Menu

Thoughts on buying too much curriculum

I have a very generous home school budget. My usual pattern is to look at all the catalogs and choose what I like, and see what I can get based on my budget. Now that I am moving steadily towards a less-is-more approach (LCC) I am noticing something strange, and wondering what you all think about it.

I am having great difficulty buying less. I mean actual moments of sweaty panic. In thinking about this, in sorting out the reasons *why* I buy so much, I am coming to some uncomfortable realizations.

First, I buy curriculum like an insurance policy. Somehow spending that dollar eases the unacknowledged fear that my kids might not meet my academic hopes. I have though about this before, but it is really showing itself now. If I *buy* that rigorous book, then somehow it guarantees we are rigorous. A least it comforts that dark worry place. Does that make sense?

Second, I must think quantity= quality. Frankly, looking at the LCC reading list scares me. There are less books that the two other programs i was planning on! Never mind that I feel I am very smart and I have read very few of these books. Never mind that I intellectually agree that one book read well is better than 10 books skimmed. Somehow I look at a program that offers no whirly-gigs and I struggle with wondering if it is enough. I am embarrassed at my obvious raccoon-like tendency to gravitate towards the shiny.

Third- I have dispatched consumerism in so many ares of my life, but buying books is an "approved" consumerism that I let myself wallow in. Spending money feels good! So I can be proud of not using plastic bags, and having fewer shoes, and meanwhile my shelves are bulging. (On a Christian Content note our pastor was talking about wealth (from the book of James), and I was agreeing with him wholeheartedly until he threw the word "books" into his sermon. I stopped cold. He considered books wealth! He told me to consider giving away books I don't read! I did not hear the next few minutes of the sermon as I frantically thrashed in justification mode. I guess that is what started all this. No one else remembers him saying 'books' which is even more freaky.)

These are just a few thoughts over my second cup of coffee. I am wondering if any of you have been there done that and have a few words of comfort? Advice? Tomatoes? I think I need to go take a walk.

We are starting on the LCC path this fall. Before I decided to pursue that route I had a million things on my wish list and I was in a panic because I knew I needed to order and get planning.

After I started looking at LCC I had a moment of brief panic, because the books are lined out, it's a great framework. After completely redoing my choices I realized I would be spending a LOT less on curriculua. I opted to keep my same budget but added in some much desired extras. I ordered a microscope, telescope, binding machine and teaching the classics DVD's. That's 300.00 of extras I purchase because LCC saved me money (Many thanks, Drew :D).

I've also used the recs in the 2nd edition to help with my self-education. I plan on reading through the great books selections and hopefully get done before ds enters high school. I've found a lot of them on paperbackswap.com and that has saved me even more money.

It's hard to get out of the consumer mindset, but can you purchase some investment items and work on your own education. While I collect books in spurts, I love digging deeply into a good book.

I have found that the further I go in this homeschooling journey (only 6 years) the less I am inclined to buy on the spur of the moment and the more picky I am. I used to LOVE buying curriculum and now I really have less of that desire. Perhaps I am a recovered curriculum junky or something. I think it does have to do with trusting yourself and not feeling that you are missing out on the "best" or "latest and greatest" curriculum.

For me as a newbie, I like to buy used curriculum so I can check it out -- what I joke is my "catch and release" habit (I did the same thing with cloth diapers and baby carriers, lol!). Some stays, some moves along via ebay, but either way I feel like I'm making more informed decisions by reviewing the actual curriculum. I've put my shopping (mostly) on hold -- I'm really looking forward to my first hs conference in a couple weeks where I'll be able to look at stuff without purchasing it first.

*In general* I'm a frugal person. I've never come across one of those lists of how to save money that listed *anything* I haven't done my whole life.

That said, I consider books an exception. Not junk books, not just to fill shelves, not indiscriminate purchases, but good books. Good quality, too, if we can afford it. (There came a pt when I looked at our sagging bookshelves & realized every book there had a big yellow sticker down the spine that said "Used Saves.")

