Menu

teaching Greek to grammar stage student

My VSL (visual spatial learner) has done well starting with Biblical Greek 4 Kids, followed by CAP's Greek Alphabet Code Cracker just for fun; we have moved on to Elementary Greek, and are going through it s l o w l y, using the flashcards to do games and lots of oral review. Oddly enough, it the most boring one of the lot (EG) that has given him the best retention/understanding. I think having LESS to focus on helps him focus on the content better. He is the same way with math, too.:)

He also loves CAP's Headventureland site for fun.

Depending on the child, CAP's Song School Greek might be worth looking into, followed by Greek for Children. *I* prefer EG to Greek for Children, I think EG's teaching is clearer, and I like EG's pacing and progression through the material better. Greek for Children has a nice sample on the website, so you can see if it would work for you. I have also found CAP's customer service to very helpful with questions by phone or email.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

My VSL did not do well with Hey Andrew. I moved him to Athenaze about 6 weeks ago because that is the book I was using for my oldest. We are going through slowly and using mnemonic strategies to remember vocabulary (i.e. put leg up to mouth to remember that leggay means to speak). He does well learning when interacting with me rather than a workbook. He does have reading strengths so I think Athenaze will work for him.

My dd13 isn't a VSL, but if having less on a page is helpful, then Elementary Greek is worth a look. She is starting Year Three and has done it almost completely independently. I think part of it is that she just loves language and seems to have a knack for it, but a big part is also that it's very straightforward in its layout and style. It doesn't try to be *fun,* IYKWIM. It's very basic, but it has worked beautifully for her. Just yesterday we were at a museum exhibit which had some very old Greek Bibles and she was easily able to read some of what she saw, to her great delight.

She first learned the Greek alphabet through the Classical Academic Press Greek Alph. Code Cracker, which is more visually stimulating than EG and lots of fun, too.

Depending on the child, CAP's Song School Greek might be worth looking into, followed by Greek for Children. *I* prefer EG to Greek for Children, I think EG's teaching is clearer, and I like EG's pacing and progression through the material better. Greek for Children has a nice sample on the website, so you can see if it would work for you. I have also found CAP's customer service to very helpful with questions by phone or email.

we have SSL and i haven't been too terribly impressed with retention, so if it's anything like SSL, i don't think SSG would be a good fit for us. DS did SSL in 1st, PL in 2nd and LCI in 3rd. DD just finished SSL. she doesn't seem to have any higher retention than he did; and they have very different learning styles.

*i* think SSL {and i'm assuming SSG} are really cleverly done -- i would have LOVED them as a child. :tongue_smilie:

so DS9 could work through the CAP greek code cracker then start in EG?

how long does it take to work through the CAP greek code cracker?

maybe i could have my DD7 work through biblical greek 4 kids while DS9 works through the greek code crackers. then they could begin with EG together?? i noticed a few of the reviews on amazon mention some mistakes in the TM. have you found this to be the case?

DS9 wants to start french too .... that will be his formal language study this year, i've decided. i'm decided what i want to use from the french....

i was just thinking of having a little greek thrown in since we're taking a year off from formal latin study {we are finishing LCI} and having a "roots" year using EGFRU {and we'll continue it in the future}. i don't want him to veer too far from the classic languages for too long. he loves linguistics.

:bigear:

does one need the audio cds, flashcards, wkbk, *and* txtbk for EG? what's bare bones necessary?

I have the workbook, textbook, and audio CDs. I don't use flashcards for any subject. If you know Greek, or can pronounce the words, then I suppose you don't need the CD, but Ian's voice is soothing and beautiful. :D

I bought SSG, and I don't see how this program would work for someone without any Greek background. Now that Dd has been studying Greek for about 6 months, we have been using SSG, and enjoying it. Before that we used Greek Code Cracker to learn the alphabet.

I'm not sure what VSLs can use, but EG is plain, to the point, colorless, and just what suits Dd and me. She loves Greek, and it's one of the best purchases I made last year, but I did look through online samples of many other programs and read through reviews here.

I have the workbook, textbook, and audio CDs. I don't use flashcards for any subject. If you know Greek, or can pronounce the words, then I suppose you don't need the CD, but Ian's voice is soothing and beautiful. :D

I'm not sure what VSLs can use, but EG is plain, to the point, colorless, and just what suits Dd and me. She loves Greek, and it's one of the best purchases I made last year, but I did look through online samples of many other programs and read through reviews here.

:iagree:My dd makes her own flashcards on index cards so she can quiz herself, but we've never bought them. The text and workbooks are necessary, because the textbook does the teaching and the workbook provides the practice. The workbook is nice and plain, too, with large-ish print (which my aging eyes appreciate!) and lots of white space. I really like the CDs but dd doesn't, so she doesn't use them anymore. Once you've learned the phonics it's easy to figure out the words, but, as the above poster said, the voice is.....calming. This is one of the curriculums I've been most satisfied with in 11 years of homeschooling.

We use the EG flashcards a lot. I try to do about 20 cards a day to keep the word knowledge sharp. They are really nice cards with one curved edge so they are super easy to use. The print is clear and legible which is a plus with the Greek, obviously it looks just like the textbook. We buy the whole program but you could use just the book. Exercises and answers are given there.

Greek for Children has a DVD that goes with it. It has an instructor going over each lesson like he would with a class. My DS had a hard time with it until we got the DVD and now he is progressing well and retaining it. The Greek Code Cracker could easily be finished in less than a month.