Menu

piano lesson question...what would you do??

My three children have been taking lessons since first grade with this one teacher. I will call her Mrs. K. My kids will be in 3rd, 5th and 6th grade in the fall. The teacher's son is my middle child's best friend and I would consider Mrs. K a friend too....although not a close friend. SHe is a good piano teacher and my children are learning. But I wouldn't consider her a GREAT teacher. I say that because she will pass my children on to the next song if they can just get through it...and my kids, (and probably lots of others too) if they don't like a song (for whatever reason) they don't practice as much as other ones, so come lesson time they don't know it very well. She also doesn't make them go back and replay old songs...once they are done with it, they are done with it. My problem comes in here: I have a REALLY good friend who is also a piano teacher and she has a few openings and would take my kids. I agree much more with her style of teaching and making the kids REALLY know their piece. I also like the importance she puts on learning classical music and playing hymns from our church hymnal (which my 2 older kids can start doing). She makes them continue practicing old pieces so they don't forget and she also quzzes them on the notes (which the other teacher doesn't do). Of course it sounds like a no-brainer as to what I should do. But the issue is, we live in a VERY small, tight-knit town, with her being the mom of my son's best friend I know if I would change, the teacher's feelings will be hurt. I have tried to suggest to her what I would like, (making the child replay a piece for more than a week if needed, more emphasises on note recongition, more classical pieces (from other books other than the basic lesson book), but she either forgets or doesn't agree with me or something, but she says she will do it, but she doesn't. And yes, I can do it at home...but then I run into "Mrs K isn't making me do it"...but I can put my foot down and make it happen...it would just be easier if the teacher would back me up. SO....what would you do??? Any other suggestions as to what I can do to get our teacher to do what I want??

Personally, I prefer the teaching style of your current teacher and would keep my kids there. My children would begin to hate piano if they had a teacher that kept making them play old pieces, especially songs they didn't necessarily enjoy playing, and quizzed them on notes all the time. Your children may thrive with that kind of teaching. I just know my mine would totally balk.

Our piano teacher is 75 years old. She has developed some beautiful musicians, in our small community, with a very gentle approach.

maybe I didn't explain very well....both ladies have a gentle approach, with a very positive mind set. They both make piano fun....my other friend (not the current teacher) just seems to have an understanding of challenging the kids to expand their horizons and actually make them enjoy it. This friend is SUPER with kids and I believe she can make almost anything fun. I don't think my kids would balk at all.

maybe I didn't explain very well....both ladies have a gentle approach, with a very positive mind set. They both make piano fun....my other friend (not the current teacher) just seems to have an understanding of challenging the kids to expand their horizons and actually make them enjoy it. This friend is SUPER with kids and I believe she can make almost anything fun. I don't think my kids would balk at all.

It sounds like your decision is made then :001_smile:. If it's more challenging, and your kids will love it, go for it.

I would expect your teacher to be professional and see that you feel the other teacher would be a better fit. You're certainly not going to change the current teacher's teaching method. You may have some "small town chatter", about defecting to another teacher, but that's just until there is something else to gossip about. It's the nature of small towns.

The year is about to end? I'd schedule a discussion with your current teacher to plan a new contract for next year, and put everything in writing. Be willling to give a little, but work towards your expectations. You are paying for a sercice. kwim? Include an out clause with a time limit. Then if the lessons and teaching don't measure up, you can guilt free move to another teacher.

If she can't agree, move on now.

Our piano teacher had the kids sign a contract too.

I wanted to also say that we had 3 piano teachers over a 5 year span. One, our 2nd after our first teacher retired, didn't last a month with me, because of her attitude, but it was just business.

Finding the right fit for your family can take some tweaking and over time your kids may out grow a teacher's style.

It is normal for children to work with one teacher for a time then switch to another. If your friend is a professional, experienced teacher she should be able to handle students moving on. Maybe you could start with just one child--maybe the oldest--switching over and see how it goes and whether your child really does better with the new teacher. I would tell the old teacher that you just feel this child will benefit from a different teaching style at this point.

I had to quit lessons with our teacher, but didn't want hurt feelings.

All I did was quit lessons for a break, and now we are going to start a new teacher because it fits are schedule better. No discussions about teaching styles or any other hard conversations.

What I tell my students is that your primary goal is not learning the "song" but learning the "tools" so they can learn any song.

Could your teacher be passing them on from a song because they learned the intended objective? With some of the simpler methods, the songs are not meant to be "polished". Those who attempt to polish these songs face burnout rather quickly.

I also let them know that I choose these songs because they are good teaching pieces and that is OK if they don't become their favorite song. Letting them know I'm not trying to dictate their style seems to help getting them to work on songs they may not like.

Personally, I like the style of the first teacher best for my kiddos. But only you know the style which is right for your kiddos. When we had to change piano teachers because the teaching style was too strict and confining, we just told the teacher we had scheduling conflicts and the new teacher had a closer location. We did not get into teaching styles with her.

:grouphug:

What I tell my students is that your primary goal is not learning the "song" but learning the "tools" so they can learn any song.

Could your teacher be passing them on from a song because they learned the intended objective? With some of the simpler methods, the songs are not meant to be "polished". Those who attempt to polish these songs face burnout rather quickly.

I also let them know that I choose these songs because they are good teaching pieces and that is OK if they don't become their favorite song. Letting them know I'm not trying to dictate their style seems to help getting them to work on songs they may not like.

I think this is exactly where she is coming from...but I feel like I don't want my kids to be happy with so-so...not looking for perfection either...just someplace in between. Hmm....something to think about. thanks.

Personally, I like the style of the first teacher best for my kiddos. But only you know the style which is right for your kiddos. When we had to change piano teachers because the teaching style was too strict and confining, we just told the teacher we had scheduling conflicts and the new teacher had a closer location. We did not get into teaching styles with her.

:grouphug:

the personality of the 2nd teacher wouldn't be strict really....and I have learned that most kids will only do what is expected and not more (now, I know that some kids are self-motivators, but many aren't...including my kids)...and if some expects more, they will rise to occasion.

UGH....I am so torn...I hate to take them away from teacher #1...the kids do like her a lot and I do too.

Maybe I will see how doing harder work on the home front this summer works and then go from there for next year.