Menu

Low carb? Paleo? Wheat Belly?

I ran across "Wheat Belly" on audible.com which brought me to amazon where I downloaded a free chapter to my kindle which lead me to "Living Low Carb", "The New Atkins for a New You" and on and on and on !:confused: My head is spinning!

How do I wade through all these books? I've gained about 15 lbs over the past 2 years and I don't know what to do. Do I cut out wheat as in Wheat Belly? Go low carb? High protein AND low carb? Where do I start? I don't have food allergies or any major health issues. I AM tired all the time, but blood work for the doc says everything is fine. I'm 48 and realize that is part of it, but ...

What to do and where to start? I am eating better and exercising but it's not helping.

I think if you want to go low carb, then you need to go high protein. Your body needs fuel to run, and it doesn't run well on low carb AND low protein.

We eat a paleo diet, and are so pleased with how we all feel. DH has lost 25 lbs since January, and I've lost 13 lbs. DS has had a radical change in behavior (for the better). We haven't seen so many changes in DD, but the changes in the rest of us have been significant enough that we won't go back to a SAD. DH no longer needs to take prilosec daily. I'm no longer constantly constipated (sorry TMI). DS is much more compliant, less angry and calmer in general. We started by doing a Whole 30, and once that was over, just relaxed into a Paleo approach.

It sounds like for you it would be best to go simple. Choose one and stick with it... don't read every.single.book on the subject. That would cause information overload... especially in the beginning when you just learning.

Wheat Belly is a great book btw, a very good eye opener.

I also found that forums related to the diet (Atkins or Paleo or whatever) was also VERY helpful.

I think if you want to go low carb, then you need to go high protein. Your body needs fuel to run, and it doesn't run well on low carb AND low protein.

We eat a paleo diet, and are so pleased with how we all feel. DH has lost 25 lbs since January, and I've lost 13 lbs. DS has had a radical change in behavior (for the better). We haven't seen so many changes in DD, but the changes in the rest of us have been significant enough that we won't go back to a SAD. DH no longer needs to take prilosec daily. I'm no longer constantly constipated (sorry TMI). DS is much more compliant, less angry and calmer in general. We started by doing a Whole 30, and once that was over, just relaxed into a Paleo approach.

Wow! That's encouraging! Thanks for sharing.

I was hoping to do no wheat and high protein because I think low carb would be difficult. I'll check out your link.

It sounds like for you it would be best to go simple. Choose one and stick with it... don't read every.single.book on the subject. That would cause information overload... especially in the beginning when you just learning.

Boy, you aren't kidding!

Wheat Belly is a great book btw, a very good eye opener.

Good, I just ordered it from Amazon.

I also found that forums related to the diet (Atkins or Paleo or whatever) was also VERY helpful.

:iagree:

Yeah, don't try to read everything out there. I've gone Paleo/Primal and I'm very happy with it and have been reading more stuff now, but I'd pick something and start with it.

I'm not sure what no wheat/high protein/high carb would look like, though.

I started by going grain free. I didn't do anything else, but I ended up low carb anyhow, because once you get rid of the grains it's hard to eat a ton of carbs unless you're gorging on fruit or potatoes. I didn't count anything though, just didn't eat any grains. I started losing weight and feeling AWESOME within a week. I eat a lot of vegetables and a fair amount of good quality eggs and meat. Some dairy. Fruit as a treat or for dessert.

Yeah, don't try to read everything out there. I've gone Paleo/Primal and I'm very happy with it and have been reading more stuff now, but I'd pick something and start with it.

I'm not sure what no wheat/high protein/high carb would look like, though. LOL I didn't mean high protein and high carb!

I started by going grain free. I didn't do anything else, but I ended up low carb anyhow, because once you get rid of the grains it's hard to eat a ton of carbs unless you're gorging on fruit or potatoes. I didn't count anything though, just didn't eat any grains. I started losing weight and feeling AWESOME within a week. I eat a lot of vegetables and a fair amount of good quality eggs and meat. Some dairy. Fruit as a treat or for dessert.

I think I'm aiming for what you did, just stop eating grains but don't worry too much about the carbs in fruit and potatoes and such. Plus bump up the protein.

I think I'm aiming for what you did, just stop eating grains but don't worry too much about the carbs in fruit and potatoes and such. Plus bump up the protein.

