Menu

(X-Post) How much outsourcing is *too much* for a kid who learns differently?

(Cross posted on the general forum, but I'd love the input from this board as well)

I tried to write a post with all of the details, but it was too complicated to try to explain.

Basically... my 8 yo DS learns and thinks in a completely different way than I do. The former classroom teacher in me assumed it was various learning disabilities, but extensive testing showed that is not the case (actually, the testing showed that he has numbers that would qualify him for the Davidson Young Scholars program, but that is not a path we have chosen to travel at this time).

When I try to explain something to him, I usually just end up confusing him. My wonderful DH (who thinks/learns similarly to this DS) often can "translate" things for me, but he is not home during school hours. Up to this point, my strategy has been to stay out of his way and let him learn on his own. This has worked... I suppose (his reading and math levels are great)... but he is spending less than 30 minutes per day on school work and I'm trying to figure out how to ramp things up for next school year.

He has enjoyed several fun co-op classes (newspaper, chess, etc) and I am considering a few online class options for him. When I look at my plans for him for next year, I will not actually be teaching him ANYTHING. I am conflicted about this. On one hand, it doesn't seem right that I am handing off ALL of his education to various other people. On the other hand, I don't feel like I can best teach him (and yet I am willing to hand this over to people I've never met???).

Please help me think this through! I don't have peace about my plans for next year for this kid, but I also can't really think of a better plan.

FYI: If I let this particular DS choose what to do, he would play Yugioh and Minecraft all day. He is not motivated enough at this stage to be a completely independent learner.

I have no problem whatsoever providing my dc with various teachers. Sometimes it's me. Some days it isn't. I am not the sole teacher but I am sole facilitator and manager of the madness. :)

I want my dc to have a variety of learning environments (home, out-of-home, online, computer-based, dvd, local tutor, public school classes, private, labs, etc.) I've never been a fan of 'pure' homeschooling for our family where all the teaching/learning takes place at home (based on what I've observed in my irl friends). We don't homeschool for religious reasons - although we make the Bible front & center. It's just who we are.

Our goal for our dc's education is rigorous academics with a strong emphasis on STEM and music. How this education is achieved may vary student by student, year by year.

My hybrid approach works beautifully here.

HTH!

I have no problem whatsoever providing my dc with various teachers. Sometimes it's me. Some days it isn't. I am not the sole teacher but I am sole facilitator and manager of the madness. :)

I want my dc to have a variety of learning environments (home, out-of-home, online, computer-based, dvd, local tutor, public school classes, private, labs, etc.) I've never been a fan of 'pure' homeschooling for our family where all the teaching/learning takes place at home (based on what I've observed in my irl friends). We don't homeschool for religious reasons - although we make the Bible front & center. It's just who we are.

Our goal for our dc's education is rigorous academics with a strong emphasis on STEM and music. How this education is achieved may vary student by student, year by year.

My hybrid approach works beautifully here.

HTH!

:iagree:I'm a strong believer in a community education, of which I am the facilitator. It probably helps that we are in an urban area, with tons of opportunities, but IMO, real world experiences are often better and certainly inspire more internal motivation than formal learning at home.

I'm not sure you can know without trying. We've outsourced a TON of classes, online or in person, and it's been great. Another kid might not have the same experience. It will depend on the kid, but also on the choice of classes.

One of the complications that could come up is that outside classes frequently have immovable deadlines... and too many of those (especially from teachers that won't be communicating with each other) can challenge even the best organizational skills.

Our first year with lots of outsourcing was "the year of staying up late to meet deadlines"... and the second was "the year of planning ahead". :) So while I don't think that there's really a maximum, I would start with a couple classes and work up slowly. I don't regret the lessons learned, but a little less of a "thrown in the deep end" approach might be more pleasant.

I don't see anything wrong with it-with one caveat. I've had a hard time finding academic classes that are correct for my DD's learning pace while not also putting demands on her that she's not ready for yet (like too much writing, or literature that's too emotionally intense), or where the explanations completely, utterly, and totally miss the boat (for my DD, it's often that they're answering the questions she knows, and not answering what she wants/NEEDS to know), or where the format is just plain wrong for her. You may find, especially with a child who scores high enough to qualify for DITD, that this is more the case than not, even in programs labeled for "gifted" students. Unfortunately, asychronity is the rule, not the exception sometimes.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I understand why it bothers you, but I would just think about it as you are still in charge of his education. If something doesn't work, you can find something else. Don't feel bad for doing what you think is best for your child. :)

I am in charge of DD11's education. I have been since we pulled her out of school at age 7. But I RARELY teach her anything. She just doesn't learn that way. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I have actually done any teaching with her (and most of it was this year with algebra word problems).

I am responsible for keeping track of her work and reviewing it with her. I will occasionally clarify instructions. We do things together like science projects that need two hands and I supervise the tricky stuff that involves flames or chemicals. :D

But DD11 mostly learns by reading the material herself. So we use mostly curriculum that is targeted to be done independently (all the lesson material is in the student book). All DD11 cares about is that we do it together in the same room - she works at her desk right next to mine or sprawls on the couch to read something.

So, yes, I think it's fine to outsource.