Menu

can someone critique my 10th grade plans??

I keep wanting to add more things -so could someone tell me when to stop!!!!LOL

*Geometry--TT

*chemistry- Red Wagon

*Literature/comp. course-Potter school

*Government-possibly AP-haven't decided yet on this but will use the Hillsdale course constitution 101

*French 2 -Potters

*Bible

*Logic-since we haven't done anything yet, i am going to do the Art of Argument and then the next book after that as well

*Guitar she spends a lot of time on this

*SAT prep

*phy ed-which will be swim team (5 days/week and meets)

*Co-op on fridays which will be choir and some elective

I wanted to add Latin but would that be too much??Just need some thoughts as I really don't want to overload her-she has to finish driver's ed too!!!

thanks for any thoughts/advice!

pam

I am still unsure about my 10th grade son's course of study next year, because new opportunities keep appearing! I think your plan looks good.

You mentioned Latin, and I noticed that your child is taking a couple classes with Potter's. I will tell you that my son had HS Latin I this year with Potter's School as a 9th grader. There were no prerequisites for the class and my son had never taken Latin. The pace was quite frustrating for someone who had never been exposed to the language. Yet, even my son's friend (who is brilliant) had Latin for several years before enrolling in this class, and he was receiving F's on some of his tests late in the year. The instructor recommends 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours five days a week for study in addition to the class, and this time is needed once you get a few weeks into the course. I have no idea if you are considering Potter's for Latin, but I wanted to give you our take on it.

I have a dd going into 10th and was wondering what you are going to use for Bible. Here's dd's line up so far.

Geometry-TT

Biology-Apologia and co-op every other week for labs

History-Biblioplan Year 2

Geography-Biblioplan Year 2 and Trail Guide to World Geography

English-World Lit and Comp for the year and still putting together the list: The Elegant Essay, The Chortling Bard, CLE English 1 (1/2), Vocabulary??, Literature guides but still looking; may use Write Guide services some, too.

Health-AO Lifepacs

Spanish 1-Spanish for Mastery 1 in a local class (started Spanish this year, but couldn't really do it without help because I don't have time or a desire to learn it, too)

Bible-don't know yet but looking at Positive Action for Christ

Life Skills-don't know curriculum yet

Chorus and Cotillion at a local Christian school

this was dd's 10th grade this year:

math: Saxon algebra 2

science: BJU chemistry

language arts: AG High School Reinforcements, Brit Lit, Vocab for SAT, SWI-C, grammar review (can't remember name of the book)

history: World

health: Total Health (only 1/2 of book, will do next half next year)

Spanish 1

Drivers Ed

*French 2 -Potters

*Bible

*Logic-since we haven't done anything yet, i am going to do the Art of Argument and then the next book after that as well

*Guitar she spends a lot of time on this

*SAT prep

*phy ed-which will be swim team (5 days/week and meets)

*Co-op on fridays which will be choir and some elective

I wanted to add Latin

Pam, after the "basic 4" credits, that is a lot of electives! I don't really count the SAT prep, and maybe not the guitar, but there are still 6 electives I think. I hope some of them are only a semester's worth!

Julie

Thanks so much for the replies!! Julie, you are right that is a lot of electives and I think i need to rethink that. As far as the bible, right now, our church is doing a church wide challenge of reading through the bible in a year. My daughter is keeping up with the daily readings, and attending the church sermons that are geared towards that week's reading. I LOVE it and we are working through the bible together-wow - what a difference it has made for me to know that stories in the bible and really UNDERSTAND the bible. Our church is really great!!

thanks again everyone! i really appreciate it!

pam

I also think it seems pretty heavy. Could you at least drop the logic course?

You have your standard 4 - English, history, math, and science. Then you also have Bible, Logic, guitar, swim team, and it looks like there will be two more electives at co-op.

I understand that the Bible you are doing is something from your church, so that might not even really be part of school, but it is still going to take time.

I know that my dd spends hours on her guitar every day and it isn't unheard of for her to spend upwards of 3 hours between her two guitars and her banjo. You need to take that time into consideration also, especially since it sounds like it's her passion like it is with my dd.

Swim team means hours of practice every week and swim meets on the weekend. That may work out just fine and if it's a passion, then you need to try to make it happen, but if she's just doing it to get yet another credit, you may want to drop it for another time.

I would definitely recommend waiting on logic for another time when she's not stretched as far. Anything you do at co-op should have no homework because she's not likely to have time for it with everything else she is doing.

Pam,

I would suggest that you sit down with your child and a blank planner page. Schedule a week. Include school work, chores, drive time, activities, personal time, (sleeping *giggle*), and everything you can think of.

How does it look? Do-able or back to the drawing table?

Sometimes actually planning the week is the quickest way to get out of the clouds and back down to the earth.

AND sometimes, the week plan feels great. Just enough challenge without being overwhelming.

The little schedule blocks don't lie. They tell my team when we're done developing our plan.

Peace,

Janice