Menu

Recommendation for a good World History spine for 7th grade

Hi, I am new to posting here (but have lurked for a long time) and I am looking for World History suggestions for my 7th grade dd. I have been using Sonlight for history for the past two years doing Cores 3 and 4. Sonlight's Alt 7 core uses Hillyers Child's History of the World. Any reviews on this text here? I just am not organized enough to do the KHE outline method recommended in TWTM, I need some kind of guidance.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

Amy

I have decided to uses Trisms History Makers, but there are several World History programs that I've looked at. Abeka has a 7th grade world history text: "History of the World in Christian Perspective." The Rainbow Resource catalog has two programs for middle school that look interesting. One is called "History of Our World." The other is called "Global History and Geography: The Growth of Civilizations." Both of these are secular. I was thinking of getting one of these to supplement "History Makers," but I've spent so much already!

As you are already familiar with how Sonlight works you might want to stick with it. Honestly, Core 6 and 7 look better than Alt7, though - it is hard to cram all that history into one school year! And I like the History Encyclopedia and SOTW more than I liked Hillyers.....I thought it was good reading but it moves too fast for my personal taste.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to get a copy of A Child's History of the World and read it yourself. Then you would be able to judge whether it would work well for your family.

Thank you for all your replies. I should have said that I am looking for a one year world history course and then I will do one year of american history before I send dd to a small catholic high school (at least that's the plan right now). I prefer secular materials. I will look at all the suggestions made, I looked at the program in the Rainbow Resource catalog called History of our World that a pp mentioned but it didn't say anything about the publisher or writer of this text so I'm not sure about it.

Anyway thanks so much for answering, I really appreciate it:)

I'll throw in another option. Ds used K12 Human Odyssey by John Cribb and I like the text. If my girls use this text again, I would probably add some of the Sonlight Core 6 readers with The Human Odyssey as a spine text. For this year, ds is going to use K12 iCademy (with teacher support) Intermediate World History B and I want to add some of the Core 7 readers and readalouds.

I have been wanting to use Sonlight for history and I hope to be able to do it with ds this year.

I don't know if it would be easy to find them used, but we REALLY enjoyed K12's Human Odyssey part A and B. Although the online course is one of the best courses offered by K12 (imo:D), I think you could do ok with just the text. The problem is most people don't wish to sell their texts!

Susan

you might consider Spielvogel's World History: A Human Odyssey. I have a 1999 version, but it's very good. Some on these boards use it as a substitute for Spielvogel's Western Civilization. We've used it for these past two years in conjunction with Omnibus I and Omnibus II. Actually, both girls could read Western Civilization well, but overall it seemed like the World History was a better fit for my middle daughter, who was in 7th grade a year ago.

Here are the ISBN's, if you're interested:

World History: A Human Odyssey - 0-538-42329-3

Study Guide: 0-314-22496-3

You can probably find these used through Amazon or through addall.com or possibly e-campus.com.

HTH!

I had wondered about this text, I had read about it here on the boards and wondered if it would be too much for her. Her reading level is very high. Would you be able to do it all in one year, or would it need to be stretched out over a couple? Thanks for the suggestion.

Amy

We will be using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey over two years and 7th and 8th grade. My son reads well and since been through world history once I figure it shouldn't be too difficult for him.

There are 34 chapters in HO so you could do one chapter per week or so and make it through the book in a year.