Menu

lapbooking a skill for mom...

ABQmom

I am going to be teaching our homeschool group how to lapbook, and I was thinking it would be great to actually make a lapbook at the meeting, so no one would be confused as to what one is and/or how to make one.

I was thinking of maybe doing one that would lapbook a skill for the moms instead of making one that reflected something the children might study. Has anyone ever done this? I just need some ideas to get me going. What would make it fun for you if you came to my meeting? What would be most helpful to learn if you had heard of lapbooking, but didn't know much about the process of making one?

I am going to be teaching our homeschool group how to lapbook, and I was thinking it would be great to actually make a lapbook at the meeting, so no one would be confused as to what one is and/or how to make one.

I was thinking of maybe doing one that would lapbook a skill for the moms instead of making one that reflected something the children might study. Has anyone ever done this? I just need some ideas to get me going. What would make it fun for you if you came to my meeting? What would be most helpful to learn if you had heard of lapbooking, but didn't know much about the process of making one?

The first thing that comes to mind is Karen Andreola's idea of "Mother Culture" for the homeschool mom. I don't have time to find the link right now, but somewhere on her website she talks about it in depth.

Each Mom could be told to bring pictures, lists, etc. of her own interests beyond homeschooling, to create her own lapbook of her own unique Mother Culture goals and choices.

Teaching a class about lapbooking, and making it relevant to the moms sounds great! Are you going through making all the parts and how to plan it out?

If everyone had a similarly aged child - like pre-K it would be great to have pre-made, pre-cut pieces that you could hand out and use to talk about. A friend of mine gave us a book and accompanying lapbook pieces and it was GREAT! I didn't have to do any prep-work and my daughter and I could put it together piece by piece over the next few weeks. So, if people are paying for the class, this might be a nice goody bag.

You said you wanted a skill for the moms. I'm not sure what kind of skill you have in mind, but what if you could put together a "scheduling" lapbook of some kind? It could have a place for a picture (changeable), an 8X10 calendar page, a book of birthdays/events, an address book with a pocket for stamps, note pages for curriculum ideas (I'm assuming homeschooling moms here), chore charts, favorite recipes and/or rolling shopping list, daily school schedule(s), etc. I don't know how you would best do all these, but of course people could pick and choose the parts that would be most useful for them.

If that isn't quite what you were thinking of, another idea might be a lapbook with a theme like Patience (I count it as a skill :D). It could have some quotes on the topic, ideas for regaining it, a tab sheet where you could pull off a tab for patience (like the tab sheets at the grocery for lawn mowing services where the tabs have the company's name and phone number). :001_smile:

I wish I could have taken a class! Would have saved me some paper.

The first thing that comes to mind is Karen Andreola's idea of "Mother Culture" for the homeschool mom. I don't have time to find the link right now, but somewhere on her website she talks about it in depth.

Each Mom could be told to bring pictures, lists, etc. of her own interests beyond homeschooling, to create her own lapbook of her own unique Mother Culture goals and choices.

I like this idea! I'll have to search for "Mother Culture". I have a vague recollection of that idea, but it sounds worth looking into.

BTW, how did you learn enough about lapbooking to be qualified to teach a class on it? I've been looking at lapbooking for my youngest child, but I can't quite get a handle on it.

Notebooking I do understand, but lapbooking is kind of eluding me.

Well, I don't know if I'm qualified to teach a class. Ha! I've just done a lot of lapbooking with my own kids and with my class at church, so I've learned by doing. It's really pretty easy--you just have to dive in and make one. Using the premade ones first helped me to "get it".

Teaching a class about lapbooking, and making it relevant to the moms sounds great! Are you going through making all the parts and how to plan it out?

If everyone had a similarly aged child - like pre-K it would be great to have pre-made, pre-cut pieces that you could hand out and use to talk about. A friend of mine gave us a book and accompanying lapbook pieces and it was GREAT! I didn't have to do any prep-work and my daughter and I could put it together piece by piece over the next few weeks. So, if people are paying for the class, this might be a nice goody bag.

