Menu

Thoughts re: self defense class for children?

I am among the ranks of those here who need to find some additional income. I am certified to teach self defense courses. I am considering offering special classes for children graduating from 8th grade and headed toward high school and also for graduating high school seniors who are headed toward college. Perhaps even college graduates moving out into the "real world" on their own.

I came up with the idea when I was struggling with what kind of graduation gift to get for a couple of seniors I know who already seem to have everything they need. I would appreciate any input the Hive might have on this.

Relevant information:

-the class would be a one half day session and much of the information would deal with situational awareness, I would break this up with some role playing and fun but revealing "quizzes". There would also be a physical contact component

-one of the big issues that can be hard to get across to children is that even with a SD class under their belts, they are NOT Rambo and still need to be smart about personal safety

-there are no guarantees that a child with SD experience will be able to defend themselves in all situations, however having such knowledge will help in many circumstances

-the class will involve learning several basic defenses with the goal of escaping to safety, not finishing off the bad guy

-as with any self defense techniques, the students will need to be responsible for reviewing the material every few months in order to keep it fresh in their minds

-I wouldn't want to frighten the children, but would have to talk about "What if an attacker did this to you? What if he/she did that?", etc.

What do you all think? Would any of you purchase a gift certificate for a graduate for such a class? Would you be willing to pay $30 for it? Too high? Too low? Parents would be welcome to observe the class and no prior martial arts experience would be necessary.

If there was enough interest, I would also consider offering a second, advanced class where we would go over some more intense material such as what to do if the attacker has a weapon and what to do if the attacker knocks you down to the ground.

Thanks for your input! And welcome to my R&D team:D.

I would pay $30 for the class. I just took a women's self-defense class with my teen dd, $35 each.

For the graduating 8th graders, I'd offer a parent-child class, maybe $40-50 for a parent-child combo. That way the parents are more likely to practice with the kids.

Cat

I am among the ranks of those here who need to find some additional income. I am certified to teach self defense courses. I am considering offering special classes for children graduating from 8th grade and headed toward high school and also for graduating high school seniors who are headed toward college. Perhaps even college graduates moving out into the "real world" on their own.

I came up with the idea when I was struggling with what kind of graduation gift to get for a couple of seniors I know who already seem to have everything they need. I would appreciate any input the Hive might have on this.

Relevant information:

-the class would be a one half day session and much of the information would deal with situational awareness, I would break this up with some role playing and fun but revealing "quizzes". There would also be a physical contact component

-one of the big issues that can be hard to get across to children is that even with a SD class under their belts, they are NOT Rambo and still need to be smart about personal safety

-there are no guarantees that a child with SD experience will be able to defend themselves in all situations, however having such knowledge will help in many circumstances

-the class will involve learning several basic defenses with the goal of escaping to safety, not finishing off the bad guy

-as with any self defense techniques, the students will need to be responsible for reviewing the material every few months in order to keep it fresh in their minds

-I wouldn't want to frighten the children, but would have to talk about "What if an attacker did this to you? What if he/she did that?", etc.

What do you all think? Would any of you purchase a gift certificate for a graduate for such a class? Would you be willing to pay $30 for it? Too high? Too low? Parents would be welcome to observe the class and no prior martial arts experience would be necessary.

If there was enough interest, I would also consider offering a second, advanced class where we would go over some more intense material such as what to do if the attacker has a weapon and what to do if the attacker knocks you down to the ground.

Thanks for your input! And welcome to my R&D team:D.

$30 is not unreasonable for half day. Do you have competitors? I was thinking for the older students offer a course for one price, you know, seminar style, 3 day workshop, something like that.