Menu

I'm thinking of going on a high protein, low carb diet, but I need some help.

Since red meat is getting SO COSTLY, I have cut it back to once/twice a week (and been using ground turkey in it's place).

The problem is, I need to change a lot of eating habits. I think I'm addicted to carbs and I get shaky if I don't have enough protein.

If I do have a carb addiction, is it ok just to cut the majority of carbs out of my diet, cold turkey?

Also, how can I up my lean protein intake?

I also need to up my fruits/veggies. But, what do I do when I really dis-like many veggies? I'll eat green beans, peas, carrots (raw, not cooked), corn (that's not an actual veggie, though, is it?) and that's about my extent.

The LAST thing I plan on cutting out is creamer in my coffee. It's like my life line;).

One thing at a time, yes, but when I look at EVERYTHING, I get over whelmed!

**We don't have a lot of money to spend on food every month. We normally spend around $600 for our family of 7, which includes 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.** Just to give you more info!

Edited by mama2cntrykids

For breakfast, I eat eggs/omelets or sauteed zucchini slices topped with whatever soft goat cheese has been on sale. And often half coffee, half milk, with liquid Stevia for sweetener. Sometimes I make a casserole with cheese, eggs, and mashed cooked cauliflower, and that's a nice change from straight eggs. I generally feel really good on that breakfast.

We have salad many nights for dinner, plus a green vegetable, and a main dish, usually meat of some type, occasionally a bean or egg/cheese based dish. Sometimes sweet potatoes, and mashed cauliflower makes a decent sub for mashed potatoes.

For lunch and snacks, it's usually cheese, nuts, smoothies, fruit, fresh veggies. Cottage cheese packs a lot of protein too, and if we have salad left from the previous night, I'll eat that too.

Since red meat is getting SO COSTLY, I have cut it back to once/twice a week (and been using ground turkey in it's place).

The problem is, I need to change a lot of eating habits. I think I'm addicted to carbs and I get shaky if I don't have enough protein.

If I do have a carb addiction, is it ok just to cut the majority of carbs out of my diet, cold turkey?

Also, how can I up my lean protein intake?

I also need to up my fruits/veggies. But, what do I do when I really dis-like many veggies? I'll eat green beans, peas, carrots (raw, not cooked), corn (that's not an actual veggie, though, is it?) and that's about my extent.

The LAST thing I plan on cutting out is creamer in my coffee. It's like my life line;).

One thing at a time, yes, but when I look at EVERYTHING, I get over whelmed!

**We don't have a lot of money to spend on food every month. We normally spend around $600 for our family of 7, which includes 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.** Just to give you more info!

Fish. Aldi sells fish like Tilapia & white fish. A very good source of protein.

Do you like salads of any kind? Make that ahead for the week so you don't have to think about it when you're hungry.

Peanuts are a great snack. Just a 1/3rd cup and you're good. If you can buy the pre-packed salted peanuts from Sam's club then you can carry your snack with you in your pocket until you need it. :)

Eggs are good cheap protein, and can be cooked so many ways! Heavy cream has no carbs and goes well in coffee.

If you do have a carb addiction, cutting the majority of carbs out of your diet may be the only way to kick it. I did not have any success with a moderation approach, the cravings were too strong. Be forewarned, many do find that they get the "atkins flu" around day 3. You feel like yuck for a day or so while your body makes the switch. After that you feel better.

After you've been low-carb for a few weeks, start trying out lots of different veggie recipes. Even ones you didn't like before. Your tastes may change.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-100%25/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337044733&sr=8-1

it mixes into juice, milk, etc. I mix it into water and drink it after my workouts, and later if I need more protein, too. It is NOT thick or gross - 25 grams protein and 100 calories. Safe for lactose-intolerant folks, too (I asked the company)

Makes a good, reliable alternative to more costly animal proteins. I get it in bulk to save $$$

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-100%25/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337044733&sr=8-1

it mixes into juice, milk, etc. I mix it into water and drink it after my workouts, and later if I need more protein, too. It is NOT thick or gross - 25 grams protein and 100 calories. Safe for lactose-intolerant folks, too (I asked the company)

Makes a good, reliable alternative to more costly animal proteins. I get it in bulk to save $$$

Also, whey protein is safer for women before menopause than soy protein, which is what many protein powders are made from.

As for veggies, add stuff to them. Cheese sauce, chopped nuts, dried fruits, etc. And try different seasonings. My kids LOVE green beans since I started sautéing them with olive oil and garlic pepper. We're working on Brussels sprouts now. :D