Menu

I've decided to do a year long study on the orchestra, the ballet, and the opera...

helena

I'd love to here any ideas you might have to make this fun.

A while ago I posted this about wanting to do a year long study on opera: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361007&highlight=opera (Very helpful and I've been reading the suggested books).

I've decided to break up our 36 weeks of school into 12 week studies of the orchestra, ballet, and opera.

Do you think that's a good order to teach it in? Would you add anything to it?

Do you have any favorite resources that could work for an 11 and 13 yo? I'd like to go to events, read books, listen to CDs, and watch DVDs.

The girls are at a funny age, they don't want anything baby-ish or grow-up. :001_smile:

:bigear:

I was planning in doing this for our music study this year. I got some good ideas from charlottemasonhelps. The order you're planning on is the order she schedules it.

I love that website! I didn't even think to look there. It makes me feel a little better knowing she scheduled it in the same order. :001_smile:

Thanks!

I don't think this will be much help, but I just read an interesting book about the history of ballet. It is called "Apollo's Angels". I am not sure that young people would find it very interesting, but I sure did.

Thanks for the recommendation, I put the audio book on hold. I'd like to spend the summer familiarizing myself with all of this (I mean, beyond the fact that I LOVE the ballet :tongue_smilie:).

I put together a unit study on ballet that I am using with my 8 year old, second grader. I know that it is far below your age group, but it might give you some ideas or jumping off points.

Ballet Unit Study

I focused on the history of ballet, the clothing, Tchaikovsky, Degas (art), one week each on The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and The Sleeping Beauty, and the last week studying the lives of Anna Pavlova and Maria Tallchief.

I think it sounds like an awesome year. :001_smile:

I'd love to here any ideas you might have to make this fun.

A while ago I posted this about wanting to do a year long study on opera: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361007&highlight=opera (Very helpful and I've been reading the suggested books).

I've decided to break up our 36 weeks of school into 12 week studies of the orchestra, ballet, and opera.

Do you think that's a good order to teach it in? Would you add anything to it?

Do you have any favorite resources that could work for an 11 and 13 yo? I'd like to go to events, read books, listen to CDs, and watch DVDs.

The girls are at a funny age, they don't want anything baby-ish or grow-up. :001_smile:

:bigear:

Have you checked with your local orchestra, ballet, and opera? Here, they have great educational resources incorporated into many of their shows, or even separate "educational" opportunities. I say the best way to learn is by going to the source :)

We read through Story of the Orchestra last year when my kids were 10, 12, and 13. I liked the way it was set up and the background it gave about all of the instruments. It comes with a CD where you can hear snippets of longer works. The pictures are cartoonish (or maybe comic book style is a better description) but I didn't feel that the verbiage was babyish. You can look inside the book at this Amazon link to get a feel for it or your library might have a copy of it. The School Library Journal lists it for grades 4-8.