Menu

Summer Reading: Fun books for accelerated reader

ErinE

I'm looking for fun summer reading for Ds9. Ideally, I'm looking for young adult level without adult themes. He has read the following:

• Underland series
  • Artemis Fowl series
  • 39 Clues series
  • Percy Jackson series
  • Eragon series
  • Guardians of Gahool series
  • Harry Potter series
  • Starcatcher series
  • The Dark is Rising series
  • The Chronicles of Prydain series
  • Sherlock Holmes (Oxford Classics)
  • How To Train Your Dragon series
  • City of Ember series

He likes fantasy, but branches out to historical and general fiction. I'd like to introduce him to some sci-fi, though I'm not as familiar with YA or appropriate adult sci-fi. I'd like to the books to be of good size (200+ pages), but literary value isn't absolutely critical. He has assigned classics awaiting him when we start up the new history study.

So far, I've found the following:

• The Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Rangers Apprentice, and Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan
  • Beyonders by Brandon Mull
  • The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
  • Books by Margaret Peterson Haddix?

I know nothing about these authors or books, so any insight or feedback would be invaluable. It doesn't have to be a series.

Please, no vampires; they skeeve me out and I don't want to listen to stories about them all summer.

If you know of any good YA authors, I'd love a list. Ds tends to consume an author's backlist like it's chocolate cake with ice cream and sprinkles on top. He needs a long list of books and authors to keep him entertained.

Edited by ErinE
Clarify title

I don't know anything about the books you listed, but he might like the Redwall series, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, the Green Knowe series, The Mysterious Benedict Society (I think it has sequels), Rosemary Sutcliff's books - The Eagle of the Ninth and it's sequels among others, or books by Geraldine McCaughrean.

For fun summer reading, Gordon Korman and Louis Sachar (especially Holes) are great. Eric Walters and Gary Paulsen are favorites around here too.

My boys don't read a lot of Sci-fi, but they really liked The Shadow Children series and The Missing series, both by Margaret Peterson Haddix. The Giver, by Lois Lowry, might interest him as well.

I don't know anything about the books you listed, but he might like the Redwall series, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, the Green Knowe series, The Mysterious Benedict Society (I think it has sequels), Rosemary Sutcliff's books - The Eagle of the Ninth and it's sequels among others, or books by Geraldine McCaughrean.

I have Rosemary Sutcliff waiting for the next Ancient history study, but I'll check out The Green Knowe series and The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Good list! What about...

Redwall/Brian Jacques books

Tunnels series

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card (great introduction to science fiction)

Thanks! Can you tell me more about the Tunnels series? Who's the author?

For fun summer reading, Gordon Korman and Louis Sachar (especially Holes) are great. Eric Walters and Gary Paulsen are favorites around here too.

My boys don't read a lot of Sci-fi, but they really liked The Shadow Children series and The Missing series, both by Margaret Peterson Haddix. The Giver, by Lois Lowry, might interest him as well.

Thanks, I've wanted to hear someone tell me about Haddix. I don't know anyone IRL who's read her.

We liked the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.

Great! I was interested in Brandon Mull as it seems he has many books available.

Are you ONLY looking for sci-fi or YA titles? If he is open to reading something else, I highly recommend the Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks. The first book is Freddy Goes to Florida. They are not as juvenile as the title appears, and my 10-year-old DS absolutely LOVED them. There are 26 in the series, and most were available through our library. (A few are actually sci-fi, in a silly-animal-humor kind of way).

He might like the Kingdom series and The Knights of Arrethtrae series by Chuck Black, the Wally McDoogle series by Bill Myers, and the Cooper Kids Adventure series by Frank Peretti.

Has he read anything by E. Nesbit? She wrote a lot of fantasy type books, and many are available for digital media free because they're out of copyright.

I have Rosemary Sutcliff waiting for the next Ancient history study, but I'll check out The Green Knowe series and The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Thanks, I've wanted to hear someone tell me about Haddix. I don't know anyone IRL who's read her.

We enjoyed all 3 Mysterious Benedict Society books as read-alouds (lucky you have such an independent reader, they are long). There is a 4th out now that we haven't gotten into. The story centers on 4 children who are parentless for a variety of reasons and all are incredibly talented in their own ways. There is suspense and some peril, but nothing too disturbing (although who am I to judge that for your family? :tongue_smilie:)

I, personally enjoyed one of the Haddix series on recommendation from the Children's librarian, but it was juvenile enough (too many happy coincidences) to keep me from picking up others. However, your 10 yo might not be so bothered. There was a fair amount of action and suspense. This was the series set in the future where no one is allowed to have more than 2 children, so 3rd children are all in hiding.

If he likes Fantasy and is reading at YA level, I can not recommend Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men enough. The little blue guys speak with something like a Scottish accent - hopefully not too hard to read? Strong female character, some magic, allusions (and illusions), the Wee Free Men like to fight and drink but they are a bit embarrassed about it.

I just finished the first "Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place" book by Maryrose Wood. I'll be checking out the second.

One PP recommended The Giver by Lois Lowry which was great. Set in the near future with a Big Brother government. There is a loose sequel (or two?) if it strikes a chord.

The Sisters Grimm books are good, but perhaps a little below his level. There is a fair amount of fighting bad guys, and the whole series is a spin on fairy tales. Entertaining.

Happy reading!

Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (same author as for Percy Jackson), what my son is currently hooked on. Egypt instead of Greece is the background.

Something called Wolves of the Beyond series. I don't get it, but no vampires, starts with a wolf pup adopted by a bear--yet still seems to have a lot of fantasy. My son who is close to same age as yours and seems to like some of same reading picked it from a Scholastic book fair.

A book called Storm Warning, part of a series called Dog Whisperer. Seems more realistic, not fantasy--young adult theme in that main character is dealing with race issues and being adopted.

If he likes dogs: Because of Winn-Dixie. Everything for a Dog. A Dog's Life. All more realistic, but some themes heading into the young adult level.

My Side of the Mountain.

Edited by Pen

Based on your list I imagine he will really enjoy ::

The Adventurers Wanted series by Forman

The Merlin Series by T. A. Barron

He might very well enjoy ::

Wolves of Willougby Chase series by Joan Aiken

Redwall series by Brian Jacques

Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle

What about Hobbit and LoTR? Has he read those? And Narnia series? 'Deltora Quest' series might also be popular though perhaps a little easy for him?