Menu

I just notice our apple juice has concentrate from

China. I was fairly shocked by this. Does all juice have to include where the concentrate is from? I couldn't see anything about it from the other juice we bought. Can anyone give me advice/guidance on this?

Can I ask what brand you use? It would be just my luck that it is the same as the kind I use :mad: . I'd check myself, but we are out at the moment. I just had this same experience with canned artichokes. I was aghast! And what was worse - there were no other options to chose from in our very large supermarket (the artichokes were the store brand - the others were removed from the shelf, stickers and all).

Ours is Old Orchard frozen concentrate. I will be checking more foods more carefully in the future. I'm having a serious problem with depending on China for any food (as well as numerous other things North America is perfectly capable of generating), but...APPLES, too????

Ridiculous.

We too were amazed to find that our former frozen concentrate included juice from China. Our current brand (the house brand just changed at our store) includes juice from China, Argentina and Germany. We have multi-cultural juice!

Regards,

Kareni

Wha?????? Are you kidding me????

I'm getting real sick of this, real fast!!! I don't know what I'm going to do about it....but I'll think about it tonight. Has anyone or any organization compiled a list of products w/ ingredients grown only in the US?? I'm trying to eat more locally but at this rate, I'll take food that's grown within my own country for now.

I find this pretty disturbing. Thanks for sharing. I never thought to check.

Well, the only reason I know this is because we had the juice sitting on the table (it's not the frozen kind) and the light was shining just right and I saw the very light print that was basically the same color as the juice. I freaked out and dh was rather frustrated since he had just bought it and it is a 50 gallon drum of juice. :lol: He expressed that he didn't think to look for that. I said who would look there anyway. Ridiculous! Dd asked if she should drink it. I reacted dramatically. We all dumped out our glasses.

I haven't bought frozen concentrate recently.

Nearly all of the bottled apple juice is labeled for country of origin, but it can be hard to read due to tiny black lettering and my old eyes. I have noticed on one brand (can't recall which) that their apple juice is from China, but their apple cider is not.

Well, I don't know if it's the late hour, fatigue, or just plain frustration but I'm feeling like I'm going to explode!! I just went through my kitchen and bathroom to check exactly what I have that is from China. Considering the cost of transportation, how can shipping from China compete w/transport costs within our own country? I know, there's more to it than that.

I didn't find a whole lot to chuck out fortunately, but I did notice one of my multi vitamins has sucralose in it! It's a big ol' horse pill, I'm not chewing it, why does it need a sweetener??? Since I'm grinding my own wheat now and trying to eat more fresh produce, maybe I'll stop taking vitamins.

I'm wondering, how feasible it would be to get all of our food from local sources and try to do the same w/ any products we buy. It'll be an interesting experiment. Or at least keep our non-food products made only in the US. I have a Dutch friend who keeps talking about how we are becoming a more global society and that needs to be acknowledged and embraced.....I don't know what I think about that. I guess it's true but I haven't formed an opinion. I'm too busy washing diapers :) ,feeding my crew, learning about gardening and chickens, and homeschooling to think about the merits or lack of regarding a global society. However, I'd so love to hear other astute opinions....anyone interested in starting a dialogue?? I learn so much from these conversations!

...the light was shining just right and I saw the very light print that was basically the same color as the juice.

Oh, this is a peeve of mine! One particular bread company has several items with their ingredients printed in brown on the clear bag. Nice way to camouflage your HFCS there... :glare:

I don't know why fruits come from China.

And from what I've read, if it comes from China and says "Organic," you can forget about it being organic. They have no regulations in China about organic guidelines.

And many organics fruits and juices come from China.

I just signed up with Melaleuca for my laundry and cleaning stuff. I was going through ingredients of some things and I was pretty shocked. There is SLS in the antacid, sucralose in the vitamins and HFCS in the children's pain reliever. It never dawned on me to look at the Tylenol or Advil label. I should probably look at cough syrup, too.