History

A Little History of the World by EH Gombrich

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon

A Child's History of the World by VM Hillyer

Suzanne Strauss Art's Early Times series (including Greece, Rome, the Americas and China)

Peoples of the Ancient World series, including Japan, India and Africa

Snuggle up with your kiddo on the couch to read a two page spread. Point to the related pictures as you read the text. Afterwards, have your kiddo

- draw a picture of something he or she learned

- describe what's going on in the pictures in her own words, or

- act out with his action figures what happened in that historical period

It's that simple.

Thanks dragons...

I was hoping for something in the narrative style like SOTW, but that doesn't seem to exist. I've got a few of the history encyclopedias, so I think I'll just follow your suggestions and go with that. Not quite what I had hoped, but will definitely do.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions!

Amanda

JMHO, but SOTW 1 has worked just fine in my largely secular home by teaching the bible stories as myths. SOTW is such a great resource that I would hate to see you not use it just on that basis. It would be a lot less work on your part to either cut the 2 or 3 chapters that present biblical stories and use the rest or just present them as fairy tales, or cultural tales, which is how I have gone about it. Of course, I also have been reading bible stories with my son along with history as myths, and plan to put The Blue Fairy Book in our "religion" spot when we are done the book of bible stories. Just my .02.

JMHO, but SOTW 1 has worked just fine in my largely secular home by teaching the bible stories as myths. SOTW is such a great resource that I would hate to see you not use it just on that basis. It would be a lot less work on your part to either cut the 2 or 3 chapters that present biblical stories and use the rest or just present them as fairy tales, or cultural tales, which is how I have gone about it. Of course, I also have been reading bible stories with my son along with history as myths, and plan to put The Blue Fairy Book in our "religion" spot when we are done the book of bible stories. Just my .02.

I have to agree with Starlashine. I have not found SOTW to have anything remotely pervasive in its religious stance. Is it 100% secular? No, probably not by most standards. But it is SO easy to work with. Hardly any effort at all.

We are also using Mosaic and we love it.

We are secular. As far as the "religious" aspects of SOTW, if you don't want bible stories, just skip those chapters. There isn't a pervasive Christian theme running through the entire book. In fact, that is a criticism I have seen of the book from Christian homeschoolers--that it's not a Christian-based book.

Tara