Menu

William Wilberforce

Would the movie be appropriate for all audiences? I've heard of this one--didn't know it was about WW.

There are two movies... Neither of them would be for younger kids, in my opinion. Your 16 year old would be ok with the newer one... I'm not sure about the older one... It's amazing, but harsh... depends on what they're use to...

I watched it with my 16yo's, 14yo, and 12yo. My 8yo is intellectually delayed, so he didn't watch it, and neither did my 6yo. I think the subject matter would have been over their heads. I don't recall any sex/nudity in the movie, but I think there might have been mild cursing. (I don't really recall exactly.) I found the movie in my church library, but I don't think it's overtly a "Christian movie". There is a Christian theme to it since it was Christian ideals that motivated Wilberforce. However, I wouldn't consider the movie to be preachy, and I think anyone of any faith could watch it. (Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I watched it with Christian eyes, so I could be not interpreting it as someone of another faith might.)

Thanks. I am a Christian so overt is fine with me. :)

The movie is appropriate. My children have seen it for several years. If you have a particularly sensitive younger elementary kid, maybe not. But I WANTED my kids to see the horror of slavery. Very good movie. And Pitt is the new Sherlock Holmes in the PBS series.

Sounds good. My youngest is 8 and she watches everything that I would never let my oldest watch at the at age. :glare: She'll probably be fine with it.

I read the book before I saw the movie! The book it is based on was much more in depth, especially when it came to recounting how Wilberforce's faith impacted his work to abolish slavery. The movie is great, the book is outstanding!

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery

Edited by TechWife

Here is a wonderful resource.

The Piper book linked above is good - we used it with TOG, but I have to say I love Eric Metaxas. I read this one after I read Bonhoeffer. I love his humor and writing style.

I read the book before I saw the movie! The book it is based on was much more in depth, especially when it came to recounting how Wilberforce's faith impacted his work to abolish slavery. The movie is great, the book is outstanding!

Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery

That last link doesn't work, but I was wondering which book do you think would be more assessable to 14 and 16 year old girls? The books sound wonderful by the way, so thanks for those recommendations.

That last link doesn't work, but I was wondering which book do you think would be more assessable to 14 and 16 year old girls? The books sound wonderful by the way, so thanks for those recommendations.

It's the same book I linked Sydni, the Metaxas book.

The Piper book is probably more accessible. Both books can be previewed at Amazon.