Menu

Pinkeye help please

How long must a child be on antibiotics before it is safe for her to share a plate of food with other children (such as her siblings)? Diseases spread fast here so we are trying to be extra careful.

Also, this particular child has an orthodontic appointment scheduled in a few days. By that point she will have been on antibiotics for five days. Would it be safe for her to go to that appointment? I'm just concerned about how the doctor will be leaning over her face.

TIA.

When my kids had pinkeye, we were told by the doctor that after 24 hours on antibiotic they were no longer contagious and could even go swimming -- hope that helps!:001_smile:

(They were on the antibiotic eye drops.)

this is how my entire family caught pinkeye. The other child had been on abx drops for a couple days,.....but we got it anyway! GAH!

If it's truly bacterial conjunctivitis she will be fine after 24 hours. However, the vast majority of pinkeye is viral, and not bacterial (though many doctors prescribe an antibiotic anyway, for peace of mind I guess????).

The doctor told us that she was fairly certain that it was bacterial, but not 100% sure.

Edited by SuperDad
Got a little enthusiastic with the "0" button

If it's truly bacterial conjunctivitis she will be fine after 24 hours. However, the vast majority of pinkeye is viral, and not bacterial (though many doctors prescribe an antibiotic anyway, for peace of mind I guess????).

:iagree:This one! I would be very cautious as long as she has it.