That could work then. As long as you don't eat a ton of fruit or potatoes, you will still end up in what most people would consider the "low carb" category though. Up the protein and up the good fats also - the fat will help you feel full faster and absorb more nutrients and the protein will keep you going.

A new study recently came out that showed that two days of very low carb eating and the rest of the week just eating healthy resulted in more weight loss than a 1500 calorie per day diet. On the low carb days, women needed to keep between 30 and 50 carbs. Since you've just got a little weight to lose, you might want to try that. That's pretty sustainable without switching your whole life around.

Also, if you're trying to lose weight, make sure you're getting enough sleep. Insomnia and lack of a good 7-8 hours messes with the hormones and results in weight gain. It's not what people think about first, but it's really important!

Here's one article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45587821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/cutting-carbs-just-days-week-can-spur-weight-loss/

Edited by Laurie4b

No grains, no legumes, no sugar, no processed food. I have had some occasional cheese, but not a lot. So, I am not "no dairy," but pretty "low dairy." The first week was brutal. Probably because it was the week before I started my period, so NOT an ideal time to cut out sugar and carbs. :lol:

I have lost about four or five pounds. My weight was really fine, so weight loss was not a goal for me. I am definitely less bloated.

I am really glad I have gone this route. I have not forced it on my family... I just either add in a starch for them or adapt. Tonight we had homemade spaghetti sauce (made with grass-fed beef). I served dh and ds's over spaghetti noodles and had mine over spaghetti squash. I made paleo Caesar salad dressing and, after tossing with the Romaine and some Parmesan, I pulled out my portion and tossed the rest with croutons. I also gave them garlic cheese bread. It is doable. I feel fantastic. I am sleeping better and have more energy for my work-outs as well.

You can read a TON at http://www.marksdailyapple.com Probaby TOO much to read, but at least it is free and doesn't take up shelf space.

HTH

No grains, no legumes, no sugar, no processed food. I have had some occasional cheese, but not a lot. So, I am not "no dairy," but pretty "low dairy." The first week was brutal. Probably because it was the week before I started my period, so NOT an ideal time to cut out sugar and carbs. :lol:

I have lost about four or five pounds. My weight was really fine, so weight loss was not a goal for me. I am definitely less bloated.

I am really glad I have gone this route. I have not forced it on my family... I just either add in a starch for them or adapt. Tonight we had homemade spaghetti sauce (made with grass-fed beef). I served dh and ds's over spaghetti noodles and had mine over spaghetti squash. I made paleo Caesar salad dressing and, after tossing with the Romaine and some Parmesan, I pulled out my portion and tossed the rest with croutons. I also gave them garlic cheese bread. It is doable. I feel fantastic. I am sleeping better and have more energy for my work-outs as well.

You can read a TON at http://www.marksdailyapple.com Probaby TOO much to read, but at least it is free and doesn't take up shelf space.

HTH

I just read a little more about Paleo and I don't think it's for me. I still want dairy, legumes and at least a little sugar.

You have more willpower than I!

A new study recently came out that showed that two days of very low carb eating and the rest of the week just eating healthy resulted in more weight loss than a 1500 calorie per day diet. On the low carb days, women needed to keep between 30 and 50 carbs. Since you've just got a little weight to lose, you might want to try that. That's pretty sustainable without switching your whole life around.

Also, if you're trying to lose weight, make sure you're getting enough sleep. Insomnia and lack of a good 7-8 hours messes with the hormones and results in weight gain. It's not what people think about first, but it's really important!

Here's one article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45587821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/cutting-carbs-just-days-week-can-spur-weight-loss/

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I agree about sleep! I had insomnia and took sleeping pills for a year and gained a lot of weight. As soon as I stopped taking them and was able to sleep I lost the weight. I've been sleeping well, so I don't know where THIS weight is from.

I HAVE lost 3 pounds this week just from not eating wheat. I hope it's not a fluke. :001_smile:

Check out MarksdaIlyapple.com. His Primal approach is more lenient than paleo - allows dairy and a little natural sugars like honey and maple syrup.

Wow! It's going to take me days to read all that. Good site, though, lots of info.

Thank you for posting this!!! I had not heard of this. This sounds a lot more doable. I need to aim for low-carb (I am genetically programmed to have blood sugar issues eventually; long story) but my willpower is weak. Not that I overeat carbs, but it's hard to reduce them significantly day in, day out.

(This is off-topic, but if anyone's supplementing with cinnamon capsules, which ones are you using, Ceylon or Cassia, and are you seeing results?)