Menu

California History again - how does this look

Chris in CA

Again I will be doing this over the next 9 weeks, and I'm trying to make it not feel like school (sneaky mom grin).

Spine - Our California History (couldn't find His California Story : (

Audio in car this summer - Island of Blue Dolphins & Zia

Readers:

Blue Willow The Stout Hearted Seven, Carlota, Sallie Fox and whatever else I can find :)

I'll download a CA state notebooking set

We'll be making the SJC Mission from Michaels

and visiting the mission and various other field trips

I choose the books above based on what was available at out library, with the exception of Our California History

Thanks for all who helped in the other thread

Does this look okay?

[quote name=Chris in CA;329946

Spine - Our California History (couldn't find His California Story : (

Audio in car this summer - Island of Blue Dolphins & Zia

Readers:

Blue Willow The Stout Hearted Seven' date=' Carlota, Sallie Fox and whatever else I can find :)

Thanks for all who helped in the other thread

Does this look okay?[/color][/color][/size][/font]

Want some more cool books?

"The Velvet Room" by Zilpha Keatly Snyder IIRC this is set during the Dust Bowl, in southern CA. DD liked it much more than Blue Willow (both are good, IMO, though.)

"Ishi in 2 Worlds" or "Ishi, Last of His Tribe"

"California Blue" is contemporary. It is about the environmentalists vs. the economic interests in a small logging town. Not as polemical as you might think, although it definately has an environmentalist leaning.

"Patty Reed's Doll"--about the Donner Party

These are books that I would not want to miss, and I would expect that they would all be in the library.

Thanks for the list. They've read Patty Reed's Doll. I put a hold on the Velvet Room, because Blue Willow seemed a bit young for dds so we might substitute for this one. About Ishi; I took a look at Ishi:two worlds and I wasn't sure about it, but Ishi, last of his tribe looks a bit better, especially for my younger dd.

Thanks

Since I got my CA history books out to look through for you, I thought to myself, well, why not? I guess we could go through Our Golden California over the summer, too. We just finished reading the first chapter. My girls groaned, but afterward they said they liked it. I'm just going to read it to them and ask the review questions orally. At least I won't have state history hanging over my head anymore. I'll have to find something else to be rebellious about.

Oh, and this isn't the only thing you've influenced me in....your avatar has made me realize that I need to dust off my P&P DVDs. I miss Mr. Darcy.

:D

Is this the one your looking for?

http://www.cameron-publishing.com/index_files/page0005.htm

His California Story

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

CHEA used to publish Lesha's books, but no more. And I knew she had written some others (did some more proofreading for her), but since I moved from California I haven't stayed in touch with her. I'm so pleased to see that she's publishing her own books and has her own site.

Looks good! I'm going to be pulling together our plan for it this week - we'll start next Monday.

There are a few library books I got that look great -

California by Ann Heinrichs

A few DVD's (haven't viewed them yet) - Discoveries...American CALIFORNIA and U.S. Geography for Children - California by Schlessinger Media.

Pioneer California - Tales of Explorers, Indians and Settlers by Margaret Roberts (this is the main book used in the 6 week unit we're using)

The California Goldrush by Landmark Books

HTH

If you need a fun Gold Rush book, By the Great Horn Spoon is excellent. The San Diego Mission is impressive. The SJC Mission has beautiful gardens, living history days (I think it's the 2nd Saturday of the month?) and great tour guides, so you'll have an excellent day there.

We live in Orange and we've never done CA history, but I've always thought a "Living history" approach would be fun and possible- touring missions, Gold Country, Yosemite....but with gas costing what it does, we will postpone that for now......

HTH!