Menu

What level of MCT for 3rd grader?

justLisa

DS completed most of FLL3, which we both couldn't stand but got through it. I am ditching this diagramming for now because it is not effective for him right now.

So, I have all of the first level, and started it, but then I switched to FLL3 because TWTM told me to :tongue_smilie:.

Anyways, now that I do what I want and what works I am wondering if I should do this with both my 1st and 3rd, or if it will be to easy for DS. I have not seen the further levels so I do not know if they are jump in at grade level type. The problem is he can diagram pretty well, but doesn't seem to remember all of the parts of speech.

I was planning to do Easy Grammar but I don't think I like the approach

Since our kids are often somewhat similar... I looked at it at the convention. I'm sure my son would be fine with Town level grammar, because grammar is easy for him. But the writing... He wasn't even ready for Island level writing (the writing assignments themselves). :tongue_smilie: I got the Island level vocab and poetry, and we're skipping the grammar (since we use KISS and like that) and doing other writing (WWE3 and IEW next year). I figure whatever grammar we would have gotten in Sentence Island is probably covered well in KISS anyway.

But if you're going to do the whole shebang, I'd suggest Island level for sure.

The grammar is the easiest portion of MCT. I would place by writing ability. There is quite a leap in challenge level between Sentence Island and Paragraph Town, and again between PT and Essay Voyage.

My oldest did "town" 2nd semester of 2nd and 1st semester of 3rd and it was the right level for her. "Island" would've been far too easy. However, she wasn't ready to move on to EV, so she's been doing other things in the interim. Killgallon Grammar for Middle School, PWME, and now WWS.

Since our kids are often somewhat similar... I looked at it at the convention. I'm sure my son would be fine with Town level grammar, because grammar is easy for him. But the writing... He wasn't even ready for Island level writing (the writing assignments themselves). :tongue_smilie: I got the Island level vocab and poetry, and we're skipping the grammar (since we use KISS and like that) and doing other writing (WWE3 and IEW next year). I figure whatever grammar we would have gotten in Sentence Island is probably covered well in KISS anyway.

But if you're going to do the whole shebang, I'd suggest Island level for sure.

Hmmm I never thought about not using one component or mixing levels. That is a good idea, as we did FLL3 and DS thinks grammar is easy. It is just not transfering all the time, not that I would expect it to at this age.... but I really want to spend more time WRITING next year. FLL3 was very easy for him and he could diagram all day long, but mostly during "grammar time" if that makes sense. We are also doing IEW and WWE3. I am thinking of rotating weeks. I am definitely not opposed to having one very easy subject so maybe Island will be a good fit. Maybe I finally found something I can read to both kids together! I KNOW DD will absolutely love it with all of the beautiful illustrations.