Menu

Preparing for childbirth

So I'm due in a few months with baby #7, and I'm not exactly fit. I'm not hugely unhealthy, but before I got pregnant I fell about a pound into the overweight for my height category, then I developed hypothyroid problems and gained 15+ pounds in the first trimester. Getting on medicine has helped that slow down, but I'm large and ungainly and I've never been an exerciser.

However, I've been realizing that I'm really out of shape. So much so that carrying my own weight and walking around for long is exhausting. I need to get ready to have this baby, but what, if anything can I do now?

I gained loads of weight and didn't exercise this last pregnancy, either, so I'm not the best to respond! Even doing household chores caused pelvic pain. I decided that pregnancy, though, was not the best time to "tough it out" because I knew my joints were all loose. I rested a lot. I did take walks with the family around 37 weeks and on because I wanted baby to come quickly! One non-weight-related thing I did do to prepare was drink red raspberry leaf tea daily to tone the uterus. My labor and delivery went fine, though postpartum recovery has been slower. I'm 9wks pp now and am finally feeling ready to exercise again! (I tried a few weeks ago but started spotting again...too soon!) Sorry I couldn't be more help!

One of the best things I did at that stage in my pg was to go for a gentle 1 mile walk every day. It only took about 20 mins and I always felt so much better when I was done. I noticed a quick improvement in my cardio conditioning as well. When I started I was panting but that went away quickly. I loved telling dh to clean up after dinner because I needed the time to go for my walk. :D

Oh, and I loved pre-natal yoga. I'll be your library has some DVDs, and I know that Hulu has at least one free pre-natal yoga episode. I'll bet you can find a good DVD on Amazon.

My local fitness club offered a pre/postnatal aquatics class that you didn't have to be a member of the club to attend (they charged a reasonable monthly fee). The class was such a big help with stretching and gentle exercise, since you could do it at the speed/energy level you were comfortable with. Super low impact, too. Perhaps check your area for something like that? I also appreciated it since it connected me with a small group of women who were pregnant. Several of us had due dates within a month of each other and our instructor created a Facebook group for class information and birth announcements.

Erica in OR

I really loved doing pregnancy yoga. This DVD was my favorite. You can follow the lady in your third trimester for a super gentle workout (regardless of what trimester you're in.) :) It might even be on Netflix, so check.

Swimming and water aerobics might work well at this point too. Check your local Y for a schedule. Sometimes they list them as senior classes, but go anyways. There are even teens in my class.

Walking is great...just be sure to bring water and stay hydrated.

And although it sounds hokey, try affirmations. Telling yourself that you're out-of-shape, etc. won't help. Try, "I'm healthy and fit and have tons of energy."

If you can find a way to exercise, do it. Listen to your body--it will tell you what is good for you and what isn't. With my second I started jogging when I was 6 months pregnant and was amazed at how much better it made me feel. That hasn't been possible or felt right with all of them, but if you have access to a gym eliptical machines are more gentle and can work well--or, my sister swears by swimming. Even just getting out and walking every morning or evening (I think that's what I need to do). The research on exercise, even intense exercise, in pregnancy is mostly positive--it makes you feel better and leads to fewer pregnancy and birth complications. Just listen to your body to know what is right.

If you can do so without significant pain or any injury, I would definitely suggest walking. Perhaps you could do a five minute walk several times a day for a few weeks. Walk around your block once or twice for 5-10 minutes first thing in the morning, then again after lunch, then again in the evening with your dh. After a week or two, you could likely increase the walk time by a few more minutes, working up to as much as you can handle without lasting discomfort or any pain.

I'd suggest the kegels and walking as well. I would just try to go out and walk some every day, if you do it daily it should become easier. I generally am an exerciser but wasn't in as good as shape starting this pregnancy and that is what I am doing. Walking is our family activity, everyone loves it and begs for it, so it was high time I got us back into the groove. I also like to make sure I'm practicing squatting as well, you can start by just doing a few a day when you need to bend over for something squat down instead, gradually increasing the amount of times you squat versus bending.

If you can find a way to exercise, do it. Listen to your body--it will tell you what is good for you and what isn't. With my second I started jogging when I was 6 months pregnant and was amazed at how much better it made me feel. That hasn't been possible or felt right with all of them, but if you have access to a gym eliptical machines are more gentle and can work well--or, my sister swears by swimming. Even just getting out and walking every morning or evening (I think that's what I need to do). The research on exercise, even intense exercise, in pregnancy is mostly positive--it makes you feel better and leads to fewer pregnancy and birth complications. Just listen to your body to know what is right.

Very interesting. I've never ran in pregnancy although I generally continue exercising fairly intensely but have never felt the desire to run hardly, even if not pregnant. I certainly agree with you though the research that I've seen is positive as long as you listen to your body you should be fine (permitting any obviously dangerous activities). My ds keeps wanting to race me (as generally I do a few sprints with him when we walk) but it hasn't sounded like something I've wanted to do. As I said though I'm still trying to get back in the habit of walking, for a good while we would walk 1-3 hrs every day and then we got out of the habit, so pregnancy is a good impetus to start back to it.

I find for myself even if I'm out of the habit after just a few days of starting back up I feel more in shape. As pp said I have these kooky affirmations I guess. If you are consistent it doesn't take much for the body to respond. You might also want to start looking at your diet and sleep patterns as well as those play a huge role in energy and mood and you may be able to tweak both of those to help as well.

Edited by soror

Guest Flooreyoga

Prenatal Yoga encourages healthy attitudes, utilizing easy exercises, and comfortable positions to accommodate a growing baby. In a prenatal yoga class relaxation and breath awareness to prepare for childbirth is a cornerstone. At a more subtle level, the baby is welcomed into the world and the mother is prepared for the rigors of motherhood.

I would do kegel exercises and swimming is always a good way to exercise without injuring yourself. I am also expecting baby #7 and was almost in the "overweight" category when we found out baby was coming. I am trying to get my "out-of-shape" self as in-shape as possible before the end of the year. Swimming is one of my favorite things to do since it seems to take all the pressure off of my joints, and you can really get a good workout! Wishing you the best and hoping for a safe and healthy delivery for both mom and baby. :001_smile: