Menu

Teaching Textbooks spiral-bound book necessary?

EmilyJ

My son has both but prefers to do the problems on scratch paper and put the answer in the computer.

I like having the book to read through though when he has a problem with a lesson, although the same info is on the computer. I guess I'm just old school!

It is nice to have but you could easily get by without it.

We have done TT 7, pre-algebra & algebra 1. I get the text every year thinking "this could be the year we'll need it". I have yet to find a point where we "need" it. If you are trying to cut back to fit in your budget, this is probably something you could cut.

The only time it ever gets pulled out is if ds is stuck on something & I use it to refresh my memory or to see how something was explained to him (what method or wording they used, for example). I could really get the same information from just watching the CD lesson. I probably don't get my money's worth of use from the text, but I will also probably get it again next year because "this could be the year we need it."

We're using TT algebra and have never needed the book.

I know the newer versions are different, but that would have driven my oldest nuts.

He's a very fast reader, and could be halfway done with a lesson before the lecture part was over.

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else?

My daughter has mostly used the text with the cds as backup-opposite of what everyone else is saying. I had to encourage her to use the cds because sometimes it made the difference in correcting a mistake. But she is very old school and prefers to learn most of her subjects by reading. So she gets out the book and notebook paper to work the problems, uses the cd for reinforcement or to see if it helps her understand why she missed whatever she missed.

So it depends on the kid. Make sure you don't make the mistake of letting it depend on the parent ;). Your style and your kids' can certainly vary.