Menu

Does anyone know if it is dangerous for a child with a peanut allergy

to live in an area where there are peanut 'farms'?

My dh is talking to a church in SC. It is a rural church that is surrounded by fields that are used for commercial peanut crops. The church parsonage is located in the same area. Would this be a problem for my dd4 who has a fairly severe peanut allergy? My initial reaction is that this would NOT work for her. I imagine peanut dust and 'bits' floating in the air and landing on things or even ingested on accident, especially during planting and harvesting times. But am I overreacting? I really don't know anything about growing peanuts on a large scale. :001_smile:

I would not do that. My ds has a severe peanut allergy, and asthma, and although he has passed an inhalation challenge (sitting with an open jar of peanut butter), I would not feel comfortable having him near peanut agricultural operations on a long-term basis.

You could visit, epipen in hand, but I'd think that the airborne affects may change with the weather.

It can be a problem and I wouldn't do it. I am severely airborne peanut allergic, and I have trouble with hives and minor lip swelling during harvesting season here even though the peanut fields are primarily about 45 minutes south of me. I can't imagine living any closer to them without having a full reaction.

I would not do that. My ds has a severe peanut allergy, and asthma, and although he has passed an inhalation challenge (sitting with an open jar of peanut butter), I would not feel comfortable having him near peanut agricultural operations on a long-term basis.

You could visit, epipen in hand, but I'd think that the airborne affects may change with the weather.

Thanks - I agree with you. We have never done an official inhalation challenge, but if she catches a wiff of peanut butter when we're out somewhere she wants to get away. She just turned 4 in Feb., so I can't really get her to explain to me if she feels any physical reaction to the smell. She just says "it stinks" and she "doesn't like it". She does have quick, severe reactions to contact and (of course) ingestion.

It can be a problem and I wouldn't do it. I am severely airborne peanut allergic, and I have trouble with hives and minor lip swelling during harvesting season here even though the peanut fields are primarily about 45 minutes south of me. I can't imagine living any closer to them without having a full reaction.

Wow! See, it makes me really uncomfortable to put her right in the middle of the fields, quite literally.

I think we will have to tell this church we are not a possible candidate for them.

As a side note: how careful are you regarding foods that are "processed in a plant with peanuts" or "manufactured on equipment that also processes peanuts"?

As a rule, I avoid them with dd. But there are times when I let her go ahead and partake, always wondering if I am going to regret it later.

I wouldn't purposefully chose to live in the middle of peanut fields with an allergic child. My son had no nut allergies as a baby/toddler but did have dairy/egg. He outgrew it. But we had moved to an area with peanut fields. We are east of many peanut fields and a plant processing it. He developed a peanut allergy shortly after living there. It crossed my mind the location was a factor in this new allergy.

So we moved away and his asthma was fine and we had high hopes of him outgrowing his allergy. But we ended up moving back.

I was shocked that after a few month back here his asthma is out of control and is now on multiple medicines to control it. And yes, I wonder if the location to these fields contributed to it. :001_huh:

Wow! See, it makes me really uncomfortable to put her right in the middle of the fields, quite literally.

I think we will have to tell this church we are not a possible candidate for them.

As a side note: how careful are you regarding foods that are "processed in a plant with peanuts" or "manufactured on equipment that also processes peanuts"?

As a rule, I avoid them with dd. But there are times when I let her go ahead and partake, always wondering if I am going to regret it later.

Very careful. 90% of the time if it says processed with peanuts we automatically don't use it. If it's something I can't find an alternate for I call the company and find out is it done on the same line, floor, etc. If all else fails I take a very tiny bite and watch for lip tingles {my first reactive symptom} as a way of telling if it is safe for me.

FYI if you eat out or go by fast food places, Church's Chicken and Chick-Fil-A both fry in peanut oil. If you are airborne reactive stay far away from them - they exhaust the oil to the outside and it can cause a reaction in airborne peanut allergic folks - had it happen to me.