You said you wanted a skill for the moms. I'm not sure what kind of skill you have in mind, but what if you could put together a "scheduling" lapbook of some kind? It could have a place for a picture (changeable), an 8X10 calendar page, a book of birthdays/events, an address book with a pocket for stamps, note pages for curriculum ideas (I'm assuming homeschooling moms here), chore charts, favorite recipes and/or rolling shopping list, daily school schedule(s), etc. I don't know how you would best do all these, but of course people could pick and choose the parts that would be most useful for them.

If that isn't quite what you were thinking of, another idea might be a lapbook with a theme like Patience (I count it as a skill :D). It could have some quotes on the topic, ideas for regaining it, a tab sheet where you could pull off a tab for patience (like the tab sheets at the grocery for lawn mowing services where the tabs have the company's name and phone number). :001_smile:

I wish I could have taken a class! Would have saved me some paper.

Oooo... A scheduling lapbook sounds fun too. I guess I'm not sure what I mean by skill either. :) I was just thinking something that a homeschool mom needs to know or do in her everday life. I suppose I could do some sort short Bible study and turn that into a lapbook too. Mmmm.. the possibilities!

Maybe this is too silly, but a lapbook about lapbooking? One thing could be terminology, another could be sites where you get lapbook kits, another free lapbook sites, another clip art sites... Use some creative, especially interesting features (my DD had a cute boat in one from her co-op -some things like that). Then moms would have a resource and ideas for doing one with the kids.

I agree that you giving them a ready-to-use one would also be really great. Then it'd be easy to start. Sometimes it is that first step...

BTW, how did you learn enough about lapbooking to be qualified to teach a class on it? I've been looking at lapbooking for my youngest child, but I can't quite get a handle on it.

Notebooking I do understand, but lapbooking is kind of eluding me.

The best way to figure out lapbooking is to do it. :D

When I'm planning a lapbook, I think through and list the main things or ideas I want to make sure we cover. Usually, each of those topics becomes one of the mini books (sometimes I find that two or more can be combined or that one is too long and needs to be broken into more than one).

Then as we learn about the subject of the lapbook, we usually cover one of those subtopics a day and then do the appropriate mini book to go with it. Sometimes I'll plan a mini book that doesn't fit neatly into one day (one for vocabulary words about the subject, for example), and for something like that I'll work it in as we go (add a word or two a day that is related to our subtopic, or do that one at the end to review).

I usually put the mini books aside either until we're done or until we're close to done. Then I work on assembling the lapbook, figuring out where things will fit, whether we need to add a few things, etc. If we have some empty spaces, we often fill them with pictures printed from the Internet that relate to the topic.

If you want to try lapbooking and aren't quite sure what to do, start with something simple. Choose a topic and figure out the main things you want your child to learn--those will be your mini books. Look at lots of examples online to get ideas for mini books and. assembly. Many blogs I've seen have detailed pics that help you get a good idea of how they're put together--I have several on my blog. And you can ask questions here--I know there are several of us (at least) who do some lapbooking.:D

Maybe this is too silly, but a lapbook about lapbooking? One thing could be terminology, another could be sites where you get lapbook kits, another free lapbook sites, another clip art sites... Use some creative, especially interesting features (my DD had a cute boat in one from her co-op -some things like that). Then moms would have a resource and ideas for doing one with the kids.

I agree that you giving them a ready-to-use one would also be really great. Then it'd be easy to start. Sometimes it is that first step...

Actually, that is a great idea. Really.

Do you think you could update when you finish this (perhaps with pictures ;))? Lapbooking is a term I hear thrown around frequently, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. :blush: I am definitely new to this concept and would love to get a better idea of what lapbooking entails, what the benefits are, how to get started, etc.

I'll try to blog about it, and then post here when I do.

http://www.ajourneythroughlearning.com/

The Mother's Memories lapbook from A Journey Through Learning=D It's for moms! And already done for you.. lol

Neat site and lapbook! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone--you've all given me some great ideas to go with!