Menu

SAT subject test scores for those who took the test in early June have been posted...

My daughter took the SAT (we will see about some SAT2s in the fall) and I was up at 5am getting the scores - I couldn't sleep! Can you tell that she is my oldest?

I am sitting here trying to decide of I should post her scores - is it tacky? The truth is that none of my RL friends will really get why I am proud of her but still planning to have her take it again.....my sister is the only one who will *get it* and I can't call her till this evening!

S0 - someone assure me that it is not tacky because I feel like I am going to burst!

Unless, of course, it is tacky, in which case I may call some RL friends who will be happy to listen to me, even if they think I am a little nuts on the subject.

Oh boy - now I feel like I made it sound like she did amazingly well....while I think that she just did well, kwim?

Writing: 780 - 11 out of 12 on the essay - we were both excited even though we know that many colleges don't pay attention to this score.

Reading: 760 - she was disappointed and wants to see if she can improve her score {I think that she was sort of hoping to ace this portion}, but I am very pleased!

Math: 540 - Math is her weakness. I bought the Chalkdust SAT Math program which she can start in a few weeks. Hopefully, she can bring her grade up when she takes it again in the fall!

1300 is high enough to put her in the running for a few full scholarships at 2 of the schools we are looking at. The admissions people at her top choice have told us that even though she would be eligible to apply for the Honors program she wants (which involves a full scholarship) with a 1200, they are *really* looking for a 1400. So, she is motivated to bring up that score!

Anyway - thanks for letting me share!

He got a 650 math, 630 critical reading and a 570 writing, with an 8 on the essay. We were really sweating the cr part and the essay. His PSAT CR was only 500, it has always been a real challenge for him, so we are very pleased. His is with in the zone for all his school choices, a little low on the cr for the "reach" school, but still within the 50% range and in the top 25% for his safety.

We're going to get Rocket Rev if its available and probably Chalkdusts SAT material and start to practice a bit for October. He mostly just did practice SATs for this one, so we'll try some more prep oriented material for the next one.

Congrats to your daughter Liza....those scores are not "just did well"!!!!! they are wonderful!

Got to dash!

Sharon, I love that your son has such a good balance in his scores - it shows that he is well-rounded, I think. And what a great improvement in the reading since he took the PSAT!!!

I am afraid that my daughter's scores will make colleges wonder at the discrepancy between her math grades (nearly all As) and her math score.. She does all right in math when she can take her time and work things out - the timed test is just a killer :glare:

My son thought he'd done *awfully* on the SAT subject tests he took ... World History and U.S. History. He thought they were much harder than the multiple choice on the AP exams. This morning I got a call from him (he's out of town at a 5-week Governor's Scholars Program) asking me to check his scores and he even gave me his TOP-SECRET password :) Turns out he got an 800 in World History and 770 in U.S. History. His reaction to the World History score: "But I guessed half of them!!! .... Are you sure you're not kidding???" :lol: Needless to say, I'm sure he had a pretty good rest of the day today :)

My 14 yo took the subject test for Biology, and I posted here while he was taking the test that I was totally second guessing my decision for him to take the test this year (non-science kid, never taken any test outside the home, can't make a bad score disappear, and very erratic performance on practice tests).

Well, we breathed a big sigh of relief this morning because he scored 740. I know that's not top o' the heap, but for a freshman taking a test that many AP bio students take (he just did regular bio with Prentice-Hall's Miller/Levine Biology), I am very pleased. Actually, his 6 practice tests ranged between 600 and 700. When he came out of the test, he said he thought it was easier than the prep, and I guess he was right.

My thanks to everyone who calmed me down on test day! I'm so glad ds has a positive first testing experience to build upon.

Peace,

Maura

Congratulations to all the kids represented here! Maur, I am thrilled to hear the your son did so well on the Bio test. My ds scored 730 on the Chem test -we are very happy. I have no idea how that score compares to others or what constitutes a great score in Chem, but we think it is pretty good! Hopefully all tests will be as positive for all our kids!

Blessings,

April

I don't think it will be a big issue for her. Many kids have one that is a good bit higher than the other. We were worried about it the other way around! :lol: But, you will probably be able to boost it on a second try as well. You can help her to concentrate her efforts toward the math since she already blew the other part out of the water!

I was sort of in the opposite boat when I took the old SAT back in the dark ages....my math grades stunk, but my SAT was pretty decent, 620....go figure!