Very careful. 90% of the time if it says processed with peanuts we automatically don't use it. If it's something I can't find an alternate for I call the company and find out is it done on the same line, floor, etc. If all else fails I take a very tiny bite and watch for lip tingles {my first reactive symptom} as a way of telling if it is safe for me.

FYI if you eat out or go by fast food places, Church's Chicken and Chick-Fil-A both fry in peanut oil. If you are airborne reactive stay far away from them - they exhaust the oil to the outside and it can cause a reaction in airborne peanut allergic folks - had it happen to me.

Thank you! I knew that about Chick-Fil-A, but not Church's Chicken. I heard recently that Applebee's uses peanut oil, but I'm not so sure about the source of that one.

I think I will be able to relax a little when dd gets a few years older and can communicate better with me about what she's feeling and when she is feeling it.

I wouldn't purposefully chose to live in the middle of peanut fields with an allergic child. My son had no nut allergies as a baby/toddler but did have dairy/egg. He outgrew it. But we had moved to an area with peanut fields. We are east of many peanut fields and a plant processing it. He developed a peanut allergy shortly after living there. It crossed my mind the location was a factor in this new allergy.

So we moved away and his asthma was fine and we had high hopes of him outgrowing his allergy. But we ended up moving back.

I was shocked that after a few month back here his asthma is out of control and is now on multiple medicines to control it. And yes, I wonder if the location to these fields contributed to it. :001_huh:

So sorry to hear about your son and his struggles. I hope you are able to get things under control for him soon. :grouphug:

Well, it's something that the more you're exposed to it, the more you can be sensitive. So, like any allergy, that's a serious concern. My daughter is allergic to peanuts, and I wouldn't be comfortable with that situation. What does your Allergist say?

The answer from the doctor was "she is probably not in danger unless she ingests the peanuts or comes in contact with them". I am not sure how that was supposed to help!

I think I'm going to have to go with my momma instincts on this one and stay away. DH agrees with me, he is not comfortable with it either.

One of my kids has a peanut sensitivity (so not currently at an anaphylactic reaction level). To be honest, I wouldn't even consider it. Why take the chance?

I agree!

We have been waiting (for what feels like a loooong time) for God to show us our next place of ministry and when this church contacted us we were initially very excited about it. After learning about the peanut fields we really didn't think it would work out for us. But we don't want to give the church a definite "no" until we do our research on the issue.

DH does his research by asking medical and farming 'professionals' - I ask the hive!! You guys are awesome and you never let me down!

Thank you!

Thanks - I agree with you. We have never done an official inhalation challenge, but if she catches a wiff of peanut butter when we're out somewhere she wants to get away. She just turned 4 in Feb., so I can't really get her to explain to me if she feels any physical reaction to the smell. She just says "it stinks" and she "doesn't like it". She does have quick, severe reactions to contact and (of course) ingestion.

If she's been exposed to the smell of peanuts/peanut butter and didn't have a reaction, odds are she's not allergic to the airborne particulates, although with touch sensitivity, she will likely develop a reaction at some point in her life to airborne exposure (sorry!).

That said, if it gives any reassurance, peanuts grow underground, so unless they're being harvested, it's highly improbable she'll even be exposed to airborne smell, particles, proteins or the like.....so if it's not harvest time, I'd consider going, but wouldn't stay next to a peanut farm or processing plant.

I have a severely allergic child and I think that would be a huge problem for us. I don't think I would want to take that risk. Airborne things bother my child so I can't imagine living so near to a large amount of peanuts. I don't think it would be a good idea.

My son is allergic to peanuts, and per his allergist it is safe for him to eat at Chick-Fil-A and other places that use peanut oil. Apparently the oil is processed in such a way that it does not cause the same reactions.

My son is allergic to peanuts, and per his allergist it is safe for him to eat at Chick-Fil-A and other places that use peanut oil. Apparently the oil is processed in such a way that it does not cause the same reactions.

I was told that too - then I had a ANA reaction while in the car waiting for someone else getting food. The only possible cause was the cooking oil, which they were exhausting the fumes from when I had the reaction and blew over us.

It's rare but yes you can be allergic to the oil too.