I look at book purchases in 2 ways. First, by buying a book (rather than getting it at the library, borrowing from a friend, etc.), you are supporting the author & sometimes a very supportable bookstore. I appreciate what these people do the same way I appreciate pastors or missionaries. Their work is important, & their time is important. Again, remember I don't mean whim or junk purchases.

WTM, for ex, I read at the library, loved, & spent the next several yrs searching for at 1/2 Price. My ds was only a baby, & I didn't *need* a copy sooner. But once the new ed came out, I bought it new. It's one of the books that is worth 2 spaces on my shelf, lol. (Ftr, it's a RARE book that is worth buying NEW to me.)

Second point about buying books: I've seen many extremes in parenting styles, from overly permissive to totalitarian, dogmatic, etc. I try to balance whatever we do--w/ Christmas, for ex, I think it's important to embrace the magic of childhood while it's there. I think it's important to bake cookies, make decorations, & sprinkle reigndeer food on the lawn. We don't get that time back. I want to enjoy it.

So when I look at the fact that we all mess up as parents, I decided that I want my mistakes to be on the side of being too soft. Giving them too much cake seems easier to overcome than too much discipline, kwim? This is a really round-about way of saying that I'd rather err on the side of giving them too many books than too few.

Sure, I know it can become consumeristic. I'm not even saying that my approach isn't that. My dc love bookstores, though, because they have all the books w/ bells & whistles that I *won't* buy. Otoh, now that ds is old enough to choose better books, he sits at 1/2 P reading Magic School Bus while I shop. And if he likes what he's read, doesn't already have it, I consider these good books. They're about a dollar, & I'm not going to worry about having too many science books around the house, kwim?

And as far as worrying about books being extravagant, I've btdt, too. Heard sermons on it, worried about it, purged. But in the end, I think careful purchases & lots of bookshelves are a more balanced approach while our dc are w/ us.

And, come to think of it, I may be a little influenced by how difficult it's becoming to get to the library w/ 4 dc, 3 of them 5 & under. :D

And never forget: the library can become expensive, too. ;)

Just wanted to say "kudos to you." I think it's great that you are learning all this about yourself--those sorts of discoveries are certainly humbling, but please be encouraged by them; they just mean that you are taking these changes seriously. God will bring to completion every good work he begins in you!

PS--Meant to add, for me, this very issue (and related issues that deal with large-scale changes) is "two steps forward, one step back." Just last week, I was bragging to my husband that I'd heard about this fabulous, must-have homeschooling book that was only $12 and promises to revolutionize our science program, BUT I frugally decided to check it out from the library before deciding whether to order it on Amazon. Yay for me, right? Then, later the SAME DAY, I purchased a $15 novel at Costco for myself totally on impulse.

What was I thinking? Makes NO sense!

I have a very generous home school budget...

I am having great difficulty buying less...

Second, I must think quantity= quality...Never mind that I feel I am very smart and I have read very few of these books.

Third- I have dispatched consumerism in so many ares of my life, but buying books is an "approved" consumerism that I let myself wallow in. Spending money feels good! So I can be proud of not using plastic bags, and having fewer shoes, and meanwhile my shelves are bulging.

Were we separated at birth, by any chance? :D

I have no real advice, except to say that embracing LCC will eventually give you peace about your expenditures if that's the path your family is meant to follow. It has taken me over a year to be satisfied that I really don't need to make out another bookllist...I don't require another stodgy workbook...I don't have to go peruse a bunch of new stuff because. this. works. for. us.

Like elegantlion mentioned, I'm trying to shift my focus over to things of lasting benefit such as museum memberships and items for self-education.

Now, if I could just get over my urge to hoard school supplies... ;)

I LOVE books. I fight with myself all the time about what to buy and how much to buy. What I find interesting is that you seem to be the only one to hear the pastor say anything about books!!!! You should get a tape or CD of his sermon and see if he really talked about books or if it was your own conscience talking. ;)

Were we separated at birth, by any chance? :D

Now, if I could just get over my urge to hoard school supplies... ;)

Oh my. I forgot about adding in my school supply hoard. But when glue is 20 CENTS A BOTTLE it is a sin *not* to buy it! Even if your secret stash is full of glue! Seriously, I am the first to admit that a clean sheet of paper has a magic quality to it- so much potential. I love school supplies. Period.

