Menu

Grading?

5 Hikers

Ok, I've never graded nor cared to but this year I need to come up with grades.

If I take a subject where we had daily assignments plus tests, what percentage do you give each of those? Would you do 40% for tests and 60% daily or switch it? Or give it something else?

Also, how do you account for the fact that I never let him leave wrong answers. On daily work and tests I mark them wrong, but then I go back and make him redo them all. How do you grade that?

Thanks!

I do not give grades for daily assignments because I consider them opportunities to learn.

:iagree:

Along with test grades though, I do adjust it for attitude and how hard they try. My dd attends public school and they include this in the grades, as well as attendance & preparedness (is the homework done). Now ds is here every single day, and does not get away with not doing homework, so it generally comes down to attitude.

I do not give grades for daily assignments because I consider them opportunities to learn. I give grades solely on demonstrated mastery in a test.

:iagree:

Another vote for grades based on tests and any special projects or labs. I don't grade daily work. We go over it and they correct any mistakes. Daily work is for learning, not grading.

Ok, so do you give them the score they made when they first took the test or do you adjust somehow to include the work they redid?

We teach to mastery. In math, for example, I give a pretest. If the pretest grade is an A, the student gets that A and is done. If it is less, my kid is sent back to review some more and can try the test when he has prepared better. A grade of less than B is not acceptable and requires additional work on the material, not moving on.

I do not give credit for correcting wrong answers - if my kid can not do it right, we go over the missed problems and then he gets a different test the second time around.

Ok, I've never graded nor cared to but this year I need to come up with grades.

If I take a subject where we had daily assignments plus tests, what percentage do you give each of those? Would you do 40% for tests and 60% daily or switch it? Or give it something else?

Also, how do you account for the fact that I never let him leave wrong answers. On daily work and tests I mark them wrong, but then I go back and make him redo them all. How do you grade that?

Thanks!

We don't grade either but DD would like me to. If I end up doing it I would probably give 60% to daily, 30% to tests and 10% to attitude;). For wrong answers that are redone give 1/2 points or something similar.