Menu

Baby bunny nest question

Last week we watched a mama bunny carefully, and in full view of us, build a snug little nest in the corner of one of our backyard lilac beds for her babies. She knew we were watching, too! It was strange. All I can think is that she saw the raised beds go in and thought, "Ooooh, cafeteria!!!"

Anyway, since that day, we have not seen her once! We have checked out the nest, and we know the bunnies are alive in there because we can see it jiggling. But we never see her. When do mama bunnies come back to take care of the babies? And don't bunnies live underground? That seems so much more practical than in the easily visible corner of our yard (three feet from our garden :glare:).

I really thought the human activity in that general area would make her move them, but apparently not *sigh*

We had a nest in our raised bed one spring. The mama was gone during the day but came back at night. Maybe she was avoiding drawing our attention by being visible. We went away one weekend and when we came back, they were all gone. And they were just a couple weeks old, if that.

Don't touch them. Stay far away. Unless you want them to die that is.

We had a rabbit make her nest literally two feet right outside our back door. We even have an 80 lb lab that runs around the yard all the time. You'd think that would have discouraged her from building her nest right by our house. Nope.

Well, I'm not sure how many babies were in the nest. But I saw my dog with his head in the nest, and he pulled a baby out. I got it from him, and I didn't see any others. Either the mom moved them or he ate them. I don't know. Anyway, I called the vet and he told me that baby rabbits usually don't live without their mom.

Mama bunnies only go to the nest about twice a day to avoid predators finding out where the nest is. If you're afraid the mama bunny has disappeared, take two small twigs and make an 'X' over the nest. Nothing too heavy or else the mama won't be able to move them. If the twigs are moved, then you know she came back. You can also check their bellies. If they feel empty that's a sign that she hasn't been there. Do NOT handle the buns unless needed because the stress can kill them. If the twigs aren't moved after a day and their bellies are empty, call your local rescue group.

I have raised wild buns in the past and it's not easy, but they can be saved if in the proper hands. Good luck!

Mama bunnies only go to the nest about twice a day to avoid predators finding out where the nest is. If you're afraid the mama bunny has disappeared, take two small twigs and make an 'X' over the nest. Nothing too heavy or else the mama won't be able to move them. If the twigs are moved, then you know she came back. You can also check their bellies. If they feel empty that's a sign that she hasn't been there. Do NOT handle the buns unless needed because the stress can kill them. If the twigs aren't moved after a day and their bellies are empty, call your local rescue group.

I have raised wild buns in the past and it's not easy, but they can be saved if in the proper hands. Good luck!

:iagree:

We've had to take baby bunnies into a rescue group because the mother rabbit had died, probably due to one of our dogs :(

The information above is what was told to me. Mama bunnies do not sit on their nest. Also, bunnies are put on their own much earlier than you would expect. They are still quite tiny and appear young. I found a good website that showed the way to tell whether or not they should be on their own yet.

:iagree:

Also, bunnies are put on their own much earlier than you would expect. They are still quite tiny and appear young.

Yes, exactly. When I released my baby buns they were so tiny, but ready to be on their own. If I remember correctly, they go off on their own around 3 - 4 weeks old.

Thanks all. Of course, not long after I posted, as we were pulling out to go to speech therapy today, I saw a rabbit grazing in our side yard. I'm hopeful that that's the mama. I'll try the twigs method, though I hate to go over there again at all. I mean, I don't spend all day looking out the window or anything, so it's very possible I'm just not seeing when she sneaks in. I guess I just thought she'd spend more time protecting them and keeping them warm by sleeping with them, but I know nothing whatsoever about wild bunnies, really, so I'm sure my expectations are way off.

Anyway, hopefully they'll continue to do well and then move the heck away from our garden ASAP :lol:

My nephew and his friends dug up a bunny nest a few years ago. They thought the bunnies were abandoned so they brought them all home. My sister said it was like watching clowns come out of a circus car when the boys were taking the bunnies out of their coat pockets...they just kept coming. 14 babies!!! She immediately called me and we went back to the spot that was torn to shreds. The internet said that no mommy bunny would come back to a nest that distroyed so we tried to foster them...to no avail. Slowly, they all died. It also said bunny moms only come back a few times so as not to lead predators there. I would leave them alone.