Oh my. I forgot about adding in my school supply hoard. But when glue is 20 CENTS A BOTTLE it is a sin *not* to buy it! Even if your secret stash is full of glue! Seriously, I am the first to admit that a clean sheet of paper has a magic quality to it- so much potential. I love school supplies. Period.

How else could we supply ourselves + our neighbors????

And clean paper. Mmm. Clean paper = the smell of baking bread. Its *potential* alone is healing. LOL

Now y'all all know why I need a bigger house. And why some of our dry goods are stored in the kids' closet. Oops. Did I say that out loud? :lol:

Ahh, you all have so many good points. I knew I could come here!

I think I should be more clear too about the fact that I think buying books and curriculum is *great*. I am just startled to see what is underneath that- motive wise- for *me*. While out walking, i remembered too that some of this started for me when I began to realize my ds might have learning issues. Maybe adding books to my shelf was how I dealt with the emergence of that then-scary realization... that's where the 'insurance' analogy fits. Now that I am more confident, like WTMindy said, I should be able to let go of the behavior that does not serve me well, right? This is just that moment of vulnerability as i let go of the old and the new is not-yet-establidhed... right? I just want to stop hyperventilating every time I pass the Rainbow Resource catalog! :001_smile: You ladies are awesome!!!

Ahh, you all have so many good points. I knew I could come here!

I think I should be more clear too about the fact that I think buying books and curriculum is *great*. I am just startled to see what is underneath that- motive wise- for *me*. While out walking, i remembered too that some of this started for me when I began to realize my ds might have learning issues. Maybe adding books to my shelf was how I dealt with the emergence of that then-scary realization... that's where the 'insurance' analogy fits. Now that I am more confident, like WTMindy said, I should be able to let go of the behavior that does not serve me well, right? This is just that moment of vulnerability as i let go of the old and the new is not-yet-establidhed... right? I just want to stop hyperventilating every time I pass the Rainbow Resource catalog! :001_smile: You ladies are awesome!!!

On the one hand, I totally see where you're coming from & agree.

Otoh, I see your tendency to buy books as "insurance" as the equivalent of eating vegetables. They're *good* for you! :D

I realize that some of what you're saying doesn't fall into that category. More workbooks, thick books to make you *feel* like school is rigorous, etc.--I just don't want you to be too hard on yourself!

I LOVE books. I fight with myself all the time about what to buy and how much to buy. What I find interesting is that you seem to be the only one to hear the pastor say anything about books!!!! You should get a tape or CD of his sermon and see if he really talked about books or if it was your own conscience talking. ;)

I am too scared to! :lol:

Been there, done that....what is really bad is when you bought it once (or twice), used it and then sold it....and then end up needing it again!

I used to be of the thinking...more was more (and sometimes it is), but in recent years "less IS more"....I just have one child and two years of homeschooling left though. I find I am getting to the place where after she is done...I am done with ALL the materials!

Sometimes you really do not know what works best until you see it and use it yourself...you can always sell used materials...rather have too much than too little?

Always good to check the motivations of our actions!!

On the one hand, I totally see where you're coming from & agree.

Otoh, I see your tendency to buy books as "insurance" as the equivalent of eating vegetables. They're *good* for you! :D

I realize that some of what you're saying doesn't fall into that category. More workbooks, thick books to make you *feel* like school is rigorous, etc.--I just don't want you to be too hard on yourself!

Thanks, Aubrey! :)

When Wal-mart has their sale I stock up. I now have enough composition notebooks to last for years, but I'm sure I will buy more once they go on sale again.

I found a half full glue bottle with ds' name on it. Last time that was required he was in Kindergarten, he's going into 5th this fall. I'll still buy more glue sticks later this year.

See, I can already tell that I'm going to be like this. And my oldest is only just about to begin pre-k this year LOL! I see stuff I like and I start thinking "Well, I can use this part from this curriculum.....but I like the "so-and-so" part of this other cirriculum better.....so I'll buy this other curriculum for that part.....and I'll combine them....along with this other stuff."

Yeah, I can see that this will become an addiction LOL!