Menu

Lego curriculum or Lego camp manuals?

mom2Hh

I would love to start a Lego engineering group in my area for homeschoolers. I've heard of a Lego camp at Play-well (not sure if that is a specialty toy-store or what it is- there is one in CT near my brother in law). It sounds really good but they don't seem to sell their curriculum.

Does anyone know of a place to buy (or download for free!) good Lego curriculum based on engineering or science (physics) for age 7+? oh- and not sure I can afford those pkg's marketed for schools that are over $100 for each segment. perhaps a basic school pkg could be purchased by a small group of homeschoolers though and divided up and then each child brings his lego pieces to the group each time?

Have you heard of the Lego Club for Homeschoolers? Here is the link. You can read all about them on the website. It's free, and they are very organized. It's a live webcast that your child watches and builds along with the instructor. They send you the supply list ahead of time, so that you can get all of your legos together. They meet every Monday live, but you can view the recording at a later date as well. Hope this Helps!

http://www.currclick.com/product/43644/Lego-Club-for-Homeschoolers?it=1

Heather

Have you heard of the Lego Club for Homeschoolers? Here is the link. You can read all about them on the website. It's free, and they are very organized. It's a live webcast that your child watches and builds along with the instructor. They send you the supply list ahead of time, so that you can get all of your legos together. They meet every Monday live, but you can view the recording at a later date as well. Hope this Helps!

Heather

Can you clarify more of what kinds of projects they build during this time? Are the projects motorized or not? Do you need specialty parts?

It sounds intriguing, but since we do a lot of Lego activities, I'm just not sure if it would be doubling up on something we already do.

boys are doing net and picking designs from the lego book. i like this idea but am also wondering about the complexity of the projects and want to make sure its not too simple. do they have a contact # or pic of projects? can you access them after next week?

Heather

Thanks for the ideas. As for the Lego club at currclick.com please let me know if you can describe what they do. I didn't find a lot of info about that on the website. I'm looking for building functional lego things- using the gears and some technic pieces. Possibly using engineering design principles or science physics concepts.

Heather

Heather, do you know if the Legos and other materials are easy-to-find? We can obtain basic Lego sets here, but that is about it.

We do the Lego Club, and it is really pretty basic stuff - they did a Lego volcano (she shows video clips of volcanos, gives volcano vocabulary, walks the kids through the build, they erupt it in the sink w/vinegar and baking soda); they did an exercise where she described her build and the kids had to imitate and then reveal at the end (the goal was listening skills and also how it's difficult to follow if someone describes something differently than you do - technical writing for kindy, I call it); they've done a Lego pyramid and talked about ancient Egypt; they did some 4-leaf clovers for March; stuff like that.

None of it is mechanized in any way, and it's a fairly simple (but still very enjoyable for my 6yo) class (that is FREE). It does NOT sound like what you are looking for, though I do recommend it for the younger kiddos.

I'm interested in this subject, too, as I think my 6yo is approaching the age where he might be able to start out with simple mechanical things.