Menu

Question for Life of Fred users

After reading all the positive comments on the forum about Life of Fred, I decided to check it out and ordered the fraction book for my ds. We started the book today and we do really love it (DS will be in Singapore 6A this fall.)

My question is when do I use the other volumes of the series? Do I do decimals and percents after he finishes Singapore 6B or during 6A? When would I use the Beginning Algebra volume, right after Singapore 6B or after 7th grade math? How are you using the series?

I wish I could be more help here, I use TT with LOF, and I am planning on starting the next LOF when they finish the one they are on. I have a TT 7 working on fractions and a TT pre alg (almost done) working on LOF Algebra. I am not sure how LOF coordinates with Singapore, but I am taking a somewhat eaiser approach to LOF respecitve of TT.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer with my question. Are you using Life of Fred at the same time as the spine, or are you doing it before the spine, as an intro, or after, as a reinforcement.?

The LOF website says the books are for high school- but the fraction book can be started as soon as the multiplication tables are known. I'm finding the fraction book to be easy. What grade would you say the Decimals and Percent book would be equivalent to? What grade do you think the Beginning Algebra book would be equivalent to?

My son 11 just finished up Saxon 8/7. We will be doing LOF Fractions and Decimals and then move on to the next. The author said the Fraction and Decimal books should only take a few months each depending on the child. I'm trying to give my son a bit of a break after Saxon 8/7 and make sure he understands the concepts before moving on. We will be supplementing with Ed Zaccaro's Challenge Math during this time also. Since my son is only technically just entering 6 grade (if I had to place a grade w/him), he has plenty of time for a break.

Beginning algebra is equivalent to pre-algebra. So do that at whatever age you would do pre-algebra. We do it for 8th. I will be starting the fractions book in about 6th grade with my youngest. The first two books are not for high school.

Sorry I can't help with how to coordinate it with other curriculum. We will be using it alone.

I have both LOF Beginnning Algebra as well as Jacobs Algebra on my shelf. Yesterday I compared the two programs for scope and sequence. LOF Beginning Algebra covers the same topics as Jacobs Algebra and the sequence is quite similar esp. in the last half of the text. I would consider LOF to be a first year algebra course comparable to Jacobs rather than pre-algebra. It does have a bit of a pre-algebra component in the first part of the book similar to other introductory/beginning algebra texts.

I would suggest starting LOF after Singapore Primary 6 for anyone using the Singapore curriculum. LOF begins where NEM 1 begins (which is the next level of Singapore) and moves quickly into algebra (quadratic equations, linear inequalities, slopes, etc.). I would suggest adding the Home Companion for extra practice and ease of grading and planning.

I thought the Fractions and the Decimals and Percents books are the equivalent of pre-algebra. And the Beginning Algebra book is the equivalent of Algebra 1.

Kimberly

I think you are probably right. That is what is intended. I was just going by looking at the actual books I have been using with my oldest, and will be using with my youngest. It was basically my personal opinion. Sorry to confuse.:blush:

I compared those two as well and had the same findings. My dd just finished Horizons 5 and rather than start 6 we started Fred. But our sequence will be as follows--

Life of Fred Fractions

Life of Fred Decimals and Percents

Dolciani 60's pre-algebra books for 7th and 8th grade to prepare for the 60's algebra book.

Dolciani 1960's algebra 1

Fred Geometry

Dolciani 1960's algebra 2

continue with the 60's books

We are using LOF as our summer review books. My ds 8 is currently taking a "summer break" from Singapore 6A (he is about 25% through the workbook - but we need to backtrack a bit due to Mom's need for review of the Singapore word problem method :confused:) and is working in LOF Fractions. He finds it very easy, and fun, which is just what I wanted for summer review. I also have Decimals and Percents, and that looks like it will be review once he has finished Singapore 6B. This is our plan:

Aug - May '08 - Singapore 5A, 5B, bit of 6A (incl. IP, CWP), Challenge Math

Jun - Aug '08 - Review - Fun! - LOF Fractions

Aug - May '09 - Singapore 6A, 6B (incl. IP, CWP), Challenge Math

Jun - Aug '09 - Review - Fun! - LOF Decimals and Percents

...And then on to Algebra/ NEM... we'll figure THAT out next summer :001_unsure:

My older son, age 10, is a bit behind my younger in math. He completed Saxon 76 and Singapore 4B this year. He is also doing LOF Fractions this summer, but he is finding it more challenging. While the younger one is getting 0-1 wrong on all the "Bridges", the older is often having to go to Bridge #3 or #4 before he is able to move on to the next section. However, even though it is a bit more challenging for him than for his younger brother, he is also enjoying it.

I think LOF Fractions can be completed as "easy review" after finishing Singapore 5B, or as a more challenging review after finishing 4B, or as a fun supplement to 4A/4B.

I hope this helps!