Menu

Deciding our future (long)

Dh will finish his contract with his current job next year. We are fortunate enough that we really get our pick of jobs after this. We want to settle down and pick a place to stay for the rest of our lives. We’ve been looking around at different options, and don’t know what to do.

There are a few things we want out of our future community and dh’s future job. After visiting the most promising-looking locations we’ve run into some tough choices.

There are three that have really caught our eyes. All three pay about the same.

Job #1 – The job couldn’t be better. The company was very open out their business practices (showing him real numbers, rather than vague ballpark type numbers, or avoiding talking about it). The company is a well-oiled machine. Dh could do everything he wants to do, and has the option to be a partner in a year. BUT the community is meh. It’s not bad – it’s just not what we’re really looking for.

Job #2 – The community couldn’t be better! We both fell in love with the people, the town, the scenery, and everything else. Dh hit it off with his future co-workers really well. This would be the PERFECT place to raise our family and put down roots. BUT the company, which was privately owned, is being bought out. Dh would not have the option of being a partner, and wouldn’t get to be his own boss, which is important to him. The company doing the buying seems fine, and we will be heavily investigating them further. If it wasn’t for this snag, dh and I would choose this place in a heartbeat.

Job #3 – On the surface this place seems a perfect fit. On our list of what we wanted in a job and community – everything was checked off. The community was great; the company is privately owned, with the optional partnership buy-in after a year. I hit it off pretty well with a couple of people there. BUT dh said he gets a “funny vibe†from the partners of the company. They were a little reluctant to talk numbers – saying that seemed a little personal. (I understand not wanting to discuss how much money you make, but for a possible future partner, this seemed odd). They seemed pretty concerned with just keeping the status quo. They don’t want to attract attention, and dh is concerned that they might consider some of what he wants to do as attracting attention. Though I did like the community, I still liked community #2 slightly better.

We still have a couple of places to see. And we are going to pray about this. But honestly, I’m just having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. I don’t even know how to start making a decision this big. I don't know what I expect to get from writing all this down. Maybe someone out there has the answer to all our questions (hahaha).

Thanks.

I guess sitting on it is really all we can do right now and see what happens. I just wish making this choice was easier. oh well.

And sorry to get you curious, but I don't think I'm going to be any more specific on the internet. ;)

I would eliminate #3 and focus on #2 or #1. I'd trust your DH's instincts and negative feelings.

Could you investigate the community more for #1, and see if there aren't some hidden gems you didn't see on first impression?

No job is going to be perfect, and no community is perfect either. The answer is going to lie in which has higher priority - the ability for your DH to become partner or the community.

I would pray seriously about it, and seek counsel if that's possible from someone you trust with whom you could lay out all the details. We have sought counsel from several people older and wiser than ourselves when DH & I have been contemplating similarly big decisions.