Menu

A Beka Math will be the death of me... HELP

Ok, I had originally planned for my 1st grader (next year) to use A Beka Arithmetic 1, just like her big sister..... but she's not like her sister. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's going to be a COMPLETE disaster. I need ideas for a new math curriculum (and I thought I was all set for next year :banghead:) Here are some things I feel like will work with her wiggle-worm personality.

* spiral

* not all rote memory but I love the fact families that A Beka used

* manipulatives but not based solely on using them.

* able to use with a math notebook or journal. We have had fun making math notes and our own games and flash cards together

* Not very expensive

* Easy to use with a living math day once a week

* Although I'm notebooking and using living math, I also need a workbook (but I won't do all three in one day. I won't even do two in one day).

I don't mind using something free like MEP Math or Lesson Pathways but I still need a workbook. I'm pretty flexible ..... any suggestions?

Could you use the table of contents in the Abeka book as a guide and just pick out free worksheets that you think your child would like on whatever topic the table of contents lists as the 'next thing' ? You can find a ton of free worksheets on the internet. You could three hole punch them and put them in a binder to make it like a workbook.

Could you use the table of contents in the Abeka book as a guide and just pick out free worksheets that you think your child would like on whatever topic the table of contents lists as the 'next thing' ? You can find a ton of free worksheets on the internet. You could three hole punch them and put them in a binder to make it like a workbook.

I thought about that and I don't really want to go through the trouble of FINDING the worksheets that I need but if I can't find anything that's compatible I may resort to that.

CLE Math 100? or 200?

McRuffy Math?

Mathmammoth?

We use CLE. I have a squirrel too and he does just fine with it. We don't do every single problem in the review section because we often do more than one lesson in a day with block scheduling. And I add in xtramath.org for drill.

I put Mcruffy math & Mathmammoth in this post because it might fit what you are looking for. ;)

• 1 month later...