Menu

Nature study in Central Florida?

Anyone have any resources or ideas for doing nature Study in Florida? I've tried the Handbook of Nature Study and looked at lots of other sites and such, but we just don't have much of that stuff here. We go walk a trail at a local park, but it's always the same stuff.

TIA!

I found a really cool Guide to Florida Wildlife book at a local museum. I'll have to try and it so I can link it up for you. But maybe you can check a museum's gift shop near you. They are normally stocked with local goodies.

I would be interested as well. We are in the Florida Keys and have lots of parks to rotate through, but it would be nice to have a Guide to Florida Wildlife already set up for you. The Florida's Fabulous Birds, Reptiles, etc. have been great, and we also use the Audubon Florida guide.

We certainly have a boat load of lovebugs right now. You could easily do a summer insect study...beetles, butterflies, grasshoppers, flies, etc. The Florida's Fabulous series as mentioned by a pp is fabulous. :)

If you can make it to Sanibel Island then you can have enough shells for hours of identification. Head to an area with alligators or go bird-watching. Or come to Gainesville and I will give you a personal tour of our Natural History Museum. ;)

We certainly have a boat load of lovebugs right now. You could easily do a summer insect study...beetles, butterflies, grasshoppers, flies, etc. The Florida's Fabulous series as mentioned by a pp is fabulous. :)

If you can make it to Sanibel Island then you can have enough shells for hours of identification. Head to an area with alligators or go bird-watching. Or come to Gainesville and I will give you a personal tour of our Natural History Museum. ;)

We have several of the FF books already, what would be the best way to use them? And we're going camping at Sanibel in 2 weeks! We already have a boatload of shells, though because I went there every single summer until college. :)

Get a good Florida field guide. I am up in Jacksonville/North Florida area and teach nature study for our co-op. We meet at a church that is surrounded by pine flat woods (seems boring at first glance). We constantly have opportunities for nature.

Here were our spring topics:

1. Carolina Jessamine

Gallberry

2. Duck:

Hooded Merganser

3. Trees:

Baldcypress

Sweetgum

4. Epiphytes:

Deer Moss

Ball Moss

Spanish Moss

5. Reptiles:

Gopher Turtle

Florida Softshell Turtle

6. Dragonflies

Blue Darner

Common Green Darner

7. Sword Ferns

Let me know if you are interested in our fall study. We had a FL theme for that semester and studied our state tree and other state nature symbols. You'll start to see more nature opportunities as you begin studying it. In Florida even the ditches are usually full of cattails, wildflowers, etc. And you shouldn't have a shortage of insects or spiders!

You tube has been great too. We have enjoyed Green Deane's Eat the Weeds series. I think he is out past Live Oak somewhere. My co-teacher made jam out of American Beautyberry (fall study) for our class. It was a hit! HTH!

Get a good Florida field guide. I am up in Jacksonville/North Florida area and teach nature study for our co-op. We meet at a church that is surrounded by pine flat woods (seems boring at first glance). We constantly have opportunities for nature.

Here were our spring topics:

1. Carolina Jessamine

Gallberry

2. Duck:

Hooded Merganser

3. Trees:

Baldcypress

Sweetgum

4. Epiphytes:

Deer Moss

Ball Moss

Spanish Moss

5. Reptiles:

Gopher Turtle

Florida Softshell Turtle

6. Dragonflies

Blue Darner

Common Green Darner

7. Sword Ferns

Let me know if you are interested in our fall study. We had a FL theme for that semester and studied our state tree and other state nature symbols. You'll start to see more nature opportunities as you begin studying it. In Florida even the ditches are usually full of cattails, wildflowers, etc. And you shouldn't have a shortage of insects or spiders!

You tube has been great too. We have enjoyed Green Deane's Eat the Weeds series. I think he is out past Live Oak somewhere. My co-teacher made jam out of American Beautyberry (fall study) for our class. It was a hit! HTH!

really?!?! my kids LOVE finding beautyberries! i would love to see your fall study. thanks!

FL-themed fall study:

1. PLANT: Palms

1.) Sabal Palmetto

“Cabbage Palmâ€

2.) Dwarf Palmetto

3.) Saw Palmetto

2. Lizard:

1.) Green Anole

2.) Florida Scrub Lizard

3.) Southeastern Five-lined Skink

3. TREE: Oaks

1.) Live Oak