Menu

Selling Little People and Geotrax in Yard Sale?

Anyone have experience with this? Seen these out and about while visiting yard/rummage sales?

We have a TON of Little People that are 6-10 years old, so they are not the current designs out. But, they are in excellent conditions,and most of the sets have every single piece, plus the extras we bought to go with. So for example, the farm set we have all the animals save one(hunting for the pig), plus four add-on sets to go with it. We also have the house, circus/carnival, construction set, large train, zoo plus add-on sets, zoo train, school bus, princess set, Noah's ark, and emergency station.

Question is: Do we price all of this as one large group, priced at say $100 for everything. Or do we price each set individually and set them up in the yard? Which is more appealing?

Same with the Geotrax. I honestly don't know how we'd seperate all those out, but we have five full trains, boxes of track, plenty of track accessories, buildings, etc. How on earth do I price this? There's easily over $600 worth of Geotrax here, but I don't think it's compatible with the current sets that are out. What's a fair price that will compensate my children fairly?

I don't think you're going to get the prices you're looking for at a yard sale.

For nice toy sets like these, you'll have better luck selling them in lots on Craigslist. Especially the Geotrax. People know how much those cost.

But at a yard sale, folks are looking for a bargain, not to spend $100.

If your Little People sets are complete, I'd separate them out and price them by the set. On the Geotrax, it might be easier to sell as a lot, but you'll not get as much for them that way.

We have Geotrax that are 6 years old or more, and they are still compatible with the brand new Batman sets and the Cars sets from a year or two ago, so I wouldn't worry about that. The tracks look a little different, but they all still fit together.

Edited by scrappyhappymama

For nice toy sets like these, you'll have better luck selling them in lots on Craigslist. Especially the Geotrax. People know how much those cost.

If your Little People sets are complete, I'd separate them out and price them by the set. On the Geotrax, it might be easier to sell as a lot, but you'll not get as much for them that way.

We have Geotrax that are 6 years old or more, and they are still compatible with the brand new Batman sets and the Cars sets from a year or two ago, so I wouldn't worry about that. The tracks look a little different, but they all still fit together.

:iagree: Try Craigslist first.

Well, this is why I'm asking. :) I have NO IDEA what these things would go for as a used item. No clue at all. It's been years since we've even looked at this stuff on shelves at stores. We've been hanging onto them for when the nieces and nephews come over, but when they do come over, they hang with our kids, and these toys don't come out, so it's time for them to go.

Would $5 a set for complete Little People be too much? Maybe $10 for the uber-completed farm set?

We're in a unique situation too, as the last time we had a rummage sale, it was in a community that was of the type to hunt for bargains. Now where we live, we hear rumors that rummage sales can do very well, that people aren't necessarily looking for great bargains, but more looking for durable goods that can be had for a reasonable price. We're trying to balance our pricing between bargain/reasonable.

$5 a set for Little People will probably get takers

I have a hard time valuing our Geotrax because we got ours WITH a Nilo table for only $50. And ended up getting rid of the Geotrax for free a year later when they were not played with enough to justify the amount of space they took up.

check out Ebay for some current prices. 5.00 for a complete set is a steal even at a garage sale!

If you go the garage sale route, people will ask you to come down..almost always. I would price them higher and expect to compromise.

check out Ebay for some current prices. 5.00 for a complete set is a steal even at a garage sale!

If you go the garage sale route, people will ask you to come down..almost always. I would price them higher and expect to compromise.

Wow, I just checked out E-bay on the Geotrax. I still have to try and sort through those and seperate them. But I'm thinking, based on checking Craisglist and Ebay that asking one lump sum for the bunch isn't impossible. I'll try to rummage AND craigslist them, and see what happens. I'd like to get some value out of them, but if they don't sell, maybe I will hang on to them and pass them on to a nephew or two.

The Little People I'm still torn on. After looking them all over- they are literally all over the living room now, my original spec. of $100 for used toys was too high. I'm thinking I'll price them individually per set $5 for the small ones, $10 for the large ones, and $7 for the in-between ones. PLUS I'll put a sign out stating that the whole lot can go for a steal of a price. We'll see what happens.

Would love more feedback though. Rummage sale pricing is kind of annoying!

But I'm thinking, based on checking Craisglist and Ebay that asking one lump sum for the bunch isn't impossible. I'll try to rummage AND craigslist them, and see what happens.

Not impossible at all. Lots of people buy big lots of stuff and then sell them at a markup in smaller sets. If you don't want to take the time I'm sure you can sell them as a big lot (depending on how active Craig's List is in your area of course--ours is totally dead).

I have been checking Craiglist lately, to see how much to price our own massive collection of GeoTrax. I think Craigslist is the way to go, rather than a yard sale, if you want your kiddos to earn a bit more. I'll be interested to see how you end up pricing this.

On the other hand, I sure wish we lived closer to you - I have a little one who is just ready for Little People, and we freecycled our collection years ago. :tongue_smilie: We would make a special trip to your yard sale!

I have been checking Craiglist lately, to see how much to price our own massive collection of GeoTrax. I think Craigslist is the way to go, rather than a yard sale, if you want your kiddos to earn a bit more. I'll be interested to see how you end up pricing this.

On the other hand, I sure wish we lived closer to you - I have a little one who is just ready for Little People, and we freecycled our collection years ago. :tongue_smilie: We would make a special trip to your yard sale!

:001_smile: It's really too bad Fisher Price didn't make these Little People sets more portable, or I'd offer them to you for a steal plus shipping. But I can't imagine how much it would cost to plunk all these bulky objects into boxes for shipping.

Our Craigslist has comparable sets of Geotrax listed between $50 and $350. I think the guy asking $350 is asking too much, but he has 3 more trains than we do. The ones on E-bay also range, but I noticed that there aren't many bids on the higher priced ones, and the ones that have bids don't go above $100 yet for the bulk lots. Not sure if those included shipping.