Menu

Learning French in France

Legomom

I am working on learning French with my two ds, both turning 12 this summer. We are planning to go to France next spring for 2-3 months and have been researching long-term rentals throughout the country. Our primary goal in going is for the two ds to learn French. I feel that we are under some time pressure, because if we can go to France next spring versus when they are older it will be better for learning the language.

My husband and I would also like to learn French but I feel like it is more of a priority for my kids due to their age.

In the meantime, I am trying to decide what will be the best option to maximize language learning opportunities while we are there. Some of the things that we have thought of are:

1- Immersion school for a couple of weeks. We would go as a family and they could have breakout sessions for portions of it -- this is per an initial email discussion with a school. This would be pricey.

2- They could attend public school in France -- my husband likes this idea but we don't know anyone there so we wouldn't be able to do this as a visitor, I don't think. My kids aren't crazy about this option.

3. Hire a private tutor -- have someone come in (or we could meet them) for a couple times per week. We are thinking of staying in a village, which then might also give us a bit of a local connection. Not quite sure what the best route would be for finding one.

We are still in the planning stages but right now are hoping to find a place in a village where we can go to the farmer's market, church, concerts without renting a car long-term

I would love to hear any ideas that you might have. I think our fears are that we won't get much chance to practice the language while we are there, since it will be a temporary stay.

I think you have to be realistic about what you can achieve. I went to France for a month when I was thirteen. I already had about three years of French from school. I stayed in a French family where no one spoke English, so I was completely immersed for a month. I came out with a bit more facility than I went in with, but I was not in the least fluent.

I moved with my boys to China when one was four and the other seven. They had weekly Chinese lessons and daily play sessions with native speakers - between ten and twenty hours a week in total, I would say. They were otherwise in an English-speaking environment, apart from going out, shopping, etc. It took quite a few months before they were able to communicate at all. I would say that they started to have enough Chinese to talk to another child at the playground after about six months.

Just to give you an idea.....

Laura

I have done short-term immersion courses (6 weeks) in Quebec, where I went to French classes during the day at my current language level, and lived with a family who spoke no English. I also studied Norwegian for a year at university, then went to live and work for 3 months in the summer. (I later lived in Norway for 4 years.)

In both cases, it was very helpful to have basic knowledge of the language, grammar and a base of vocabulary ahead of time. Then, there was the unforseen hurdle of jumping into areas using completely different dialects of the languages than I had studied. If you are planning on living in a smaller village in France, make sure you study in that dialect or it will be like learning a different language all over again. It would probably be better to try and engage a private tutor, so that you and your dc can be working at your own level. In very small groups, you will also be forced to talk more, which is a good thing when learning a language. Also, try to find ways to interact with native speakers as much as possible, possibly through sport or other activities.

Guest luvinhs

Hi Karen,

I am currently in France, and a native French speaker. My boys are bilingual and they were born in WA state ;-) Are you planning to go to France this year or next year? If I can be of any help, I'll be happy to do so.

Blessings,

Thanks for the input. I am struggling right now wondering if it is worth the time and money to make the trip. In some ways I feel like how could it NOT be worth it, but on the other hand it is a big commitment. Luvinhs, I may take you up on your offer to pm -- thanks! I also have a post on the Rick Steves board and have received helpful comments there as well, including a suggestion to go in the fall, so that they can sign up for sports. I thought about trying to volunteer while we were there, but have heard that it is mostly English speaking groups that do that and it isn't really part of the culture in France? Well, I will keep thinking about it-- hard decision!

I majored in French in college and never ended up there for many reasons. It definitely takes being there to gain fluency.

However, we hosted a French student for three weeks last summer in an immersion program. You could certainly try contacting the people through the program to find out about any thoughts or programs, etc. http://leccapitalregion.blogspot.com/p/test.html

I wish I could go to France for a couple of months! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a great adventure. I was a French major and have lived in France.

I would highly suggest that the adults be on a different track than the kids. Kids learn through play and interaction with other kids.

If there is some way that your boys can interact with French kids, that would be the ideal. Putting them in a French public school is one way to do that. I have friends who went to France for a year and put their kids in the local public schools. It went well for some of the kids and less well for some of the others. It depends partly on the child and his attitude towards learning the language and culture.

Or, if there is some other activity or group for kids, that could work also. Sports or music, for example. But the French kids will be in school during the time you are there, so that is the most likely place.

The French also have Catholic schools, so if the public school doesn't work out, a Catholic school might be an option.

Hiring a tutor is also an option. My nephew did that in Guatemala to learn Spanish. In Guatemala, you can go and get a cheap Spanish tutor who just talks with you for a couple of hours per day. In France, the rate is probably a lot higher.

I would probably try to get your kids into French schools and the adults can get a tutor.

Good luck. Bonne chance.

Thanks for the additional ideas. My husband has been leaning towards not going at this point because of the cost/benefit but I am still undecided. I am excited to read the Year in France blog. Also, I hadn't thought of Catholic schools as an option -- I am just afraid that it might be overwhelming to my kids since they won't have a lot of French going in and they are both fairly cautious. Not shy exactly but not outgoing either.