Menu

My parent's 50th anniversary

My parent's 50th anniversary is coming up. They do not want a party - they are very private people. I suggested to my siblings we pay for a special trip. My sister insisted that we ask about the party. Well, I called and talked with my mom and she jumped at the idea of a trip. She said they were talking about it over dinner last night, and they really want to go to these two possible places they have always wanted to go. I said, "Come up with the dates and we will all plan it!" So my mom agreed to call me back tomorrow morning with details.

When I called my sister, she still is wanting to have a party or a large family get to-gether. She insists that everyone she knows says we should have a party. She is NOT married. She asked me what I thought, and I told her that I don't want to spend my anniversary with other people. That is a personal thing and everyone is different - we asked our parents and they don't want a party.

Ok, so my sister wants me to talk to them again about this party. We are all hundreds of miles away. My sister gets funny about some things - like she still gets mad that my kids don't open her Christmas gifts in front of her even though she has never spent Christmas with us.

I mean, what do I say to get my sister to realize we are doing what my parents want. This is after all about them, not about anyone else!

Thanks,

ReneeR

Tell her to talk to your parents herself, and to stop using you as a go-between.

Also, remind her that this isn't about her and what she wants, but rather, your parents and what they want.

But really, don't get stuck in the middle. That sort of thing never ends well.

:grouphug:

Tell her to talk to your parents herself, and to stop using you as a go-between.

Also, remind her that this isn't about her and what she wants, but rather, your parents and what they want.

But really, don't get stuck in the middle. That sort of thing never ends well.

:grouphug:

:iagree:

Yes, have your sister talk directly to your parents. My parents will be married 50 years in 2015. My siblings and I had talked about a party and we knew that our parents just wouldn't be into that. So, instead, we are all - my parents, my husband, me, and our four kids, my brother, his wife, and their four girls, and my sister, her husband, and their son, and possibly our uncle (mom's brother who has always been single) - going on a cruise together. My parents thought that would be a fabulous idea. They'd just not enjoy a party like your parents. Your parents need to tell your sister.

We sent my parents ona trip for their 40th. They loved the trip. As their 50th approached my parents told us they were taking us to dinner--I think they knew we would want to do something and we (my siblings and I) were not in a financial position to do anything big right at that time. It was a nice low key dinner.

My parents never wanted a party.