Menu

BPA in canned foods??

How did I not know about this until yesterday??? Here I am happily eating tinned tuna, having got rid of all our questionable plastics, and I'm still exposing us all to BPA. It seems like the stuff is everywhere.

Please, help me calm down and give me some good advice, point me to some sound research etc etc. I don't know how much I need to change our diets to be honest - we eat mostly freash food, I make most things from scratch. But I use lots fo tinned tomatoes, some tinned fish (tuna, sardines) and occasionally some sweetcorn or baked beans in a tin.

Any BTDT advice?

Acidic thins like tomatoes, and for some reason chicken soup, supposedly have the most BPA in them. That being said, our family cut out canned foods of all kinds just to be safe.

My understanding is that there is no BPA in asceptic boxes like chicken stock sometimes comes in, and there is only BPA in the lids of things in glass jars. So I feel fine with these and just discard any food that is stuck to the lid when I use jars.

For tomatoes... we started buying jarred pasta sauce rather than making our own from canned tomatoes, and we use Pomi brand tomatoes in asceptic boxes when we must use tomatoes from the pantry. We can get the Pomi tomatoes at our grocery stores in the natural food section, but they are expensive. I am planning to make some home canned tomatoes this summer with my sister. Last year we froze some tomatoes from our garden that tasted great in things.

North Bay Trading Company sells nice dry soup mixes that aren't quite instant, but they are low-fuss. (They take a couple of hours to cook, but to me they are still a convenience food because you just dump it in the pot with some water or stock.)

Beans freeze well, so sometimes I make a bunch ahead. Otherwise I can cook them up in 90 minutes with this no-soak recipe.

Hope that helps... we don't use tuna or sardines, but you might check if the bags tuna is sometimes sold in have BPA....

Eden Organic sells a variety of beans in BPA free cans--I buy them through Amazon with their subscribe and save option. I have heard that Trader Joe's meat products are in BPA free cans--if you have a store nearby check with them. Google BPA free cans and you will find some other options. We have a local grocery store that sells Pomi tomatoes http://www.amazon.com/Pomi-Chopped-Tomatoes-26-46-Ounce/dp/B0005ZVOR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337689813&sr=8-1.

Other things in tetra packs should be fine.

I don't know that canned tuna would be high in BPA, but recently it has been shown to be higher in mercury than previously thought. I avoid it for that reason.

It's true, sorry. I buy only Eden Organic beans and Bionaturae tomatoes in a glass jar, pasta sauce also in a glass jar. Tetra packs are ok, too. We don't eat a lot of canned food. DH loves tuna so I buy it for him, but don't give it to the kids. The only thing I give the kids that's canned and I can't find in a BPA-free can is olives because they like them as a pizza topping.

I buy Wild Planet Wild Skipjack Tuna that comes in a BPA-free can. It is also very low in mercury. I get it through Amazon Subscribe & Save, so the price is reasonable, though clearly more than what I'd pay in a store.

I do still occasionally use canned tomatoes, but try to get them in BPA-free can when possible. Sometimes it's just not feasible, but I hope that the occasionally exposure is tempered by reducing exposure elsewhere, yk?

I recently found this out too. I replaced my tinned food with home canned food. I bought or grew organic food and canned it myself. I bought dried beans and canned those so they are ready to go. I made my own soups, broth, canned chicken. I haven't done tuna but we don't eat that very often.

I saw a youtube video where these college students sunk soda cans in a bath of some chemical. It ate away the metal and left a clear plastic liner. I had no idea that was even in there.

It's crazy, isn't it?

It's why I can tomatoes. I never seem to can enough, but it's why I put myself through that. (it's HOT, let me tell you)

Otherwise, we don't use anything in cans.

For those who can their own, do you use BPA-free lids? I know that regular canning lids are also lined with BPA. Less exposure than from a whole can, obviously, but if we are trying to avoid the stuff it seems worth looking into BPA-free lids like Tattler. I have never canned but am hoping to learn in the next few years and am considering investing in these when I do.

How did I not know about this until yesterday??? Here I am happily eating tinned tuna, having got rid of all our questionable plastics, and I'm still exposing us all to BPA. It seems like the stuff is everywhere.

Please, help me calm down and give me some good advice, point me to some sound research etc etc. I don't know how much I need to change our diets to be honest - we eat mostly freash food, I make most things from scratch. But I use lots fo tinned tomatoes, some tinned fish (tuna, sardines) and occasionally some sweetcorn or baked beans in a tin.

Any BTDT advice?

First - deep breath. The past cannot be changed, but you can look forward toward the future.

Second - the BPA exposure from canned foods is higher than that from plastic water bottles and such, so it is worth it IMO to avoid it as much as possible.

Third - many more companies are using BPA-free canned packaging now which makes this easier. BUT - be aware that it will cost you more $$ in the grocery budget.

I use Pomi boxed tomatoes in place of canned - you can buy them online or at many grocery stores.

Here is a link to some more info:

http://www.ewg.org/node/20936

Specific brand recommendations for common foods:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-your-canned-foods-safe-to-eat-a-bpa-free-buying-guide/

If you cannot find them in your local store, check http://www.amazon.com and http://www.vitacost.com where I buy a lot of our bpa-free canned goods. The only item I cannot find BPA-canned free is olives, so what I do is rinse them VERY well in a colander after opening them.

I am very curious what they replace the BPA with as well, as they need a crosslinker for the protective coatings to cure properly and have the right properties.

That canned tuna is loaded with mercury anyway, so you don't want to eat that, OP. :tongue_smilie: