Menu

WWS Week 7 Day 4: Does anyone have examples for this particular assigment?

This is dd9's rough draft. I haven't gone through the rubric with her yet. She is finishing it tomorrow. This was a tough one for her. HTH!

Johannes Kepler, a student at the University in 1590, learned astronomy.

He excitedly remarked, “I am moved by an exceedingly powerful desire for knowledge of the heavens.” One of his teachers also taught him heliocentrism because he believed Copernicus’ theory. Copernicus claimed that all the planets move in a circular way around the sun. Other people believed in geocentrism by stating that all the other planets orbit the earth. It was like taking sides. One person would choose geocentrism, and another person would choose heliocentrism.

In 1600, Kepler met Tycho Brahe and became his employee. Working together, they observed the orbits of the planets. They also admitted all orbit were circles. However, there was one problem that puzzled them the most: Why did Mars move slower and sometimes faster? Later, Tycho Brahe died and Kepler kept on trying stressfully in a mathematical way to figure out how to solve it. Finally, after five years of hard work, Kepler claimed that he had solved it. Mars was going in an ellipse. Kepler also made a law of planetary motion. Planets move in an elliptical orbit, and the sun is one focal point of orbit.

I believe there are several samples of the Johannes Kepler assignment also on the 'Post WWS assignments Here' section if you want to dig through them.

I did want to say that these first few assignments like this are just plain hard and messy and HARD to get into if you are just starting this style of writing. It really does get easier. It's hard for them to write about a topic they don't know much about also, so google / youtube / etc. and try to find more info in order to get his interest piqued. We definitely had to do that early on, especially on the assignments where the notetaking and outlining had already been given and you were just supposed to take it and write.

I believe there are several samples of the Johannes Kepler assignment also on the 'Post WWS assignments Here' section if you want to dig through them.

I did want to say that these first few assignments like this are just plain hard and messy and HARD to get into if you are just starting this style of writing. It really does get easier. It's hard for them to write about a topic they don't know much about also, so google / youtube / etc. and try to find more info in order to get his interest piqued. We definitely had to do that early on, especially on the assignments where the notetaking and outlining had already been given and you were just supposed to take it and write.

:iagree:

This content is very NEW to dd. (We spent a day studying Kepler before she even started this lesson.) She has not outlined or done any science writing thus far in her short writing career. I do love the hand-holding that the IG provides. :)

:iagree: We found some videos to watch about Kepler and that was very helpfu (maybe SaDonna linked them?).

This is my ds' paper. It hasn't been revised.

Kepler's Discovery of Elliptical Orbits

Draft 1

In Johannes Kepler's childhood, most astronomers thought that the stars and planets orbited around the earth, which was at the center of the solar system. This theory was called geocentrism. Then an astronomer called Copernicus came along with a new theory that the sun was at the center of the solar system and all the planets orbited around it. This theory was called heliocentrism.

Johannes Kepler studied astronomy when he attended university in the 1590s. Kepler studied with one of Copernicus' followers and from him he learned the theory of heliocentrism.

Next he helped astronomer Tycho Brahe in his observation of the planets' orbits. From Copernicus's theory they thought that the planets had circular orbits. In their observation of Mars, they noticed that it had different speeds at different times. Mars moved in a way that they could not decipher.

Tycho Brahe died, but Kepler continued Brahe's research on his own. The orbit of Mars was his focus for the next five years. Kepler failed forty times to find a mathematical formula for the movements of Mars, but he kept trying. Kepler said of his work, "If God is concerned with astronomy, which piety desires to believe, then I hope that I shall achieve something in this domain."

In 1605, Kepler finally understood that the orbit of Mars was an ellipse rather than a circle as Copernicus had said. This theory explained the strange patterns of Mars because the planets moved faster when closer to the sun and slower when farther away. Today we call this theory "Kepler's First Law of Planetary Motion".

Thanks! I did search that thread. I think I checked through all the pages 3 times because I didn't want to be told to look there :D. I'm sure I missed it.

I will google/ you tube/ and find videos for him on Netflix to get him going. I'm glad you say that it gets easier.

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting these. I really appreciate it.

This is dd9's rough draft. I haven't gone through the rubric with her yet. She is finishing it tomorrow. This was a tough one for her. HTH!

Johannes Kepler, a student at the University in 1590, learned astronomy.

He excitedly remarked, “I am moved by an exceedingly powerful desire for knowledge of the heavens.†One of his teachers also taught him heliocentrism because he believed Copernicus’ theory. Copernicus claimed that all the planets move in a circular way around the sun. Other people believed in geocentrism by stating that all the other planets orbit the earth. It was like taking sides. One person would choose geocentrism, and another person would choose heliocentrism.

In 1600, Kepler met Tycho Brahe and became his employee. Working together, they observed the orbits of the planets. They also admitted all orbit were circles. However, there was one problem that puzzled them the most: Why did Mars move slower and sometimes faster? Later, Tycho Brahe died and Kepler kept on trying stressfully in a mathematical way to figure out how to solve it. Finally, after five years of hard work, Kepler claimed that he had solved it. Mars was going in an ellipse. Kepler also made a law of planetary motion. Planets move in an elliptical orbit, and the sun is one focal point of orbit.

:iagree: We found some videos to watch about Kepler and that was very helpfu (maybe SaDonna linked them?).

This is my ds' paper. It hasn't been revised.

Kepler's Discovery of Elliptical Orbits

Draft 1

In Johannes Kepler's childhood, most astronomers thought that the stars and planets orbited around the earth, which was at the center of the solar system. This theory was called geocentrism. Then an astronomer called Copernicus came along with a new theory that the sun was at the center of the solar system and all the planets orbited around it. This theory was called heliocentrism.

Johannes Kepler studied astronomy when he attended university in the 1590s. Kepler studied with one of Copernicus' followers and from him he learned the theory of heliocentrism.

Next he helped astronomer Tycho Brahe in his observation of the planets' orbits. From Copernicus's theory they thought that the planets had circular orbits. In their observation of Mars, they noticed that it had different speeds at different times. Mars moved in a way that they could not decipher.

Tycho Brahe died, but Kepler continued Brahe's research on his own. The orbit of Mars was his focus for the next five years. Kepler failed forty times to find a mathematical formula for the movements of Mars, but he kept trying. Kepler said of his work, "If God is concerned with astronomy, which piety desires to believe, then I hope that I shall achieve something in this domain."

In 1605, Kepler finally understood that the orbit of Mars was an ellipse rather than a circle as Copernicus had said. This theory explained the strange patterns of Mars because the planets moved faster when closer to the sun and slower when farther away. Today we call this theory "Kepler's First Law of Planetary Motion".

Here is my ds(11)'s version

When Johannes Kepler studied at university he learned about Copernicus's new theory of heliocentricism which hypothesized that the sun is at the center of the solar system. However, most people still believed the earth was at the center of the solar system not the sun. After he finished university, Keplar became the assistant of the famous astronomer Tycho Brahe. During this time, his job was to track the orbit of Mars. They both believe that all orbits were circular. Thus, when they noticed that Mars was speeding up and slowing down, they were unable to understand why. Unexpectedly Tycho Brahe died. Keplar continued trying to find an explanation for the movements of Mars. He struggled with this problem for five years. He once wrote, "I was almost driven to madness considering and calculating this matter. I could not find out why the planet would rather go on an elliptical orbit." In 1605, Keplar solved the problem and formed his first law of planetary motion. "The planetary orbit is elliptical and the sun, the source of movement is at one of the foci of this ellipse." He published this work in 1609, but it was not accepted immediately.

That's great! Thank you. Ds will be working on his rough draft this afternoon *cross fingers*.

Here is my ds(11)'s version

When Johannes Kepler studied at university he learned about Copernicus's new theory of heliocentricism which hypothesized that the sun is at the center of the solar system. However, most people still believed the earth was at the center of the solar system not the sun. After he finished university, Keplar became the assistant of the famous astronomer Tycho Brahe. During this time, his job was to track the orbit of Mars. They both believe that all orbits were circular. Thus, when they noticed that Mars was speeding up and slowing down, they were unable to understand why. Unexpectedly Tycho Brahe died. Keplar continued trying to find an explanation for the movements of Mars. He struggled with this problem for five years. He once wrote, "I was almost driven to madness considering and calculating this matter. I could not find out why the planet would rather go on an elliptical orbit." In 1605, Keplar solved the problem and formed his first law of planetary motion. "The planetary orbit is elliptical and the sun, the source of movement is at one of the foci of this ellipse." He published this work in 1609, but it was not accepted immediately.

Johannes Kepler studied heliocentrism at a university in the 1950s. Heliocentrism is a theory that the sun is at the center of the solar system. At that time, most people believed that the earth is at the center of the solar system which was called, geocentrism.

In 1600, Johannes worked as an assistant for Tycho Brahe and studied the orbit of the planets for a year. The movement of Mars puzzled them. As a result, Kepler looked for a mathematical explanation. He said, “I was almost driven to madness considering and calculating this matter. I could not find out why the planet would rather go on an elliptical orbit” Eventually he realized that the planet had an elliptical orbit. Later he made the “Kepler’s first law of planetary motion.”

Please give feedback. Thank you.

My daughter (10, 5th grade) just finished this week and I think it is the first one that really came together for her. It was also the first one that came close to 150 wds.

We spent some time together going over which details she wanted to include, but she did the writing by herself. This is before we went over spelling and punctuation.

Heliocentrism means the sun is at the center of the solar sytem. Copernicus said all the orbits were an exact circle.

In the beginning, Johannes Kepler worked as an apprentice to a fifthteenth centuary astronomer, Tyco Brahe. They both thought the orbits were circle because Copernicus said so. They studied Mars and pictures of Mars, and could not figure out why it moves as it does.

Then the intelegent astronomer Tyco Brahe died in 1601.

Afterwards, Kepler tried to find an answer to the peculiar movements of Mars. He tried and tried to find an explanation for over five years. Eventuualy, he found that the orbits must be an ellispse. “The planetary orbit is elliptical and the sun, the sourse of movement, is at one of the foci of this ellispse†he said. With his discovoreries, he wrote a book called “Keplers First law of Planetary Motionâ€

Johannes Kepler studied heliocentrism at a university in the 1950s. Heliocentrism is a theory that the sun is at the center of the solar system. At that time, most people believed that the earth is at the center of the solar system which was called, geocentrism.

In 1600, Johannes worked as an assistant for Tycho Brahe and studied the orbit of the planets for a year. The movement of Mars puzzled them. As a result, Kepler looked for a mathematical explanation. He said, “I was almost driven to madness considering and calculating this matter. I could not find out why the planet would rather go on an elliptical orbit†Eventually he realized that the planet had an elliptical orbit. Later he made the “Kepler’s first law of planetary motion.â€

Please give feedback. Thank you.

I think your son did a great job! With each assignment, I am more impressed with the framework and organization in this writing program. I wish I had this kind of writing practice while I was in school!

I think your son did a great job! With each assignment, I am more impressed with the framework and organization in this writing program. I wish I had this kind of writing practice while I was in school!

Thank you! I wish I had this too! I wouldn't be doubting my teaching abilities. :lol:

Disclaimer: that was not really rough rough draft.... we went through it about 2x and this is what he came up with.

Okay, this is DS9's rough draft. He's going to create a final draft today, and I'll post it when he does.

In the 1590′s, Johannes Keppler was a student at university and learned about heliocentrism. Heliocentrism was Copernicus’ idea and said that the sun is the center of the solar system. Geocentrism was a different theory that said the Earth was the center of the solar system and that the Earth remained still. Some astronomers believed the sun was center of the solar system, but not all. In 1600-1601, Keppler labored as an assistant for Tycho Brahe. Brahe implied that all the orbits of the planets were circles, but later observed Mars and realized that Mars seems to speed up and slow down in its orbit. In 1601, Tycho Brahe passed away, and Keppler attempted to discover the explanation for the behavior of Mars. He had difficulty for five years with this problem. Keppler concluded that the orbit must be an ellipse. Afterwards, he theorized that all planets travel in elliptical orbits. When planets are closer to the sun, they move faster, and when farther away, more slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I think it breaks basic writing down in a logical matter. Writing is not magic. There is form to writing. It's not a mystery. It should not be a mystery. Folks should not think they 'can't write'. One doesn't have to be Herman Melville to write a decent paper at a high school or college level.

Sure, there are 'writers' among us, but for most, we don't need to prepare to write The Great American Novel. Understanding the basic 'nuts & bolts' of writing clearly is a helpful skill, even if the only thing one ever writes is a letter to the editor of a local newspaper, or comment section of an online article. (Most of those make me crazy.)

I am trying to let the program do what it needs to do. I tend towards 'wanting more'. However, in the end, I think making the framework part of one's working knowledge is enough. The 'extra', the 'better', can come later. I can see improvement in technical slills. My dc was always a very enthusiastic and good 'creative' writer, but WWS is building pragmatic and specific skills. The bigger issue here is that my dc is not interested in this program. lol Not enjoying doing the work, and is trying to hurry through as quickly as possible. Dc does like like the articles and lit selections, but doesn't want to write about them. ;) I think dc would be doing amazing passages if this was being done with a teacher who was not Mom. I am thinking of farming the program out to a tutor.

Edited by LibraryLover