Menu

Well hellooooo there, Half Price Books!

I live under a rock, in the armpit of the world. I kid you not. I've posted about it.... However, DH works in some pretty cool areas, and we are visiting him for the summer in one such place (Chicago.) I hit HPB today....OMG! How have I NOT been in one of these before?! I spent $50.... and left with three bulging to the top bags of books (and a $10 Pokemon Sorry boardgame :glare:.... note to self: leave kids at home next time.) I think 5 of the books were $1, the rest were 50 cents! Of course, being the cheapskate that I am, I only shopped the clearance section of resale book store........ ha ha!

I found some books for school, a few for some series that the kids are reading, and some totally *twaddle* books for me. RL Stine Fear Street, I used to read those all the time as a kid. Since they were so cheap, I picked up several to re-read. I figure DD may like them at some point, I'm sure that'll get my 2 quarters out of the books ;) OTOH, DH almost had a cow when he saw our bed covered with books. He keeps saying "You know this lease will be up at some point, right? You know we will have to MOVE this stuff, RIGHT?" It sort of makes me wonder if he's planning to have to leave quickly, with no notice, in the middle of the night :001_huh:

So, anyway, I really need to figure this out. I combed the clearance section over really well. Do they have a method to their clearancing madness? Do they mark down certain days of the week, or is it best to check bi-weekly? Once a month? I don't want to miss any good books :drool5:

I do know that each store is a bit different based on the books purchased at that store. Makes it worthwhile to visit one in a different part of the city.
:iagree:

I live in a large city with dozens of HPB stores. Several times a year, I plan trips to the far sides of the city as each store has a very different selection. One location - an older store in a rundown shopping center - is near a college and has the best art books. Another location has a great selection of vintage books and Shakespeare. Yet another has awesome children's books. I have managed to find several $$$ out-of-print books for super cheap at this location. They obviously don't check the value of children's books. :D

Get on their email list too. They send out coupons and let you know about sales. I got a "new" (it hadn't been read but it was previously owned) boxed set of American Girl doll books for 1/4 of it's original price thanks to a coupon.

I buy many of our kid books at a thrift store. If they are duplicates or the kids outgrow them, I have been able to sell them at half price books for about $.20 each. Which might not seem like much, but that's about what I paid for them in the first place.

Love HPB. I think I've been in every single one south of Round Rock, TX and one in Irving. I'm discovering the ones in San Antonio now. I have a special fondness for the one in Corpus Christi. It has a coffee shop in it. It's been 8 years since I've been there, but we're planning a trip for the fall.

I have no idea how HPB plans its clearance section. But I love the pricing -- more affordable than Goodwill or Value Village!

Of the multiple HPB stores in our area, the one in the section of town with very few kids has the biggest and best kids' book selection.