Menu

so I attempted to make gluten-free bread....

Apparently I did something wrong. :glare: I started the yeast going and it appeared to be fine. I'm not an expert bread maker by any means, but it was all foamy on the top when I went to add it to the flours so it couldn't be the yeast, right? I didn't overwork the dough, as noted in the recipe and I had it in a warm room with a warm, damp cloth over the bowl.

I know nothing about making gluten-free bread so I wasn't sure what to expect the dough to look like, but it just looked like a "lump" of flour mixed together, if that makes sense. It looked very dry, too. I knew it wouldn't have the "stretchiness" with it being gluten-free, but what should it have looked like?

The dough never "doubled in size" like the recipe said it was suppose to do either.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what went wrong? If it matters, I ground my own brown rice flour and garbanzo flour in my Vitamix.

Are you working from a proven recipe?

Generally gluten-free breads don't need to be 'worked' or kneaded. The act of kneading works the gluten strands creating structure.

Because gluten-free breads lack the binding created by gluten they need a lot of some kind of binding ingredient (egg, arrowroot, etc.) to make it work. Otherwise it will be really crumbly.

I've never tried using yeast in a non-gluten bread (just baking powder for a quick bread) so I can't comment on that.

You can't really take a bread recipe using wheat flour and just sub gluten-free flour in. It takes a different ratio of ingredients to make it work.

I'm a long time bread baker, turned GF baker over the past year or so. Here are some tips I've gleaned/worked out:

As stated before, GF baked goods have some kind of added stretchy component - xanthan gum, guar gum, egg whites.

GF dough is more like loose cookie dough than bread dough. It also gets looser the more it's mixed. When I make baguettes, I am smearing the dough into the pan in a loaf shape. You will often see recipes that instruct you to pipe the dough. That's because it's like buttercream when it's done mixing.

You almost can't overwork GF batters and doughs, except maybe beating air into them. Overworking dough with gluten makes it tough. Since there's no gluten, well... I thoroughly mix my biscuits with no I'll results.

Yeast is not an issue. I make lovely breadsticks, pizza, and baguettes with plenty of rise.

Does the recipe use xantham gum? This is the holy grail of gluten free baking. I can give you a recipe if you want to try it again.

Yes, the recipe called for xantham gum (that stuff ain't cheap! :glare:). It also had brown rice flour, garbanzo flour, amaranth flour and tapioca flour.

I'd love the recipe! I have a couple of friends that are gluten free and I want to be able to make some foods for them. Thanks!

Are you working from a proven recipe?

Generally gluten-free breads don't need to be 'worked' or kneaded. The act of kneading works the gluten strands creating structure.

Because gluten-free breads lack the binding created by gluten they need a lot of some kind of binding ingredient (egg, arrowroot, etc.) to make it work. Otherwise it will be really crumbly.

I've never tried using yeast in a non-gluten bread (just baking powder for a quick bread) so I can't comment on that.

You can't really take a bread recipe using wheat flour and just sub gluten-free flour in. It takes a different ratio of ingredients to make it work.

I don't know if it's a proven recipe. I just saw it online and the person who posted it had a nice picture to go along with her recipe so I figured it HAD to work. :lol:

If your dough looked dry, that's a big problem. As a PP said, GF bread dough is like cookie dough, not regular bread dough. You can't add in more flour to make it look like regular dough.

I've had good luck making rolls from this recipe. NOT low in fat, however! DS and I gobble them up on the rare occasions that I make them. Sooo good!

If your dough looked dry, that's a big problem. As a PP said, GF bread dough is like cookie dough, not regular bread dough. You can't add in more flour to make it look like regular dough.

I've had good luck making rolls from this recipe. NOT low in fat, however! DS and I gobble them up on the rare occasions that I make them. Sooo good!

Thanks! I'll pass this recipe on to my one friend. The other one and I don't do dairy or eggs so maybe I can figure out how to substitute them, once I get the whole GF baking down pat. :lol:

Gluten-free bread dough is usually more like cake batter, it *can't* be kneaded. Also, there's no need for a second rising. When you say you didn't overwork it, what exactly did you do to it? If you have a recipe for a GF bread that can be kneaded, I want to know! I miss kneading dough!! :bigear:

I have a couple of friends that are gluten free and I want to be able to make some foods for them. Thanks!

You are such a thoughtful friend! I do want to mention that if your friends are GF because they have celiac disease, they could have reactions from any wooden utensils, stoneware, or any other porous utensil/container that you use when baking gluten (whether it is bread or anything else). If you use butter in your recipe, don't use any that could have toast crumbs. Parchment paper is your BFF when baking GF!!! :D

If my bread falls in the middle...it is because of too much yeast...

I also have to add a few teaspoons extra of flour because of the humidity here...no clue why...but it works.

I use my breadmaker so I have no clue about kneeding. I know mine does kneed but Im not sure how long. I use Xanthum gum...I found a red box that has them in little packs that works for me right now. So you dont have to use them all right away.

I use equal parts of Potato Starch, cornstarch and Tapioca. My kids prefer a little more Potato Starch as they dont care too much for Tapioca flavor. I use Sorghum, and Millet Flour. Sometimes I throw in Buckwheat as well.

I read you have to make sure eggs and milk are at room temp. I am terrible about this and trying hard to follow now!!

I wisk my liquids till bubbly then add the dry ingredients. When mine is done mixing it is like regular dough...very sticky and smooth. It always rises up double.

Gluten-free bread dough is usually more like cake batter, it *can't* be kneaded. Also, there's no need for a second rising. When you say you didn't overwork it, what exactly did you do to it? If you have a recipe for a GF bread that can be kneaded, I want to know! I miss kneading dough!! :bigear:

This recipe had me make a well in the middle and add the EVOO and yeast. Then it said to mix the dry ingredients in and after it was all incorporated to use my hands to completely mix it all together, but don't "overwork it."

I think this is going to prove a bit more difficult than I originally thought. :lol:

You are such a thoughtful friend! I do want to mention that if your friends are GF because they have celiac disease, they could have reactions from any wooden utensils, stoneware, or any other porous utensil/container that you use when baking gluten (whether it is bread or anything else). If you use butter in your recipe, don't use any that could have toast crumbs. Parchment paper is your BFF when baking GF!!! :D

Oh goodness! Thanks for letting me know!! I used a wooden spoon to mix everything, but I did use parchment paper on a cookie sheet to bake it. Not that it mattered because it wasn't edible anyway. :lol: