Menu

Breakfast ideas?

Hoping y'all can come up with some ideas for me for breakfasts. I need things that are shelf-stable, filling but not heavy, high protein and semi-high carb. I have access to water but nothing else - no fridge or microwave. And no pork or pork products, no peanut either.

Any ideas? My normal breakfast right now is 3 links of turkey sausage nuked with 4 slices of toast. Sometimes I have a protein shake instead of the toast.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably nothing you haven't already thought of...grits, oatmeal (throw ins of dried fruit), other types of nut butters (if other nuts aren't a problem). I'm not precisely sure what type of kitchen situation you have, but if I had nothing but a cooking source and water, I would probably buy dehydrated eggs and cook them, making egg sandwiches.

Also, depending on the circumstances, i wouldn't be totally invested in the food being breakfast items.

How do you do the sausage without a microwave or a fridge? Or is this a change?

I do the sausage with a microwave, but normally I eat breakfast around 9-10 am. But Ramadan is coming in a month which is why I need breakfast ideas. I'll be eating around 5am and I don't want to wake the family if possible. My mom sleeps in the living room {she has to sleep in a recliner} so anything in the kitchen is out - I would wake her. She already has trouble sleeping so I don't want to wake her.

How shelf-stable? What are the circumstances here? Is this for at home or work? If it is for work, how long are you there before you eat breakfast?

It needs to be able to hold from around 11pm until around 5am. I might have a small lunch bag with a cold pack, but that's it. It needs to be very nutritious and enough to hold me until about 8pm at night. Bonus if it is high water content as well.

I might be able to use my little bullet blender to make protein shakes, but I'm not sure if it's too noisy or not.

Would hard boiled eggs or egg salad work? What about hummus in lettuce, or a giant salad with veggies, cheese and/ or olives? Avocado mashed, with nice bread? A pre made pot of soup you can warm in small portions? Cream cheese with toast or whole grain bagels. Tuna? Bread, fruit, cheese? Scrambled eggs? Leftovers from dinner? Couscous with veggies and fish etc.?

Edited by LibraryLover

I guessif this was me? And this was the only meal that I was getting for the day? Then, I would not be married to breakfast ideas. I think salads with quinoa, hummus, olives, avocados, cheese, things high in fat and calories would be the things that would help tide you over the best.

I guessif this was me? And this was the only meal that I was getting for the day? Then, I would not be married to breakfast ideas. I think salads with quinoa, hummus, olives, avocados, cheese, things high in fat and calories would be the things that would help tide you over the best.

:iagree:

I think putting hard boiled eggs, cheese, and hummus in a lunch bag with a freezer pack would be a good idea.

Sis, is this your first Ramadan? For some reason I'm thinking that it is. Anyway, not trying to be patronising if it isn't, but........

I wouldn't worry too much about 'breakfast'. Eat a bit of bread, maybe a sandwich, and then fill up on dates. Seriously, the barakah in the dates will make the fast go by much easier than anything else. I like the caramelly ones, but dh likes the squishy ones! And you need a really big jug of water - actually I think this is more important than the food.

Last Ramadan I kept the sandwich, dates and water by my bed so I didn't have to go fussing in the kitchen at suhoor time - it worked out great. also meant I had more time for salah.

Do you have a crockpot? You could use a mini crockpot to throw something on at night and it would be warm/ready to go in the morning. Baked potatoes. The steel cut oats cooked with some apples. A quiche type dish maybe with eggs, ham, cheese... ?